X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Proper name for clear pipe

Whats the proper name for clear PVC (or likeness) pipe?
    We are looking at setting up a booth at local events and need about 5' as part of a display. So far Googling clear pvc only yields expensive pipe @ $18.50 a ft with 10' min.
    Any cheaper alternatives?
    INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
    Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Re: Proper name for clear pipe

Originally posted by Gene Bickford View Post
    Whats the proper name for clear PVC (or likeness) pipe?
    We are looking at setting up a booth at local events and need about 5' as part of a display. So far Googling clear pvc only yields expensive pipe @ $18.50 a ft with 10' min.
    Any cheaper alternatives?
    Clear PVC is the correct name. You should be able to find it cheaper at a local plastic supply.

Mark
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

You don't mean Tygon tubing, do you? Google "Tygon tubing" for quite a few sources. Lowes has clear flexible tubing for much cheaper than you posted whcih can be bought by the foot, no minimum.

Go
      Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

I have a company I'm dealing with on the second business that can sell me any size pipe, any wall thickness in a array of colors that are translucent/see through.

Expensive but you can order anything almost in sizes you need.
        Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Off topic but had to throw this in. Worked in a chemistry lab at a university once; they had GLASS pipe. Only place I've ever seen it. Assume it had to do with corrosion resistance.
          This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

If anyone comes up with something, let me know. I've been looking for clear pvc for a while now for classroom drmonstration projects.
            sigpic

Comment

I Found a few but it's expensive 4" is $18.50 a foot with a 10' min(shipping ???). I only need 5'. How much do you need?

I've seen the glass pipe in labs as well. I'd have to take a 2nd mortgage to get 5' of that. I guess they use it for several reasons one being corrosion. Heat. It won't absorb any chemical so when they put something else in they will not mix and, easy cleaning.
              INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
              Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Go to www.excelon.com

Explain your needs. Perhaps they will send you a sample. Same thing for

www.harvel.com

Comment

I installed glass acid-waste drainage many, many years ago. The manufacturer sent a set of tools - a bench stand with a flame ring. Basically, a special cutter to cut the pipe, roll it in the flame to make a bead, check the bead with a go/no go guage, slip a clamp on it and torque it. Fittings are premade. It's all about careful measuring. I seem to remember the brand was Pyrex but it was so long ago . . .

Comment

Plastic Head,,, Thanks for the link, very helpfull
                    sigpic

Comment

No problem NHMaster. Glad to help.

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                        If anyone comes up with something, let me know. I've been looking for clear pvc for a while now for classroom drmonstration projects.
                        If you ever get a chance to visit Las Vegas stop by the Plumbing Local. They have the entire DWV system for the second floor men's restroom plumbed in clear PVC on one wall of a downstairs classroom. All of the lines are extended so that the horizontal is just above the floor. It's quite educational to watch how the waste travels in the pipe.

Mark
                        "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by Herk View Post
                          I installed glass acid-waste drainage many, many years ago. The manufacturer sent a set of tools - a bench stand with a flame ring. Basically, a special cutter to cut the pipe, roll it in the flame to make a bead, check the bead with a go/no go guage, slip a clamp on it and torque it. Fittings are premade. It's all about careful measuring. I seem to remember the brand was Pyrex but it was so long ago . . .
                          Yup,Pyrex is a Mfg of borosilicate glass pipe.
                          Lots of fun for drain cleaners who don't know the stuff in in the walls!

Comment

Originally posted by Herk View Post
                            Lots of fun for drain cleaners who don't know the stuff is in the walls!

Comment

Originally posted by Jay Mpls View Post
                              Lots of fun for drain cleaners who don't know the stuff is in the walls!
                              That must make a mess. From what I understand the stuff is easily broken.
                              Had a guy tell me he installed a bunch. His per day average of breakage was about equal to what he installed. His boss was not impressed.

Comment

Working...
                              X