X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water Pressure Question

I received a letter from local water company that they need to come into the home to replace the water meter. Told it was to install meter that could be read by a passing truck...rather than someone coming up to the house.

Last night I had to take off the enclosure the previous owner put over the water meter. I discovered that prior to the water meter, there was a Watts water pressure reducing valve.

Since I have been in the home, I have had some issues with water pressure. Namely a drop in pressure when a toilet, faucet or washer is being used. For instance, if in the shower and the toilet is flushed, I probably lose about 1/3 pressure.

My question is whether the reducing valve is doing too good of a job. I see that it looks like it is adjustable with a adjusting screw at the top. For more pressure, which way would one turn it?

Re: Water Pressure Question

interesting that your pressure regulator is prior to the meter.

out here our meters are at the curb and we are not allowed anything prior to the meter. in fact some cities don't even allow us to turn off the main (corporation cock) before the meter.

first thing i would do is buy a decent pressure gage. check the static pressure/ nothing running. this should be in the 60-80# max range after the regulator. then flush your toilet or run the sink.

some of the simpler, smaller regulators will have a greater drop off rate. i would hope that the drop off on your regulator is less than 15#. so you should be able to maintain 45-65#.

adjusting a regulator require a pressure gage. most regulators will adjust by tightening the screw to raise the pressure. and loosening the screw to lower the pressure.

once adjusted to the proper range, verify that the pressure remains there without anything running. a worn out regulator will creep up in a matter of seconds.

i rather doubt your regulator is any good if more than 10 years old.

is it possible to get a pressure reading prior to your regulator too? compare the high pressure side to the lower pressure outlet side.

if this doesn't make sense, have the water co. check this for you or call a plumber.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by Adenn1 View Post
      I received a letter from local water company that they need to come into the home to replace the water meter. Told it was to install meter that could be read by a passing truck...rather than someone coming up to the house.

Last night I had to take off the enclosure the previous owner put over the water meter. I discovered that prior to the water meter, there was a Watts water pressure reducing valve.

Since I have been in the home, I have had some issues with water pressure. Namely a drop in pressure when a toilet, faucet or washer is being used. For instance, if in the shower and the toilet is flushed, I probably lose about 1/3 pressure.

My question is whether the reducing valve is doing too good of a job. I see that it looks like it is adjustable with a adjusting screw at the top. For more pressure, which way would one turn it?
      Is this a condo or Town house? The regulator definitely sounds bad to me, I to would replace it.
      THE GLASS IS ALWAYS HALF FULL

Comment

Thanks for the input. First, this is a home...not a townhouse or condo. I will buy a pressure gage and see where I stand on pressure after the PRV.

The sub for the water company was out today to put the new meter in and I was talking to him about the PRV and such. He said he was the one who was out in this area about fifteen years ago putting in the meters that were wired to a box outside the house. So he thought the PRV was at least fifteen years old...if not more. He stated that the water company had probably put the PRV in prior to the meter due to the extremely high water pressure in our area. This was to protect the meters he assumed.

The gate valves--one prior to the PRV and one after the meter--are original (1960) and are looking tough. He offered to change them out for ball valves for a small fee--he only wanted $30 to do it (I buy the valves). He is the owner of the company putting the new meters in (passing the company on to his son--older gentleman who is not ready to retire) and said he often has a lot of dead time between scheduled installs...so he puts in new valves on the side to help people out and to kill time.

He went outside and used a pipe wand to find where the outside curb shut-off was buried. He dug it up and turned the water off to make sure it worked okay prior to coming back to put the new valves in. He said that the water company charges like 70-80 dollars to come shut off the water and then to turn back on.

So...when he comes back in the next week or so, I could have him check the pressure coming into the house. And Ric...as you noted...the PRV is older than ten years...so I might as well have him replace that as well. I saw in another thread you recommended a double union PRV.

I am really happy I can change out the gate valves for ball valves.

Again, thanks for your help and any other suggestions about the PRV would be welcomed.

Comment

the union PRV is deffenatly the way to go, also you may not need the PRV to be replaced. If it was installed 10-15 years ago your house could have been the new developement and the city had mad pressure, now there is probly lots of developement around you and your pressure may be running @ a workable pressure(80# or below) with the addition of your neiboughrs. that older fella is really running cheep. wow
          if u cant bedazzle em with briliance, baffle em with bulls&*t

Comment

I think you definitely have PRV problems due to loss of volume not pressure.
            THE GLASS IS ALWAYS HALF FULL

Comment

The area is an older and established neighborhood (1960's) with no recent local development. I know my neighbor metioned that when he had his PRV installed...the plumber told him it was a wonder his faucets and such did not blow off due to the high pressure...I believe he said it was well over 100 #.

I plan on being in the home for some time, so I figure I might as well replace the PRV...looks like I can get a Watts PRV for around $90 at the local supply company. Since the nice fellow is willing to change things out for such little money...I see it as a good investment.

I will get a pressure gauge and see what kind of pressures we are dealing with.

One last question...I would want the pressure in the house to between 65-75#...right?

Thanks all...

Comment

Originally posted by Adenn1 View Post
                One last question...I would want the pressure in the house to between 65-75#...right?

Thanks all...
                single story 65 is fine. 3 story 75# at ground level.

you lose approx. 1/2# per foot of elevation.

pressure in this range is not the issue. it's the drop off pressure you're having a problem with. you need a static of 65# and a flowing pressure/ residual of 45# or better. you need to make sure all the air is out of the system before you set the final pressure.

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

Understood...thanks Rick

Comment

Had my friendly plumber back yesterday to install the new ball valves and PRV. We discovered that I had a major restriction in the supply line right where it came into the first gate valve...about 1/2 of the pipe was filled with a mineral build up (the plumber had a name for it...can't think of it now). This was probably the source of all of my pressure problems.

Now I can take a shower and have the toilet flush with no drop in pressure...that's nice.

Comment

Working...
                    X