X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SDR pipe vs sch 40 pipe

What's the difference between the two? Where are the applications for each pipe? Advantages, disadvantages? I've always used sdr in big waterlines and sewer lines but I've seen sdr in 4" where regular sch 40 pvc pipe could be used.
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Re: SDR pipe vs sch 40 pipe

SDR is a much lighter shcedule than sch 40 pvc and can not be used inside the building or for the main drainage line from the foundation to the septic tank. It is typically used in our area for perimeter drainage, and occasionally within a leach field, though most contractors are going to concrete or plastic chamber systems.
    sigpic

Comment

I'd have to guess you either don't use it in your state, or seldom come across it...SDR is thinner & more flimsy than Sched 40, SDR-35 is the green stuff that often connects to the main drain outside a building.

Comment

It comes white and green up here. Though not in the IPC our State Septic Installers code won't allow it between the foundation and septic tank anymore. They want sch40 which I think is probably a good thing. It
        sigpic

Comment

If SDR35 is more flimsy than SCH40 then why is it so common to use on sewer mains? I have worked on several multi-million sewer projects where $$ is no object so I wouldn't think it has to do with cost. SDR 35 is the norm around here( and I think most of the country) for buried sewer. Why is that? Is it stronger? more flexible? Because it's gasketed?
          INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
          Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Buried town sewer anyway. Septic up here too is still all SCH40 from home to tank.
            INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
            Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Gene, I would assume the cities use it for cost reasons. I think that properly bedded and covered it works fine.
              sigpic

Comment

Is SDR35 cheaper though? Like I said I've worked on some big$$$ projects fed, state and, local and they all call for SDR35. When we didn't use SDR35 because we past the depth rating for it, the next option was ductile iron not SCH40. Not trying to start a debate with anyone, this is just a topic I have often wondered myself. I to think SDR35 appears more flimsy but there must be a reason beyond cost for using it.

Comment

I must be confused. I could have swore what we put in for water and sewer pipe, we called SDR. After looking at the Charlotte Pipe website, there's no way we used that. Navy terms-gotta love them.
                  Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

I was wondering about the water part. I've never seen it used for water with out poo in it.
                    But still interested in the reason behind why SDR35 and not SCH40 if anyone has some insight.

Comment

Ben,

SDR is not a type of pipe it is "standard dimension ratio". meaning ratio of pipe diameter to wall thickness of the pipe.

Mark
                      "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by Gene Bickford View Post
                        I was wondering about the water part. I've never seen it used for water with out poo in it.
                        But still interested in the reason behind why SDR35 and not SCH40 if anyone has some insight.
                        I'd mentioned on another post how MA requires special "drain layers" licenses for working in each individual town at 10' outside the inner foundation wall.
                        Thats what they use, they also pay little attention to proper pitch as long as it has a visable pitch and it's usually 6" backfilled with 3/4" gravel.
                        Ask any GC/Drain Layer why and they simply say "thats what they call for".
                        I'd like to know too.

Comment

schd 40 on a septic incase the tank settles and it is more ridgid than sdr35. In big commercial jobs we use the sister to sdr35 and thats blue brute for water service into the building.... connected to a ductile iron riser to the water shut off. i think sdr is sufficent undergroud 1)cost2) its resistant to most stuff going down the sewer. why we dont see it IN the building? fire rating?
                          if u cant bedazzle em with briliance, baffle em with bulls&*t

Comment

sdr stands for standard diameter ratio the arger the number i.e. 35 the thinner wall pipe. SDR-11.5 is commonly used for water lines in the south Sewer force mains in the north SDR-21 Can be used for sewer force mains as well and sometimes water. SDR-35 is commonly used for low pressure applications such as sewer and drain. in NY it is used between the septic tank and distribution fields and 95% of all municipal sewer application other than the cities where we may use Ductile. The city of YONKERS, actually requires Class 56 Ductile which is the thickest ductile iron pipe out there btw the use the same pipe for water mains.

Comment

SDR or "Standard Dimension Ratio" is a method of pressure rating piping. The SDR is the ratio of pipe diameter to wall thickness. An SDR 35 means that the outside diameter of the pipe is 35 times the wall thickness. A pipe with a high SDR # (thin wall compared to the pipe diameter) has a low-pressure rating and a pipe with a low SDR # (thick wall compared to the pipe diameter) has a high-pressure rating.
                              You will never expand your mind, if you do not challenge your beliefs.

By the reading of this post, you acknowledge and agree that the poster shall not be responsible or liable, directly or indirectly, for any damage or loss caused or alleged to be caused by or in connection with use of or reliance on any content contained herein.

Comment

Working...
                              X