Anyone familiar with this process?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Anyone familiar with this process?

Ducky,, You hav'nt joined the PEX revolution.?
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
      Ducky,, You hav'nt joined the PEX revolution.?
      I stilll have a case of Calvin Klein jeans in my attic, never worn...any takers?
      lol
      I've used it enough to know I hate working with it, I started using it on basenoard before our code allowed it on potable when the majority was the Wirsbo expansion type.

The process seemed rediculous, trying to hold the pipe, fitting & tool while expanding it...then wondering if you held it long enough to compress securely over the fitting.

I did some reading on both PEX & CPVC...both have been in use for about the same amount of time (40+ years), but PEX has been used most of the time in Europe, CPVC here.
      I could be wrong, but I think the overall health & sanitary standards here are higher...a wet spot or dampness in a basement might not be as much a big deal in Europian countries, so I'll favor something that has more time in THIS country,
      Bottom line, the crimps just scare the crap outta me, the constricted fitting on the expansion type may be OK for heat...but it seems like it could be an issue on potable over many years with mineral or calcium buildup.
      I don't do any new construction (thank God)...so it's not too often I'm in a situation where I could lose the job over the price of copper.
      I just wish code hadn't allowed plastic crap on potable in the first place, sad, very sad.

NH...I agree with what you say about politics in plumbing...
      I think MFG's see the HUGE market in DIY, then push their influence with politicians to get anything approved that might make a homeowner jump to HD & Lowes to avoid soldering or...paying a plumber.
      Last edited by DuckButter; 03-01-2008, 05:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
        I seriously doubt that the interior of rusted galvanized pipe can be cleaned enough for this process to make a difference for one. Also I don't see any approvals for the method either. the vids show the process used on large diameter pvc pipe and has little to do with the real world of copper and galvanized water pipes. As for cost, who knows but for the money you would be far better to have the house re-piped with Pex. A proven, safe and approved method.

You are'nt selling this stuff are you?
        I agree with you and think pex would be cheaper to install than copper since copper prices are on the rise.

Comment

Originally posted by TheMaster View Post
          I agree with you and think pex would be cheaper to install than copper since copper prices are on the rise.
          Do I have to go over to Plumbing Zone and start going through every post critiquing every word you have said.What a waste of time.

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
            Do I have to go over to Plumbing Zone and start going through every post critiquing every word you have said.What a waste of time.
            What does that have to do with this? Sounds like your making a personal attack...I simply agreed with his post. If old posts are not valid then why aren't they removed? Now lets get back on topic.

Comment

Originally posted by TheMaster View Post
              What does that have to do with this? Sounds like your making a personal attack...I simply agreed with his post. If old posts are not valid then why aren't they removed? Now lets get back on topic.
              Nah

Comment

Working...
              X