X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Service Contracts

Hi, I have been reading all the advice you all give each other on this web site and I am impressed by all the knowledge that the Plumbers have to share with other members of this community! That being said I have a question to ask of you, I have been in the Plumbing industry now for going on 20 years with most of my business being new construction whether it be residential or commercial with only roughly 5% being service. Now with the economy being the way it is I am having to change to a much higher rate of service to keep busy. My question is How do service contracts work and are they worth trying to sell to clients? I have heard Service company's in my area talk about them but i did not want to ask them because at the time service was not my bread and butter. Thanks
    ________
    HONEY OIL
    Last edited by TOPDAWG; 02-24-2011, 05:32 PM.
    Mike

Re: Service Contracts

Historically, service contracts have always been a hard sell. It's like when you buy a tv from Best Buy and they try to sell you the service contract. We do sell a few contracts on heating and a\c systems but even then not as many as one would like.
    sigpic

Comment

Not sure if this applies but be careful with the words "preventive maintance". We had a customer who happen to be a lawyer and we had him on a preventive maintance schedule every season to service his ac system. Well his unit broke and he tried suing the company because he said "preventive maintance" means that it will prevent breakdowns. We ended up giving him a new unit free and changed the policy wording to "seasonal maintance".
      Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

The service contracts i give/do and or preventive maint is mostly on bars, taverns, resturants, and apt complexes. They all get jetted, then video inspected (for free) after the cleanings to make sure the lines are clear. Then i will usually give a 90 day warranty with IF NOT ABUSED written on the invoice. With that written, if the line clogs before 90 days, then i will snake the line to see if anything comes out. If i pull something back, then i charge. If dont pull anything back, then i give the service for free. Most of my contracts are for every 3 months, some every 6 months, some once a years, and a couple of every months.
        The History of Sanitary Sewers Good site on the history of sanitary sewers and cleaners

www.thedrainsquad.net Our website

Comment

the history of sanitary sewers is a great site for those interested. I use a few excerpts in my curriculum and have a couple of the posters up in the classroom
          sigpic

Comment

Working...
          X