X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pex Re-pipe

My sister is facing a re-pipe of her home in Minnesota. It is a 1920's home with old galvenized pipes. The plumbing company she has worked with in past and has been very happy with is recommending a pex re-piping of the water lines in the house.

I read over the bid sheet and it was missing some specifics I would want to know. It basically noted upgrading to pex lines,with new shut-offs, supplies, and fixtures. Aside from my questions...anything else that needs to be asked or addressed in the bid?
    1. What brand/manufacturer of pex is going to be installed?
    2. Are there any warranties associated with pex being installed?

Re: Pex Re-pipe

I have done pex repipes. I always give my customer's a warranty...on my parts & labor. If they didn't give you a written warranty with the bid, then ask them for one.
    Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

Yes, you should be somewhat familiar with the differences in PEX brands. A good source for technical information is:

www.flowguardflex.com

Comment

flowguardflex is not pex pipe, it is cpvc. it has a aluminum layer added to make it bendable and more suitable for underground installation.
        ________
        Last edited by TOPDAWG; 02-24-2011, 05:40 PM.
        Mike

Comment

As far as I know only Wirsbo gives a lifetime warrenty on their pex and fittings
          sigpic

Comment

What kind of manifold system will be installed? Think of an electric circuit breaker panel but for water. Makes life very convient. Are you going to have pex stub outs or copper(better)? Insulation-the house is in Minnesota-think about it. How are they going to protect the pex in the studs? The majority of the pex leaks I've seen have been due to pex rubbing on studs.
            Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Thanks for all of the advice...I plan on speaking with the contractor myself and I will ask all of these questions.

Let me ask this...would it be too much to ask that many of these details be spelled out in a new bid/contract. I think the more details there are in the bid...the better off everyone is...particularly the homeowner. They know exactly what they are getting...and provides them something to refer to while work is completed and prior to paying final payment.

I can ask these questions...but would rather have it all in writing.
              Last edited by Adenn1; 03-11-2008, 07:22 AM.

Comment

From the home owners standpoint, I would check into the product warranty very carefully. Most pex products carry some kind of warrenty on the pipe but you have to look at the fittings as well. I have never been a fan of cpvc piping even if it does have an aluminum coating on it. Particulary in cold climates where when this stuff freezes the damage is considerable. I know I'll get a lot of replies from the flow guard gold guys but I have seen way way too many broken and shattered cpvc pipes in my lifetime.
                sigpic

Comment

If it's not in writing, it was never said.
                  Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Your absolutely right NHMaster3015, My company has been installing Flowguard Gold CPVC for about 6 years now and have installed it in hundreds of new homes, the reps for Flowguard told us that it can take a freeze and will stay pliable for years. Bull crap, if it freezes it shatters if it gets hot it gets extremely brittle. For a product that they say has been out for over 40 years I am surprised there has not been some sort of class action law suit brought up against it.
                    ________
                    AMC AMX-GT SPECIFICATIONS
                    Last edited by TOPDAWG; 02-24-2011, 05:41 PM.
                    Mike

Comment

I've never been told CPVC can handle freezing, and the brittle nature over time is well known.
                      I'm not too fond of any plastic water pipe, but the PEX fittings & connection types make me the most nervous.
                      I won't do crimps, not on my license...NHmaster has good reviews about Wirsbo and I have to agree..I used it extensively on baseboard before it was code approved here, and for a bried period on potable, had very few problems barring removing an expansion ring once with a razor knife and unknowingly scored the barbs.
                      The pitfall on the expansion type Wirsbo is the fittings are constricted.

I guess in the end, I just can't get over the appearance...never stays straight.
                      It makes me feel like we're one step away from installing garden hose.

Comment

I have never installed CPVC in my life and never will. I have never had any problem with pex EVER. CPVC though is like delicate glass...super brittle. I don't understand how its legal?
                        Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

Get a bid to redo in copper. If it is anywhere near close, like within twice as much, and she plans on living there for a long while, go copper. Pex is cpvc only newer.
                          This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

My sister did ask about a copper re-fit and they told her it would be a minimum twice as much, if not much, much more. She is financially not in a position to shell that type of money out. She lost her job over a year ago and is only finding part-time work. Her ability to stay in the house is not in question, but she understands that if she were to have to sell it...selling with the old pipes would be a big problem in today's market.

I am hoping that the contractor tells me that they are going to use Wirsbo.

Comment

Originally posted by Adenn1 View Post
                              My sister did ask about a copper re-fit and they told her it would be a minimum twice as much, if not much, much more. She is financially not in a position to shell that type of money out. She lost her job over a year ago and is only finding part-time work. Her ability to stay in the house is not in question, but she understands that if she were to have to sell it...selling with the old pipes would be a big problem in today's market.

I am hoping that the contractor tells me that they are going to use Wirsbo.
                              You are too kind(hoping for Wirsbo)

Call the contractor up and tell him what you want!

Comment

Working...
                              X