Pex Re-pipe

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Pex Re-pipe

If you go to the flow guard gold web site and read the propoganda they claim the new pipe (gold) is far superior to the old pipe. From there you'll have to form your own opinion. We had a flow guard rep come to the shop and demo the product. I suppose it might be ok, but as I said before, I've seen way too much broken cpvc to ever want to install the stuff.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
      You are too kind(hoping for Wirsbo)

Call the contractor up and tell him what you want!
      Very good point...will pass this on to my sister. She is getting a second bid from a company she was familar with when she was living in a condo a few years ago. She typing up the questions raised here and will ask both to address each in the bids.

Thanks for everyone's help. She feels so much better being informed and making the best decision in her interest.

Comment

Originally posted by Ace Sewer View Post
        Get a bid to redo in copper. If it is anywhere near close, like within twice as much, and she plans on living there for a long while, go copper. Pex is cpvc only newer.

You need to do a bit more research here. Pex and cpve are not even close. Either in chemical composition or properties. To lump pex in with cpvc is doing the product a great disservice. There is nothing evenly remotely similar about the two products including installation methods and fitting attachment. You can certainly argue the merits of the different manufactures of pex and fittings, but do not include cpvc in the argument. For those of you doing repair work, you are indeed welcome to your opinions of the merits of copper. (though you will NEVER see a pin hole leak on pex) But if you have to competitivly bid new construction, and you are bidding copper, you may as well close up shop.
        sigpic

Comment

I love pex pipe. I'm not a plumber,and I suck at sweating copper. I spent the 115$ bucks for the pex wrench but it was worth every dime. It great stuff for a hack like me

Comment

pex is the only way to go. i use zurn pex it has a 25 year warranty. you guys with your copper? (computers are bad stick with typewriters)
            Mike
            Clark County Plumbing And Drain
            www.plumbinginclarkcounty.com

Comment

I was watching Ask This old House and they did a spotlight on a repiping company I think that was in SC. The company does repipes only in CPVC. I personally would take quest over CPVC. Almost.
              Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Ben, did you just make a type-o?

Quest over CPVC?!?!

Why's that?
                Proud To Be Union!!

Comment

I said "almost".
                  Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Why do you think so lowly of CPVC to even 'put it next to' Quest then?

To me it's like a football to a baseball.
                    Proud To Be Union!!

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                      I was watching Ask This old House and they did a spotlight on a repiping company I think that was in SC. The company does repipes only in CPVC. I personally would take quest over CPVC. Almost.
                      I watched that same episode. In my area, the outfits that were doing only polybute replacement were also using CPVC for everything. I think it must have had something to do with the settlement of the lawsuit. It could also be easier to explain the difference to the homeowners. Every know and then I have to explain why PEX and poly are not the same thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron91 View Post
                        Why do you think so lowly of CPVC to even 'put it next to' Quest then?

To me it's like a football to a baseball.
                        I've seen CPVC that was so fragile it has to be cut with a right angle grinder as any toothed blade will crack it. Just seen too many bad CPVC examples to be comfortable with it. The majority of quest leaks I've seen were due to workmanship or with the plastic fittings.
                        Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Was it Cpvc Flow Guard Gold?
                          Proud To Be Union!!

Comment

Some of it yes.
                            Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Hmm...

Cpvc has been around since 1959, so it being brittle is understand-able.

Touch copper that was installed in 1959 and it's gonna be close to the same way.
                              Proud To Be Union!!

Comment

i do a tonn of renos latley and allot are from the 60's in copper and the lines are great. i8 just went to one yesterday with cpvc, which is really rare here. i touched it whil leaning over to look up to see how the lines were run and it all fell apart, live of coarse. who new abs glue wouldn't work on pvc...oh that's right people who can read
                                how is it that so many answers are in the instructions

Comment

Working...
                                X