Pressure Reducing Valve Brand

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pressure Reducing Valve Brand

I will be replacing my pressure reducing valve (PRV)...just wondering if there was a preferred brand. I see Watts and Cash Acme in most of the supply books I have.
    Last edited by Adenn1; 03-10-2008, 08:49 AM.

Re: Pressure Reducing Valve Brand

a wilkins 600 or the wilkins 70 with double union are very common here.

rick.

also you want to install a new shut off valve on the inlet and outlet side of that regulator and meter. ball valves are preferred now.
    Last edited by PLUMBER RICK; 03-10-2008, 09:40 AM.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Ric:

Thanks for the advice on Wilkins. Yes, new ball valves are replacing the old gate valves.

Comment

make sure you contact your local water company as many will not allow a sweat connection on the service line. You may have to use a mac-pack fitting or a flare style to adapt to copper water line.
        ________
        Iolite vaporizer
        Last edited by TOPDAWG; 02-24-2011, 03:40 PM.
        Mike

Comment

What you have there is a Watts 25AUB-Z3 and it would probably be easiest to replace it with the same thing, since you won 't have to make any piping changes.

25AUB-Z3
          Water Pressure Reducing Valves
          Size(s) :
          1/2 to 2 in. (15 to 50mm)
          Description:Series 25AUB-Z3 Water Pressure Reducing Valves are used in commercial and residential applications to reduce incoming water pressure for protection of plumbing system components and to reduce water consumption. It consists of a bronze body construction, union inlet connection, integral stainless steel strainer and high temperature resistant reinforced diaphragm for hot water. The Series 25AUB-Z3 is available with a variety of end connections including: threaded, solder, PEX and CPVC with both union and double union connections. Series 25AUB-Z3 has an adjustable pressure range and is serviceable in-line. Maximum Working Pressure: 300psi (21 bar), Adjustable Reduced Pressure Range: 25 to 75psi (172 to 517 kPa), Standard Pressure Setting: 50psi (344kPa).
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TOPDAWG View Post
            make sure you contact your local water company as many will not allow a sweat connection on the service line. You may have to use a mac-pack fitting or a flare style to adapt to copper water line.
            It is hard to tell from the photo but it looks like those are threaded valves. If so it no problem to thread in new ball valves

Comment

Originally posted by rombo View Post
              It is hard to tell from the photo but it looks like those are threaded valves. If so it no problem to thread in new ball valves

Yep, all threaded. Going down to the supply house tomorrow to get the ball valves and the Watts 25AUB-Z3--called ahead and they had 1/2" in stock and quoted $74 for it.

Comment

Originally posted by Adenn1 View Post
                Yep, all threaded. Going down to the supply house tomorrow to get the ball valves and the Watts 25AUB-Z3--called ahead and they had 1/2" in stock and quoted $74 for it.

hard to scale from the photo, but it looks more like a 1'' service reduced to 3/4''.

1/2'' is not anything i've ever seen out here for a meter or regulator on a service.

it should be cast into the valves. also the o.d. of 1/2'' copper is 5/8''.
                3/4'' copper is 7/8'' and 1'' copper is 1.125''.

if it's only 1/2'', i would still up the regulator to 3/4''. this will allow for better flow and less drop off.

good luck

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

Rick:

If you can see it, look to the right of the Watts triangle on the PRV and you may see where it is stamped 1/2..so I was going by this as the size. My water bill notes that it is a 5/8 service line.

So to increase the PRV to 3/4...what would you use coming out of the new 1/2 ball valve...some sort of 3/4 to 1/2 threaded reducer?

Thanks.

Comment

A Wilkins 70 made me $165 today to replace just the threaded brass piece onto a 3/4" MIP.

For some reason all of a sudden the brass cracked and split open enough to flood the basement.

I had to run and get that PRV because I personally won't install one.

The water district uses them in the pit for high pressure zones, of course they're buying them because they are the cheapest.

Whenever I have to replace a bad PRV, it's 9 times out of 10 a Wilkins.

kill it again and again
                    Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Originally posted by DUNBAR View Post
                      A Wilkins 70 made me $165 today to replace just the threaded brass piece onto a 3/4" MIP.

For some reason all of a sudden the brass cracked and split open enough to flood the basement.

I had to run and get that PRV because I personally won't install one.

The water district uses them in the pit for high pressure zones, of course they're buying them because they are the cheapest.

Whenever I have to replace a bad PRV, it's 9 times out of 10 a Wilkins.

kill it again and again
                      They have had a big problem with the brass splitting at that point for some time now. Our local supplier stocks just that part so it makes for a easy fix.
                      ________
                      OPEL ZAFIRA
                      Last edited by TOPDAWG; 02-24-2011, 03:45 PM.
                      Mike

Comment

I guess I am happy that I did not make it to the supply house this weekend to get the Watts...I happened to be at Lowes with my wife and decided to walk down to the plumbing section...they has the Watts 25 AUB-z3--3/4" for $37 bucks. I decided to take it up to the counter to see if the price was right and it rang up at $37.

Not sure if this was a mess-up at Lowes...but the two supply houses I have in my area both wanted $74 for the valve.

Nice to get a break once in a while.

Comment

Working...
                        X