Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

moving PVC DWV

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • moving PVC DWV

    I'd appreciate some professional advice on this. I am planning on remodeling my kitchen and the sink drain needs to be moved 12" to the right to accommodate the cabinets I would like to install. Here's my question -

    Can I cut the PVC 12" below the current drain, install a 45, install a straight line (about 16" or so), install a second 45 to turn verticle again, install the Y (it is a Y isn't it?), install another 45 to head back, another 16" line, another 45 and then connect back into the vent stack?

    If that's not allowed, any suggestions on how to move the thing over 12" without having to find the line in the basement, cut it, move it over, install an new riser and then a new vent?

    Thanks.

  • #2
    Re: moving PVC DWV

    Originally posted by mkhoch View Post
    I'd appreciate some professional advice on this. I am planning on remodeling my kitchen and the sink drain needs to be moved 12" to the right to accommodate the cabinets I would like to install. Here's my question -

    Can I cut the PVC 12" below the current drain, install a 45, install a straight line (about 16" or so), install a second 45 to turn verticle again, install the Y (it is a Y isn't it?), install another 45 to head back, another 16" line, another 45 and then connect back into the vent stack?

    If that's not allowed, any suggestions on how to move the thing over 12" without having to find the line in the basement, cut it, move it over, install an new riser and then a new vent?

    Thanks.
    Not a Y a sanitary tee.
    THE GLASS IS ALWAYS HALF FULL

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: moving PVC DWV

      all you have to do is cut out the tee or t-y what ever you may have, replace the tee pointing it in the direction that you need it to go then turn it out with a 90 elbow, then just use a coupling to reconnect the vent.
      ________
      Gong Bong
      Last edited by TOPDAWG; 02-24-2011, 04:37 PM.
      Mike

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: moving PVC DWV

        Thats way too much work, just cut out the Y, and intall a new wye sideways in teh direction you need to go, then use a elbow to come out of the cabinet. Simple.

        The way you described is technically allowed but will make it more difficult to snake out the pipe in the future.

        (Topdawg beat me to it.)
        Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: moving PVC DWV

          Thanks for the replies - it would seem to me though that turning the sanitary tee (got that right this time I think) to the right, extending the line 12" and then turning back out with a 90 would make it very difficult to snake?

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: moving PVC DWV

            Originally posted by mkhoch View Post
            Thanks for the replies - it would seem to me though that turning the sanitary tee (got that right this time I think) to the right, extending the line 12" and then turning back out with a 90 would make it very difficult to snake?
            No. If you use a T-Y with a gradual bend, (or even a Y and 45) it will make it easy.
            Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: moving PVC DWV



              This type of fitting would be best. Its called a combination Y.
              Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: moving PVC DWV

                thanks for all your help! I think I've got it. Will make the wife VERY happy to hear that she can have her lazy-susan corner cabinet now!

                Mark

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: moving PVC DWV

                  A combination would be easier to snake but is not code compliant as a connection from a trap arm to a drain/vnent...
                  To connect the trap arm to the drain, you have to use a sanitary tee...
                  A wye and 45 or combination fitting doesnot allow the proper venting...
                  For a cleanout, you can put a cleanout tee below the sanitary tee in the riser..

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: moving PVC DWV

                    San-tee in the wall,long sweep or 45 on the horizontal trap arm stubbed out of wall under the fixture

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: moving PVC DWV

                      comby is not code compliant, a few others said what needed to be done, point the santee to the right and use a l/s 9o on the dirty arm, if your scared of snaking it, which you shouldn't be, it is easy on a 12-18" dirty arm, then install a c/o above the santee.

                      dirty arms suck to snake when your going a distance, like 3 -5', then the cable can go up the vent easy.

                      so anywho, do the santee to the right, m/s or l/s and install a c/o above the santee. use a street santee to save room in height.
                      sigpic

                      Robert

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: moving PVC DWV

                        Originally posted by westcoastplumber View Post
                        comby is not code compliant, a few others said what needed to be done, point the santee to the right and use a l/s 9o on the dirty arm, if your scared of snaking it, which you shouldn't be, it is easy on a 12-18" dirty arm, then install a c/o above the santee.

                        dirty arms suck to snake when your going a distance, like 3 -5', then the cable can go up the vent easy.

                        so anywho, do the santee to the right, m/s or l/s and install a c/o above the santee. use a street santee to save room in height.
                        HUH?

                        A spigoting san-tee with a clean-out above it?

                        Did you know................CRACK KILLS.

                        Such a great guy....So easy to tease.

                        Where are you sitting on the plane to Ohio.I need to make sure,so I can preset the tragectory on my spitballs

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: moving PVC DWV

                          I never heard of a combination being non-code compliant in that situation? Doesn't make any sense to me, I'll have to look it up.
                          Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: moving PVC DWV

                            Combo or wye/45 would create 3/4 s-trap...illegal.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: moving PVC DWV

                              Originally posted by UA22PLumberdude View Post
                              Combo or wye/45 would create 3/4 s-trap...illegal.
                              Thanks, that makes sense now.

                              (its obvious I do a lot more drain-cleaning than I do rough-ins; so I was looking at it from an easy drain-cleaning point of view, and I put my foot in my mouth.)
                              Last edited by Service Guy; 03-08-2008, 01:44 AM.
                              Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X