X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shock chlorination a well

I need to sanitize my well due to replacing the bladder tank. The water has been drained since early December. The well casing is a pproximately 3" in diameter so I believe it to be a 2" well. The well is 30 feet and the pump is in the basement.

In order to get the bleach into the well, I plan on removing the vent elbow from the cap and replacing it with a street L and then pouring in the bleach. Will that work or must I remove the cap in order to introduce the bleach into the well?

Re: Shock chlorination a well

http://www.pwgazette.com/wellshocking.htm
    You will never expand your mind, if you do not challenge your beliefs.

By the reading of this post, you acknowledge and agree that the poster shall not be responsible or liable, directly or indirectly, for any damage or loss caused or alleged to be caused by or in connection with use of or reliance on any content contained herein.

Comment

Do not use Clorox or other supermarket bleachs. They make a clorinating agent specially for this purpose.
      sigpic

Comment

Here's the particulars:

The system shall be flushed with clean, potable water untill dirty water does not appear at the points of outlet.

The system or part thereof shall be filled with a water\chlorine solution containing at least 50 parts per million (50 mg\L) of chlorene and the system or part thereof shall ve valved off and allowed to stand for 24 hrs: or the system or part thereof shall be filled with a water\chlorene solution containing at least 200 parts per million (200 mg\L) of chlorene and allowed to stand for 3 hrs.

Following the required standing time the system shall be flushed with clean potable water untill the chlorene is flushed from the system.

The procedure shall be repeated where shown by bacteriological examination that contamination remains in the system.

This is straight from the IPC and the UPC, it may vary where you live.
        sigpic

Comment

I've lived in the house for 11-1/2 years, & moved out 6 months ago. I had to replace the bladder tank because the old tank's bladder ruptured. I just sold the house and because of the inactivity and component replacement, the county health inspector said I need to chlorinize the well in order to be certain that the well passes the bacteria test required as part of the sale.

The county health inspector told me specifically not to use the pellets as the very hard water in my area won't dissolve them rapidly enough and it will take far too long to flush the chlorine from the system.

I can't budge the well cap in order to remove it but I can take off the vent elbow and replace it with a street "L" and dump in the chemical theough the street L? It seems as I should be able to.

Thanks for the input.

Comment

We used pool chlorine and mixed a slurry in a bucket and poured it in the well while we developed it until we could smell the bleach coming out. We then let it sit hour 24 hours and monitered the residual chlorine every hour to make sure disenficted the well.
            Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Working...
            X