Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• remodel bathroom

the sewer is old lead jointed pipe.
    what can i cut it with and how can go from that to plastic?

Re: remodel bathroom

Grinder,sawzal.

Does'nt your sponsor have snap cutters.

Comment

yeah thanks i just never dealt with lead piping before

Comment

neither have I

Are you sure it's not cast iron with lead joints?

Comment

probably hub and spigot cast iron. a sawzall with a cast blade or chain cutters, just hope its not extra heavy if so chain cutters,its all pretty simple.

Comment

pull the lead and oakum out and get a cast to plastic insert fitting, repack with lead.
            ________
            Arizona Medical Marijuana
            Last edited by TOPDAWG; 02-24-2011, 04:35 PM.
            Mike

Comment

Originally posted by TOPDAWG View Post
              pull the lead and oakum out and get a cast to plastic insert fitting, repack with lead.

?
              sigpic

Comment

a cast to plastic insert fitting fits in to the hub end of the cast iron. It has a small lip on the insert end so when you re-lead the joint it stays in place.the other side of the fitting is a hub end that you can cement plastic pipe into. They make a sheet lead almost like steel wool that you tamp into the joint so you don't have to do a lead pour. that is assuming it is a lead pipe going into a cast iron hub. Sorry if my first post was not that clear
                ________
                CHEVROLET TRAILBLAZER
                Last edited by TOPDAWG; 02-24-2011, 04:35 PM.
                Mike

Comment

Originally posted by TOPDAWG View Post
                  a cast to plastic insert fitting fits in to the hub end of the cast iron. It has a small lip on the insert end so when you re-lead the joint it stays in place.the other side of the fitting is a hub end that you can cement plastic pipe into. They make a sheet lead almost like steel wool that you tamp into the joint so you don't have to do a lead pour. that is assuming it is a lead pipe going into a cast iron hub. Sorry if my first post was not that clear
                  Plumbdog10 and some others on the forum have indicated that only poured lead joints are accepted under our jurisdictions.Could you cut the hub off and use a adapter band?

Comment

Real lead pipe for dwv can be cut with a box cutter so a sawzall will be fine. I've only dealt with them as closet bends.
                    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

diamond blade on a grinder, I think this has come up before, snappers, sawzall with diamond grit blade.....look in the past threads, bet you will find all you need and directions on how to do it.

sigpic

Robert

Comment

that's it you knew what i am talking about? so the snap cutter will work? i'm from baton rouge,LA and a guy told me i can't put a no-hub band going from cast-to-plastic. can anyoe tell me where they stste that in the code book

Comment

What code do you use? Why aren't you being directly supervised by a Master plumber who can answer that?
                          Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                            What code do you use? Why aren't you being directly supervised by a Master plumber who can answer that?
                            His master plumber may not know either.

What flavor code are you using Nigel.If you're going to make a living as a plumber we need to see what we can do about getting you a code book

Comment

Working...
                            X