X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• soldering ball valves

how do you guys solder ball valves- open, closed, or half way

Re: soldering ball valves

They used to say that soldering the valve in the closed position would lessen any seat damage so I've done it that way out of habit for years.
    sigpic

Comment

I do it closed in the off chance that solder might drip into the opened valve.
      I've heard arguments for both ways though...not sure if it matters, barring the small chance of solder dripping down a vertical valve.

Comment

done it both ways, as well told by old timers closed, but let experiences rule the day, seen others over solder and others burn joints. now when i use my jet sweats open rules the day,good question makes you realize you can sometimes forget as much as you know{zen riddle}

Comment

I was taught open because any water trapped in the ball during soldering can turn into steam raising the pressure which causes damage.
          Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

I was told closed.Now after 100's of valves either way I call bulls**t

Just did 3,1-1/2 and 1,1-1/4 today three open for presure relief one closed to keep an eye on alignment.
            Last edited by drtyhands; 03-06-2008, 09:26 PM.

Comment

Dunno if I speak fer you guys, but I'd really like to hear from someone that has a solid reason for doing it either way.
              The only reason I buy the solder dripping thing is that I have had solder roll into a diverter stem on a shower valve and cause it to stick.

Comment

ive gotten a pretty good burn by soldering one closed and opening it when i was done the steam build up got me.
                Mike
                Clark County Plumbing And Drain
                www.plumbinginclarkcounty.com

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                  I was taught open because any water trapped in the ball during soldering can turn into steam raising the pressure which causes damage.
                  I had one blow when sweating in the closed position, so I can vouch for that happening. Either way is fine though, for the most part.

I like sweating with it closed so I don't accidentally torch the handle, and the handle doesn't block my vision.

Comment

I was taught to solder all valves in the open position. Since ball valves came out much later, I don't know what they teach, but I still solder all valves in the open position. IIRC, it has something to do with the heat not traveling as far up the pipe. But it's been quite a few years.

Comment

On stops I don't think there's any argument...always open.
                      The seals melt when closed.
                      Ball valves are a different horse.

Comment

gate valves closed.

ball valves open. actually slightly in a 95% open. i like a little close to keep any water or steam from getting trapped in the seat/ ball area. this of course is on repair work with water.

i forgot, i propress a lot more than i solder valves now. in fact i don't even worry if the water is running

rick.
                        phoebe it is

Comment

I solder ball valves fully open, never closed.

Too tired to write out why...
                          Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                            gate valves closed.
                            Am I to understand you don't take the gate out when soldering gate valves? Did this cause any negative effects?
                            Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                              Am I to understand you don't take the gate out when soldering gate valves? Did this cause any negative effects?
                              ben, the gate has to be in the valve to prevent any solder from getting into the cavity and preventing the valve from closing. especially when soldering in a vertical position.

a globe valve/ washer needs to remain open to prevent heat damage to the rubber washer. this is very common on tub/shower screwdriver stops and soldered angle stops.

do you actually remove your gates?

rick.
                              phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
                              X