Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New branch line into an existing main.

Hey guys. DIYer here.

I want to run this cast iron shower drain into the existing 4" ABS main.
    I cut the iron pipe at the long sweep elbow with the sawzall. My plan is to use a mission coupling and run 2" abs pipe to the main line, where I want to splice in with a wye and a 45 elbow.

My question is about splicing in the middle of the main. I'd like to use plastic couplings if possible because of root problems. The normal plastic ones would be hard to set up properly for me. I was wondering if any of you pros had some suggestions or options.

Thanks in advance for any help.
    Pic attached

Re: New branch line into an existing main.

because you won't be able to get std coupling on you will probably have to use Fernco couplings, which is fine. Just make sure to dig under this section of pipe and put some good sand under it and compact it well so that it will not settle. I like to also use 2' pieces of 3/8" re-bar, driven at a 45 degree angle on each side of the pipe (near the fitting) and then tie them together at the top with heavy guage mechanics wire.
    sigpic

Comment

fernco is the way to go, quick and easy. I agree w master on the good bedding statement, since the fernco is a rubber coupling is may settle unlike the abs coupling. just curious, how old is this installation, looks old. hopefully you dont get any rain in your trench, be a nice muky mess
      if u cant bedazzle em with briliance, baffle em with bulls&*t

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
        because you won't be able to get std coupling on you will probably have to use Fernco couplings, which is fine. Just make sure to dig under this section of pipe and put some good sand under it and compact it well so that it will not settle. I like to also use 2' pieces of 3/8" re-bar, driven at a 45 degree angle on each side of the pipe (near the fitting) and then tie them together at the top with heavy guage mechanics wire.
        Sometimes a bed of concrete replacing disturbed soil under plastic wrapped fernco for a small one tie in if your worried about real soil pressure causing an offset.

Comment

When I have to fernco underground, I back them up with no-hub bands. Really firms them up. Misson couplings as good or better. If you are crafty, you can use only one rubber coupling. Why do the shower in iron? It is all exposed save youself use plastic it is better. Agree proper attentoin to compaction after the fact is key.
          This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Thanks all. Great tips.

What about the fernco and roots? won't they get in eventually?

I read some great advice on this forum to backfill with some copper sulfide and was planning on doing this at the mission coupling to the iron pipe. I guess I'll do that with the fernco as well.

Row, House is 50+ years old. I'd guess the 4" ABS main is 15 y.o. I've only owned the place for 7 years so I don't know exactly.

regards, Brad.

Comment

They make a ABS repair coupling that do not have the inside stop. Made to slide over pipe and then brought back into place.
              ________
              FORD MONDEO V6 ENGINE SPECIFICATIONS
              Last edited by TOPDAWG; 02-24-2011, 05:33 PM.
              Mike

Comment

all rubber couplings are only approved outside of the building. not indoors.

don't worry too much about the couplings and roots as all the newer clay has these same bands/ connections. it's a good idea to layer the joint area with copper sulfide to prevent roots from trying to get to the joints.

indoors it has to be a shielded transition coupling. cast to plastic.

compaction is very important under every coupling and pipe in the ditch.

i too would swap the old cast with new abs as it will never rust and should last longer than all of us

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

Worked with a sterotypical plumber from NYC (Not sylvan) who taught me to get copper flashing and wrap that around the joints.
                  Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Working...
                  X