X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Compressed Air

I want to run compressed air throughout my shop. From the compressor I will probably run about 140 feet of lines. Is black pipe the most affordable, yet suitable, pipe to use? What's the best way to get the moisture out so it doesn't go to the air tools?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Treedude

Re: Compressed Air

black is indeed more affordable that copper, though a bit harder to work with. I have also seen aluminum pipe, specifically made for air installations and though pricey, its easy to assemble and work with. As for moisture, make sure you get hold of a quality dryer\separator and install it as close to the compressor as you can. (drain often) You can also get auto injectors that will put a small amount of oil into the system and automatically keeps the tools lubricated. If you really want to save money you can also use cpvc. Just keep the pressure below the maximum pipe rating, which should be no problem for air tools.
    sigpic

Comment

Local ex-well installer piped his air in left over sch80 pvc well pipe. Seems to work well. Would any of this be cheaper than to just run hoses to where you want them? I had a box truck I piped for air... I was in a hurry cut/crimped hose to length and zip tied it in... lasted for the year I ran the truck.
      This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

sch 40 pvc or cpvc works too. My father in law has his piped in Poly B, its been in use for nearly 20yrs now
        You will never expand your mind, if you do not challenge your beliefs.

By the reading of this post, you acknowledge and agree that the poster shall not be responsible or liable, directly or indirectly, for any damage or loss caused or alleged to be caused by or in connection with use of or reliance on any content contained herein.

Comment

DO NOT USE PLASTIC it can and does shatter and can cause bodily harm. Plastic pipe manufacturers know this and discourage this application. As far as copper i wouldnt recommend it around here i think if you use copper you would have to use compression fittings.. another words take the price of copper sweat and double it. Use Black iron. Tried, true, cheap and really not that hard to work with if you plan ahead. if you are using 1/2" pipe it isnt that hard to tread with a vise and an 12R threaded or if you can rent an R700 threader.

Comment

DO NOT USE PVC OR CPVC FOR COMPRESSED AIR!!!! If it should fail, it doesn't just leak, it explodes into razor sharp pieces. If you want to use plastic for compressed air systems, three brands that are specifically designed for such systems are:

Chem-Aire by Chemtrol. This is a modified ABS material.
            Air Pro by Asahi America. This is a polyethylene material.
            Duraplus by IPEX. Also a modified ABS material.

Comment

Working...
            X