X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air getting into water system

We have a well, recently replaced the pump and check valve (40' down). This feeds our house with a pressure tank, screen filter, iron filter and water softener. (in that order)

Recently I notice we get a lot of air in our taps and water system, the faucets will spit and spurt like they do when you have the water off for a repair and then turn it on again.

I have bypassed the iron filter and the softener to try and isolate but that makes no difference. The well pump was replaced 6 months ago and the check valve (on top of the pump) as well, but the problem is more recent than that.

If I have a leak in the system, I would expect to see water pressure issues or flooding somewhere in the yard, but I do not. So I have no idea how I could get so much air in the pipes like that.

There seems to be no pattern to it, time of day, or hot/cold, is is really random, but sometimes bad enough that I will get almost no water for several seconds, then the water comes blasting out again in spurts.

Most of the time, the water is running fine, but we still see this at least 10-12 times each week.

What should I be looking for?
    David TK Hayes

Re: Air getting into water system

I could be mistaken but it may be CO2

Comment

Did you have the problem before the pump and check valve replacement? Submersible pump or jet pump? Have you checked the pressure in your pressure tank? Does your water have a strong odor?
      You will never expand your mind, if you do not challenge your beliefs.

By the reading of this post, you acknowledge and agree that the poster shall not be responsible or liable, directly or indirectly, for any damage or loss caused or alleged to be caused by or in connection with use of or reliance on any content contained herein.

Comment

you have a leak between the pump and the pressure tank. either that or a fouled check valve. at 40' deep it is no big deal to pull the well and change out the pipe and the check vavle. about an hours worth of labor and less than $100 in parts to do by yourself. you should be able to pull the well by hand do you have a pitless unit or a well house?

Comment

you have a very small leak on the suction side of the pump. Probably happened when the pump was replaced. You will have to make sure all fittings and connections are absolutly tight to cure the problem. Other possibility is the pressure tank is not set correctly. With the tank drained down the pressure in the tank should be 2lbs less than the cut in pressure of the pump. So if your pressure switch is a 30-50 switch then the tank pressure needs to be 28 lbs. If it's higher it can force air into the system. However I'll bet on the suction line leak first.

www.gouldpump.com
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
            you have a very small leak on the suction side of the pump.
            I'm sitting here, happy to see I might be the guy that points it out.
            I get to the last post and there you are..beat me to it.

Comment

I started my early career doing pump service. My dad's was a well driller\sprinkler installer in Florida.
              sigpic

Comment

I do not think it s gas, we did have water quality issues, but since the iron folter, sediment filter and softener, the water is finally quite good
                David TK Hayes

Comment

the leak between the well and the pressure tank might be it. Old galvanized pipes in the ground and lots of oak trees whose roots might be squeezing the pipe. Not to mention all the rust we get in the water.

the pressure tank is about 30' from the well, in a 'closet' attached to the house with the water heater, furnace, etc. So the well runs underground to the house, up through the slab and then into the tank, from there to the filters nearby.

What I do not understand is if I have a leak somewhere, why do I not have water everywhere? I hada small leak at the well head a couple years ago. it flooded the yard and caused a small sinkhole there.

How can the air get in and the water no get out at the same time?
                  David TK Hayes

Comment

If there's a leak on the suction side of the pump, it isn't under pressure, it's sucking air into the line.

Comment

most likely the leak is within the well casing and any leaking water is just being recirculated into the well between the check valve and the pitless adapter. pull the well... you can do it by hand it is only 40' deep you said. replace the check valve and make sure you have no leaks. make sure if you cut the wire to use a slice kit with heat shrinks to repair it. if you have poly pipe (black or blue one piece) make sure that the adapters are double clamped. if you have sch. 80, threaded plastic pipe, make sure that you use a little bit of pipe dope when you put them back together. either one, iif you dont havea torque arrestor make sure you install one. It is a black rubber.... Thing... it should expand to keep the pipe from rotating within the well casing. If your pump is above grade in your utility room you have a jet pump and foot valve setup. If this is the case you need to replace the foot valve at the bottom of the well and check all of the components in between. from what it sounds like this isnt the case. any further questions feel free to ask
                      -rich

Comment

I've put in 7 wells back east many years ago. One chanceis, You are overdrawing the water supply. Not enough available at that depth. Air in the lines when this happens You may have to go deeper.
                        I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

the well is 80' deep, the pump is at 40', and the water level starts at 18' so not sure how it would be sucking air into the line, the pump is underwater.

I talked with a local well guy too, he thinks there may be a second check valve somewhere between the well and the house, and if the crack is in the middle, then air would leak in with only a bit of water leaking out.

Guess I have to start digging to find and replace the pipes to the house.
                          David TK Hayes

Comment

Before you start digging, check the fittings around the pump first. The leak does'nt have to be large and it's very common for a suction leak to not leak in the off cycle. That's because the suction line is not pressurized, it has a slight vaccuum on it. So unless the leak is well below the pump it probably won't. Changing the foot valve is always a good idea, though it will not be the cause of your air problem. If you want to investigate a bit you can find a way to install an air valve and gauge on the suction line and pressurize it. Wait and see if the gauge drops, if it does you know you have a leak.
                            sigpic

Comment

your leak is within the well casing, not under the ground!

Comment

Working...
                              X