X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone familiar with this process?

This afternoon I received an ad for an alternative to repiping our home. The house is 1966 vintage [built before building inspectors arrived in AZ].
    We have galvanized pipe. We do have a water softener. We have no leaks but experience low flow. I suspect it is not a water pressure issue, rather corrosion inside the pipes.

This is the website for the repiping alternative:
    www.aceduraflo.com

Please visit the site as it's easier for you to see the process than I explain it.

I do not know what the cost is, but I suspect it's less than re-plumbing the house.

We have a 2 story ranch. Two bathrooms are back to back with the gas fired water heater between them. Then the kitchen sink, and upstairs a bathroom.

I appreciate your comments

Cactus Man

Re: Anyone familiar with this process?

I seriously doubt that the interior of rusted galvanized pipe can be cleaned enough for this process to make a difference for one. Also I don't see any approvals for the method either. the vids show the process used on large diameter pvc pipe and has little to do with the real world of copper and galvanized water pipes. As for cost, who knows but for the money you would be far better to have the house re-piped with Pex. A proven, safe and approved method.

You are'nt selling this stuff are you?
    sigpic

Comment

I saw this at a trade show, the reps wanted me to give them leads, and when I did, I would make a certain amount of money.

I would stick with the method of copper pipe, not sure about this system

Re-piping can be a mess, but if it's done right, it will last a very long time.

If you do go for it, let us know what you think and how it went.
      sigpic

Robert

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
        I seriously doubt that the interior of rusted galvanized pipe can be cleaned enough for this process to make a difference for one. Also I don't see any approvals for the method either. the vids show the process used on large diameter pvc pipe and has little to do with the real world of copper and galvanized water pipes. As for cost, who knows but for the money you would be far better to have the house re-piped with Pex. A proven, safe and approved method.

You are'nt selling this stuff are you?
        i agree down south here we have a high rate of copper failure,been approached to get into re-lineing without re-pipping,but never really felt good about the concept.so for my money i say cut it out and pex it or cpvc it and forget about it.

Comment

Relining is proven for some sewer applications. Only direct experience with water applications was in a testing process a company I worked for was thinking about buying a franchise for (about 7-8 years ago). We were unimpressed. They may have improved since then. If you go for it, please tell us how it works out.
          This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

This stuff is garbage avoid it like the plague. I could tell you story after story. Bill how plumbing here in San Diego does it , or rather they have a sister company that does it. All the plumbers there think it is a joke. They have young guys they have trained specifically to do this service. The only time I could see using this garbage is in an extreme situation , like gold leaf walls or something. Plus it only comes with a ten year warranty. Most copper re-pipes in my area are twenty.Trust me this stuff is garbage.
            THE GLASS IS ALWAYS HALF FULL

Comment

there is an ace duraflo truck that parks down the street from the freeway entrance. i spoke to the operator and asked about gal pipe relining.

they stopped doing it as it was very difficult to effectively sandblast the internal corrosion without wear through the thin spots.

also if they do wear a hole in it, it was an extra charge to repair it.

i would get all the real info and a real quote on both relining and re piping.

i think you will find that re piping will be a better option.

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by cactusman View Post
                This afternoon I received an ad for an alternative to repiping our home. The house is 1966 vintage [built before building inspectors arrived in AZ].
                We have galvanized pipe. We do have a water softener. We have no leaks but experience low flow. I suspect it is not a water pressure issue, rather corrosion inside the pipes.

This is the website for the repiping alternative:
                www.aceduraflo.com

Please visit the site as it's easier for you to see the process than I explain it.

I do not know what the cost is, but I suspect it's less than re-plumbing the house.

We have a 2 story ranch. Two bathrooms are back to back with the gas fired water heater between them. Then the kitchen sink, and upstairs a bathroom.

I appreciate your comments

Cactus Man
                Here the cost is about the same. Living in Arizona I would repipe in pex.
                Last edited by Crappy days; 02-29-2008, 01:21 AM.
                THE GLASS IS ALWAYS HALF FULL

Comment

ok! first I am not selling this stuff! I just received a mailer ad and it caught my eye!

I have been burned by other "amazing" products for the home! So That's why I asked.
                  [or as some say axed ha ha]

I have read all your comments and I immediately see a trend and that is Stay Away From This! I will.

I now will start the budget plan for doing pex. I have seen pex on This Old House and Mike Holmes. I do like the manifold system design as it ensure good pressure and flow at each run.

As I indicated in my original posting this house does not have anything fancy in the plumbing. I do sit on a slab and with uninsulated block walls [remember 1966 vintage home] a lot of the galvanized is running via the attic, so I guess There may not be too much tearing out of walls.

Thanks for the comments

Cactus Man

Comment

In Florida they do a lot of re-pipes with cpvc. It's a very inexpensive product and installs pretty fast.

Sorry about the "are you selling this stuff" comment, but we do get a few salesmen that think they need to sneak in here instead of just promoting thier product.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                      In Florida they do a lot of re-pipes with cpvc. It's a very inexpensive product and installs pretty fast.

Sorry about the "are you selling this stuff" comment, but we do get a few salesmen that think they need to sneak in here instead of just promoting thier product.
                      Newbies.......SHEESH

Cactusman has been tossing sawdust with the woods for years.Look at his join date

Comment

I have seen a bunch of this stuff done and I was not impressed.

Mark
                        "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

good lord nhmaster.... are you really advising cpvc? that is for low end trailers when you might as well cause its already there. copper. or, if you want to save money, pex. I don't plumb, i do clogs, and this is clear even to me.
                          This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

No, I'm not recommending cpvc, I hate the stuff and up here it has a nasty habit if freezing and cracking. I was just pointing out that in Florida a whole lot of plumbers are using it and for some reason prefer it to pex. Then again if any of you have been to Florida and checked out how they plumb down there you would be absolutly horrified. I think it has a lot to do with the imported labor force.
                            sigpic

Comment

Not much a fan of plastic for water in general, but crimps compared to solvent weld....mmmmm....I dunno.

Comment

Working...
                              X