X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For those that wonder why we care

I'm posting this excerpt for all those that wonder why as Plumbers we seem so uncompromising when it comes to our trade. Most of us don't take our trade lightly. We fully understand the legal and moral responsibilities involved.

Using a qualified plumber insures that they are able to provide us with safe drinking water and proper sanitation. Doctors have long recognized that these factors alone are one reason why we are capable of being disease free. Dr. Lewis Thomas, former head of New York’s Sloan Kettering Cancer Research Center and author of numerous articles and books that explain the glories of medicine to the lay person wrote in the 1984 spring edition of The Foreign Policy Journal the following:

“There is no question that our health has improved spectacularly in the past century. One thing seems certain: It did not happen because of improvements in medicine, or medical science, or even the presence of doctors, much of the credit should go to the plumbers and sanitary engineers of the western world. The contamination of drinking water, was at one time the single greatest cause of human disease and death for us. It remains so, along with starvation and malaria for the third world. Typhoid fever, cholera and dysentery were the chief threats to survival in the early part of the 19th century. Today, cholera is unheard of in this country. It would surely reappear if not for sanitary plumbing practices.”

Dr. Thomas is a world renowned physician and researcher. Like all great men, he is able to discern truths about the world beyond his specialty. Keep Dr. Thomas’s words in mind the next time you draw a glass of water from the kitchen tap. Human nature is such that we take for granted the benefits of indoor plumbing. The last time you woke up in the middle of the night to use the bathroom you didn’t have to go to an outhouse. Or when you got up in the morning, a nice hot shower helped jump start your day. These everyday occurrences all attribute to the fact that sanitary plumbing, even though often overlooked and forgotten, protects good health. The next time you encounter an ignorant person who demeans the importance of the plumbing industry,politely remind them that “The Plumber Protects The Health Of The Nation”
    sigpic

Re: For those that wonder why we care

Excellent post.

Comment

This post is getting buried, I believe this post should be the nomination for the 2009 best post.
      sigpic

Robert

Comment

Thank you NHM,
        The industry has educated us through schools and/or in the field.It has proved to us the physics of plumbing by those who have not applied the procedures and practices.We care when we see something that is wrong and needs to be brought up to a sanitary,dependable,lasting system.For all of us in the trade understand that what we improve must last for many years.Many times long after the customer who is compensating us is gone so we think past their individual needs.

Comment

Originally posted by westcoastplumber View Post
          This post is getting buried, I believe this post should be the nomination for the 2009 best post.
          And just how many nominations are you planning on making by then.

My friend

Comment

outstanding post, i think that it said it all and its ery true. i also want to know how many awards you think us plumbers should win Robert....
            if u cant bedazzle em with briliance, baffle em with bulls&*t

Comment

In a world of adversity dealing with customers expectations, bidding wars, liability and competing with others who cut dangerous, unethical corners to get work, I often forget the significance of what we do.
              Thank you for the reminder.

Comment

Yeah, sometimes I love being a plumber. Its not as glamorous as medicine or law or what-have-you, but sometimes I feel like a wizard or something. I manipulate the physical world for the comfort and health of my customers. Give them clean, hot showers on demand; wash their waste away in a sanitary manner; etc. Its fun and rewarding.
                Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

It's really amazing isn't it? The impact that plumbers have had in all but eliminating diseases that killed thousands of people. Recently the American Medical Association published a paper that cited sanitary plumbing as the number one reason for the elimination of diseases like typhoid, cholera, tetanus, ect in modern civilization. Not anti-boitics, not c.a.t. scan machines, or micro-surgery, Plumbing.
                  sigpic

Comment

I agree 100% I have been told over and over again by a plumbing inspector that "The Health and Welfare of this nation is in our hands" and that we are Doctors of Plumbology
                    ________
                    Fe Engine
                    Last edited by TOPDAWG; 02-24-2011, 05:34 PM.
                    Mike

Comment

http://www.ua322.org/training/health.htm

“ If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” Albert Einstein
                      We can only deduce from this that Einstein knew something that so
                      many seem to have forgotten. Which is that a properly installed and
                      maintained plumbing system is more important than smashing atoms.
                      Last edited by Bob D.; 08-31-2008, 04:31 PM. Reason: added Einstein quote
                      ---------------
                      Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                      ---------------
                      “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                      ---------
                      "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                      ---------
                      sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

I was checking out past 5 star posts, being that I've not been on the forum that long. I thought this one was good, worth bumping back up for those that haven't seen it yet.
                        sigpic3:00, I mean 5:00, and work is done. Time to crack a cold one.

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                          I'm posting this excerpt for all those that wonder why as Plumbers we seem so uncompromising when it comes to our trade. Most of us don't take our trade lightly. We fully understand the legal and moral responsibilities involved.

Using a qualified plumber insures that they are able to provide us with safe drinking water and proper sanitation. Doctors have long recognized that these factors alone are one reason why we are capable of being disease free. Dr. Lewis Thomas, former head of New York’s Sloan Kettering Cancer Research Center and author of numerous articles and books that explain the glories of medicine to the lay person wrote in the 1984 spring edition of The Foreign Policy Journal the following:

“There is no question that our health has improved spectacularly in the past century. One thing seems certain: It did not happen because of improvements in medicine, or medical science, or even the presence of doctors, much of the credit should go to the plumbers and sanitary engineers of the western world. The contamination of drinking water, was at one time the single greatest cause of human disease and death for us. It remains so, along with starvation and malaria for the third world. Typhoid fever, cholera and dysentery were the chief threats to survival in the early part of the 19th century. Today, cholera is unheard of in this country. It would surely reappear if not for sanitary plumbing practices.”

Dr. Thomas is a world renowned physician and researcher. Like all great men, he is able to discern truths about the world beyond his specialty. Keep Dr. Thomas’s words in mind the next time you draw a glass of water from the kitchen tap. Human nature is such that we take for granted the benefits of indoor plumbing. The last time you woke up in the middle of the night to use the bathroom you didn’t have to go to an outhouse. Or when you got up in the morning, a nice hot shower helped jump start your day. These everyday occurrences all attribute to the fact that sanitary plumbing, even though often overlooked and forgotten, protects good health. The next time you encounter an ignorant person who demeans the importance of the plumbing industry,politely remind them that “The Plumber Protects The Health Of The Nation”

Be nicer if these were your own words, and not those of some respected spin doctor

Sounds good thought

Comment

Not a spin doctor, a real doctor. The guy was the keynote speaker at a medical convention.
                            sigpic

Comment

Great post NHmaster...... It really is true, look at the third world countries, they are disease reidden etc, becasue of UNSANITARY conditions!!! They dont have clean water because for lack of better terms they are pooping in the same water they are drinking!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X