rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Re: soldering ball valves

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
      i don't even shut the water off when i install ball valves

propress

rick.
      Buuuuuuut...... $2000.00+- vs. $100.00+- for the same profit.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
        Buuuuuuut...... $2000.00+- vs. $100.00+- for the same profit.

J.C.
        $2000.00???
        For a pipe freeze kit and a propress tool.
        J.C. I need your tool guys number

I'm figuring I'd have to spend at least $5000.00.
        I'd rather turn off the water for a while.

Comment

In my 20 plus years as a plumber, I've always been able to get the job done by soldering, knowing how to divert water away from the work area enough to get it close up.

Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Just stuff the valve with bread , and you can do it either way ....hrhahaha
            Help With Your Pool Or Spa Pump?►WeT HeaD Pump Repair ► Watch Me On YouTube: Pool & Spa Pump Repair TV
            New: Pump Repair MagazineNew: Pool & Spa Pump Repair Forums

Comment

I do not claim to be an expert. Original post asked for a reference, and I did find this instruction on Nibco website which suggests to solder with valve closed:

http://www.nibco.com/cms.do?id=672

Comment

Originally posted by DUNBAR View Post
                In my 20 plus years as a plumber, I've always been able to get the job done by soldering, knowing how to divert water away from the work area enough to get it close up.

shutting the water off to a house is one thing.

shutting it off to an office building, hospital, industry, school is not an option.

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

shutting it off to an office building, hospital, industry, school is not an option.

rick.

Thats a great point, I wasn't even thinking of....

One time, I was working with this mechanic when I was like 21 , and he actually was trying to shove bakery rolls in this 2" copper line to stop the drip.

I swear this is a true story!!!
                  Help With Your Pool Or Spa Pump?►WeT HeaD Pump Repair ► Watch Me On YouTube: Pool & Spa Pump Repair TV
                  New: Pump Repair MagazineNew: Pool & Spa Pump Repair Forums

Comment

bread doesn't totally dissolve. it will plug up pipe, valves and fixtures.

i've been to homes that others used bread on. the worst are pressure balancing valves due to their tolerances. some even have filters prior to the cartridge

unless you know the line can be properly flushed out, don't risk it

rick.
                    phoebe it is

Comment

rick.

It's called "ISOLATION VALVES"

"ZONE VALVES"

"TEMPORARY SHUTDOWNS" OR otherwise.

Gotta remember that freezing kits and propress didn't exist years ago, and hundreds of thousands of plumbers got by just fine without it.

It's an effective method, but it's not a tool I can see becoming standard in this day and age given its pricing and cost of fittings.

Find me a soldered connection that can't be soldered. ???? I haven't found one yet I can't do....

and that tool has a slew of limitations. You'll never get it in a wall to rework a tub/shower faucet.

I did a 32 unit apartment building, had to replace all the graphite packing in the valve assemblies which where 4" valves. Last part of the system required a 2" copper rework. I ended up using high pressure air while soldering the union in to get it all finished up. I did that twice, early 90's.

I'm older than you at 39.

Comment

dunbar, if there wasn't a need for pipe freezing and non shut downs, then there wouldn't be a need for this equipment or the companies that do it.

people shut down residential all the time. apartments and condos usually get a 24 hour notice unless it's an emergency.

shutting down commercial buildings, hospitals etc.. is not the norm.

businesses pay for the convenience of not being inconvenienced.

you might not see it or be exposed to it, but there are companies that make a good living freezing pipe. once again it's something that i get subbed out for when the need occurs.

now if your competition and you don't have the equipment and the buildings don't know that this technology exist, then i guess you'd be on a level playing field.

out here, it exist and i get calls even from supply house referring me

by the way, with the newer propress swivel jaws, i guarantee you that a press can be made in very tight areas.
                        time for you to do some research and visit the ridgid plant

see you in september for pressing 101 and hopefully it won't be freezing then

rick.
                        phoebe it is

Comment

The product has its place, can function and provide simplicity in a lot of ways,

But I cannot forsee it as a replacement of soldering, ever. From the fire hazard point of view I only wish they made something to get in all those tight spots, but it's not realistic. Just like PEX and those tools. Fitting some pipe together and then bonding it will have its place forever.

One thing I hate about piping that is crimped joined by glue is the fact that they rely so much back to IPS connections at some point to get to the fixtures they connect to.

If you ever had to fix a leaking threaded connection like say on a tub/shower faucet back in the wall, then you'd know how much fun they are.

Impossible to put them back properly without disconnecting/soldering further away to keep the heat from wiping the water tight connection out.

I can't see the propress or the fittings in that product dropping in price, ever. Too much money went into the front end of that technology and the copper fittings are through the roof in price.

They had to be given the scrap metal pricing this year.

My issue with the product......can't solder close to them for fear of melting the O-ring out. Been in this boat before and set my tees further away to prevent the problem.

I'll probably own one by 2035.

Comment

Working...
                          X