Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Water coming out of overflow on boiler....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Water coming out of overflow on boiler....

PC..thanks. i now realize that the honeywell instructions were addressing the high limit stop and not the upper limit of the aquastats temperature range. yea..rotate the dial...go figure...gotta keep remembering the overiding principal of KISS...keep it simple, stupid.

RHM...yes, yes, i know..no one ever listens to the teacher. but seriously, when you read the instructions that i sent you that are on p.12 of the owners manual for the 8148, doesn't that read like you have to pry something up to set the upper temp limit? i'd like to know what you think about that. is it or is it not a little confusing?

lastly, i hope all the info in this thread helps DIY with the problem/issue he encountered.
    there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

I have to further expalin something here about the L8148. The limit is a high limit only. In other words all it does is shut off the burner (not the circulator) when the temperature hits whatever it is set at. The differential (15 degrees) keeps the burner from short cycling. If there was no differential or it was set too close (some can be set, L8124, L8182 ect) say 5 degrees, then the burner would come on and off too often (short cycling, bad for economy, makes soot)

Operation: L8148

Cold Boiler. Turn up thermostat, burner fires, circulator comes on.

Boiler hits Limit: Burner stops, circulator keeps running

Thermostat satisfied: Burner (if running) and circulator stop.

The 8148 has no Low, or reverse aquastat that would keep the circulator from running if the boiler temperature is too low. It is a Cold Start, Cold run control. If you need low limit protection (say to keep the boiler from condensing) you would need to either add a L4006b or a L6006 or a L8124.
      sigpic

Comment

RHM..so the arm that locks onto the teeth of the temp wheel is for the limit stop, not the upper limit of the boiler's water temperature? if yes, what is the purpose of the limit stop(i know, you tried to address this in another thread) and what is the physical procedure for setting/adjusting the limit stop. thanks.

Comment

What I ended up doing was leaving the Hi limit stop alone and I turned the adjusting screw counterclockwise on the gas intake to lower the flame so now the water temp only goes to about 175. I fgure the stop is still set at 190 and will shut the boiler down in case of emergency. Is this correct or should I have left the screw alone?

Comment

OK, now you really do need to call in a technician. Turning the gas up or down is a real no no and should only ever be set with a manometer or in\pressure gauge. Make the call soon, like right now would be good
            sigpic

Comment

DIYourselfer

Follow the advice of the pros and call in a good professional right NOW. You now do have a dangerous boiler and a good chance for a gas explosion or a fumes issue. No more screwing around playing the "Penny Wise and Million Dollar Fool" game. Get a good professional to fully check everything before disaster does happen to you.

Until the pro comes, shut down your boiler. That means close the gas valve, shut off power and then leave it alone.

You do not want KABOOM

Comment

Originally posted by DIYourselfer View Post
                What I ended up doing was leaving the Hi limit stop alone and I turned the adjusting screw counterclockwise on the gas intake to lower the flame so now the water temp only goes to about 175. I fgure the stop is still set at 190 and will shut the boiler down in case of emergency. Is this correct or should I have left the screw alone?

I just have to ask:

Who the hell told you to adjust the gas manifold setting to lower the water temperature? If you don't know what you are doing that is the last thing on the boiler to be messing with.

Why not use the limit control? That's what it's there for!!
                Last edited by plumberscrack; 03-06-2008, 03:43 PM.

Comment

amazing..he gets the answer to the question he asks, its simple to effect and then he does something completely different and much more dangerous! why bother asking the question in the first place?

Comment

Originally posted by FINER9998 View Post
                    amazing..he gets the answer to the question he asks, its simple to effect and then he does something completely different and much more dangerous! why bother asking the question in the first place?
                    Hang around a bit, you will find asking and doing are quite often very different indeed. I just hope his house does'nt blow up in the meantime.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by DuckButter View Post
                      There are a number of potential problems that could be wrong.
                      I have to say this...this is a boiler, not a faucet or simple pilot light on a water heater.
                      If you misdiagnose the problem online and replace the expansion tank, when in fact it's a problem with the gas valve, aquastat, leaking autofeed or any number of other things, you could create a dangerous situation..............
                      I might suggest you have a professional take a look.
                      If I recall, the high limit was set to 190, yet it's running at 210, red flag right there.

Now that the gas valve has been tampered with, a combustion analysis would be a smart move... looking to see if the flame is yellow tipping too much is NOT combustion analysis.
                      I might suggest you have a professional take a look.

Comment

"if you have only cast iron radiators, 165F would probably be high enough.

You have to be careful there. 165* could be too low of a setting. If his Delta T is around 20-25* you could run into a situation where you would have too low of a return temperature and cause all kinds of problems with condensation. If you really want to run the system with 165* water you would need to install a thermal by-pass.

I generally run my C.I. systems at 180*, if you are looking for energy savings you would be better served with an outdoor reset controller, or at least one of the becket heat managers. I say leave it where it is!

Comment

I don't generally worry too much about a 20 degree over ride on the high limit. A lot of time it's a bad gauge or a dirty or poor contacting aquastat well. Either way 210 @ 12-15 lbs pressure is still below the boiling point. It would not be a bad idea to check the gauge against another one anyway. Unfortunatly now that you have messed with the gas inlet pressure you are going to have to call in a professional to re-adjust it back to where it should be. (by all means do not think that you can guesstimate where it used to be) so while he's fixing that have him check the aquastat at the same time.
                          sigpic

Comment

masterplumb...what would be a symptom of condensation arising from return temps being too low?

Comment

Unfortunatly the symptoms don't show up untill you have a problem. After a while rust will appear on the heat exchanger and jacket surfaces and in extreme cases the interior of the boiler will become plugged with rusty mud. Pre mature circulator failure, and in the case of your Peerless the low temperature will cause the interior surfaces of the exchanger to cool the products of combustion, causing it to soot up. Try to keep return temps around 150 and up. Easy to check with a thermometer. Get the system up to operating temp and check the feed and return temp. If the returns are coming back cold the easyiest thing to do is install a bypass loop form the feed to the return. Otherwize you can install a reverse aquastat that will not allow the circulator to operate at less than 150 degrees. Not the best option though as this uses more fuel.
                              sigpic

Comment

I could not have said it better. You can also damage your chimney.

Comment

Working...
                                X