Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Supply Dead End, unused in winter hose bib.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Supply Dead End, unused in winter hose bib.

Is a 15 feet developed length from the branch T to a frost-free hose bib that is not used in winter a dead end? In the Chicago area the hose bib has not been used since November; it is early March now. I have to do some other supply work anyway, so should I;

1) Leave the branch alone,
    2) Install a stop and waste within 2 ft of the beginning of the hose branch, leaving the other 13 ft drained all winter, or
    3) Create a supply loop to within 2 ft of the hose bib valve, then run it back to the kitchen group, the 3rd side of the current T. This would flush the line all year.

Thank you for your two cents.

Re: Supply Dead End, unused in winter hose bib.

I am not aware of the term "dead end" used in the Internation Code anywhere except on Sanitary Drainage.

I am not sure where you are going with this question, but I dont see any issues with what you have.

Regards,

Comment

Thanks for the reply - the supply term dead-end is part of the Illinois Code, not sure if something similar is in the international code. However, since this hose bib is used in the summer, I am not sure if this applies.

TITLE 77: PUBLIC HEALTH
      CHAPTER I: DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC HEALTH
      SUBCHAPTER r: WATER AND SEWAGE
      PART 890 ILLINOIS PLUMBING CODE
      SECTION 890.1200 WATER SERVICE SIZING

Section 890.1200 Water Service Sizing

c) Unused sections of water service or water distribution piping ("dead ends"), where the water in the piping may become stagnant, are prohibited. A developed length of more than 2 feet shall be considered a dead end.

Comment

No its not a dead end as long as the hose bibb is connected. Especially since its used in summer. No issues, just leave as is.
        Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

Thanks - I will do just that, nothing, which I am good at.

Comment

the application i see this applies to is when we had to run lines (ground) for the electrician and his switch gear. these were dead ends.

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

In KY,

no more than 4" of developed length on the water lines.

I don't think it's written in the book but it sure will fail inspection if you turn out tees with more than that distance for the future unfinished bathroom.

I opened up a hose bibb on a customer's home last year that was gross; hadn't been opened in years and the water was dark murky brown and like a gel on the ground initially.

Stated they never use it, ever.
              Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

is it a frost free hose bibb? cause if it is you could blow it out in the event that you think it is gonna become "dead ended" or "dead headed" and the 15-18" of the frost free will drain out and you wont freeze.
                if u cant bedazzle em with briliance, baffle em with bulls&*t

Comment

Working...
                X