X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heat exchanger head bolt torque

I'm a millwright doing the work of a power engineer and I've got a problem. Big surprise! I replaced the tube bundle in a steam heat exchanger and the gasket completely crumbled to shreds. I have no idea how tight I was supposed to make the bolts, 8 of them, so I did the same as last time. The only thing I did differently this time was use the gaskets that came with the tube bundle.Last time everything went fine with the home cut gaskets

I guess my question is " are there actually torque specs for these things?" There are 8,1/2" bolts and we run this heat exchanger at 75 lbs steam, if that helps.

Mech
    If you don't know, ASK!

Re: Heat exchanger head bolt torque

Of course there is a torque spec for those bolts. Manufacturers set a torque spec for every fastener that turns. Just how critical should be your question.
    I say dealing with a steam heat exchanger , very important. Spend 10 min. at break time and talk to the engineer or fireman on duty to explain the wonders of steam and what happens when you disrepect its power.

Comment

Re: Heat exchanger head bolt torque from Kevin the ENG.

Hey pipes,that wasn't much help! Here's the formula, Jerry Mac and Gear helped.

.50 squared x the constant of 75 @5%= 1/2 turn before snapping off on each bolt.
      You can do it ,You can help.
      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

I think I would either go online or call the manufacture for the spec. here. 75lbs is a whole lot of steam and for liability reasons I think you're gonna want to have this right.
        sigpic

Comment

I've been looking online and even talked to some proffessional steam fitters and everyone says that if I make them "Good and Tight" that it should be "OK".

The only thing I could find online is that these heat exchangers are obsolete and that I should really get them updated,and then they refer me to their new site! no help there.

Mech
          If you don't know, ASK!

Comment

Re: Heat exchanger head bolt torque from Kevin the ENG.

I'm not worried about snaping off the bolts,
            I'm worried about wrecking the gasket
            If you don't know, ASK!

Comment

there is no engineer on staff here and that has left me no choice but to learn all i can and steam still scares the s@$t outta me! Lots of respect here!
              If you don't know, ASK!

Comment

Working...
              X