X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Is it the cheap tailpc. or Me?

I am a new member and yet I have already given advice in multiple threads. But some questions just come across as ridiculous. Questions along the line of: "I just installed something that may be a cheap piece of junk and its leaking everywhere, what do I do?"
    Hmm...Call a plumber.
    Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

Originally posted by 'Stormin View Post
      Thanks Rick, Now I am livid! This is one of those internal cylinder plug types. I just pulled the plastic cylinder up to see if drains faster. The bottom "O"-ring fell off so its down there somewhere! Also notice its only 1-1/4"Dia. for the overflow section. Now I wonder if I just assumed the rest was 1-1/2"? They wouldn't do that would they!? It does drain a little faster but not impressive.
      Should I just leave the cylinder out and just use a rubber sink stopper? I was so proud of myself because I got the 300# tub in place all by myself. That alone should have made me realize it wouldn't work! Of coarse this has to be in the furthest corner of the crawlspace 40' from opening. Nice!
      Would a 2" P-Trap help or would that just be more likely to clog due to slower flow?
      I'll try to get a PIC . Thanks.
      OHHH-NO,

Those things are junk.Pick out another assembly.Do you really want the trip lever.Why not tip toe.

2" trap is great,slow flow or not.

Comment

Which thread Duckman.I know there was something going on a few weeks ago.I can't remember.I yell at everyone so I won't remember the OP from Adam.

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
          Which thread Duckman.I know there was something going on a few weeks ago.I can't remember.I yell at everyone so I won't remember the OP from Adam.
          Look through "threads started" on the profile.

Comment

Originally posted by Service Guy View Post
            I am a new member and yet I have already given advice in multiple threads. But some questions just come across as ridiculous. Questions along the line of: "I just installed something that may be a cheap piece of junk and its leaking everywhere, what do I do?"
            Hmm...Call a plumber.
            I do not claim to be a plumber and do not downgrade any profession or try to cut someone out of a job-just a Do-it-myself when I can. I belong to several computer forums and give free advice daily. Computers are in everyones life anymore and the young,old and most of all the ones who know nothing about one try to do something or learn how to operate one and we give advice daily instead of telling them to go to the Geek Squad or whatever. Many are grandparents who have received a computer from a family member so they can stay in touch with the email program, 8 out of 10 mess something up while learning and Bingo it won't boot up. Many do it over and over but we give advice to all. Most people are experts in something and "most" are willing to share their talents with a smile and not grudgingly. I have received suggestions and appreciated all the advice I received and try to thank all.

quickshot

Comment

As I stated earlier in the thread, read Stormins' posts throughout the forum. If you think he is of the type person that you want to give advice, then by all means give advice. But I've read them and am inclined not too.

Comment

I have to give advice. It's what they pay me for.
                sigpic

Comment

If by "chat" you mean answering a bunch of extremely boring questions about getting thru the code & inspection process than yeah.
                  Right now I am wondering how to rig up a 5PSI pressure test on my DWV system. I can't seem to even find a pressure gauge online to buy that makes sense to me.
                  I have a good bike pump with a gauge that works great for inflating "test balloons" but I don't understand how I use it or an air compressor with any of the gauges I see.
                  One article I found shows a combination test plugs W/Gauge but I havn't been able to find one by web searching.

I did a successfull 28' Head water test but I'm afraid to leave it long enough because one of the 1-1/2" plugs was working it's way loose getting ready to spill tons of water all over which would be no big deal in summer but would cause a freezing mess rite now.

Any ideas? Thanks.
                  I don't quite get your point? I've been drinking the water for months now and tastes good.
                  Is your concern backflow into city sytem? During the coarse of my remodel the Fire F wanted sprinklers and the W. Dept. was adamant about seperate dedicated $5,000 meter with backflow built in.
                  Somehow by this time I have a brand new $3,000 meter for drinking water and no backflow required. Why - I have no idea.
                  I also have no Idea how sprinkler thing got dropped by wayside.
                  Anyway - If you want to go ahead with all city requirements w/o question by all means waste your extra $20,000!
                  I could tear out and re-do my plumbing 3 times and it wouldn't cost what a "Pro" would. And actually - I did hire part of my DWV system because I was unsure about passing code on some venting. Total PC of crap job but it passed partly because guy too lasy to go down in crawlspace (thank god) to inspect anything. Waste of $1,000 thought.
                  Should I have left my 50 year old galv. pipe in place and kept drinking god knows what out of that?
                  All I've learned is that following the rules costs a lot and has absolutley nothing to do with safety. Its all revenue generation for municipality with a tiny bit of inspection thrown in to make it look like they did something.
                  C' Days - I think you miss-understood. I did (do) have a permit and I passed with NO errors, failures, call backs whatever.
                  It's pretty easy to run a 1" Pex line from a new water meter and branch off to a few things such as water heater and what not. Man - It must be easy if I pulled it off!
                  Sorry if new materials cutting into business or whatever your concern. I'm just not into pissing away money to city. Latest thing I got from them is he's trying to say my Manufactured Truss system is missing some bracing! I was S.'ing bricks thinking I'd done it wrong. I hadn't. Their engineer had to call and straighten him out. What was that all about - showingme who's boss and nothing else. Have a good one!
                  Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                  First of all this is the "Ask the Plumbing Experts" forum so I see no reason to give the guy a hard time for doing what the Forum title asks for.
                  Mark, you're 100% right but I look at "Ask the plumbing experts" for those who have 1 or 2 plumbing problems. This guy is doing a remodel and wanted to save money. He has disdain for plumbers, inspectors and thinks he knows better. Dog made a comment some time ago, "what do you offer"? I was at first resentful that Dog would make such a comment. Over time and dealing with leeches such as stormin made me realize he was right. Stormin will glean as much knowledge from us as possible and offer nothing in return. He needs to call a plumber or find a different forum that have DIY'ers as their target audience.
                  Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Stormin, it's you.
                    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                      Mark, you're 100% right but I look at "Ask the plumbing experts" for those who have 1 or 2 plumbing problems. This guy is doing a remodel and wanted to save money. He has disdain for plumbers, inspectors and thinks he knows better. Dog made a comment some time ago, "what do you offer"? I was at first resentful that Dog would make such a comment. Over time and dealing with leeches such as stormin made me realize he was right. Stormin will glean as much knowledge from us as possible and offer nothing in return. He needs to call a plumber or find a different forum that have DIY'ers as their target audience.
                      Fair enough as I may have missed some of the history with my schedule of late. Still the better tack would be for those who have tired of him to ignore his posts. I will take you on your judgement and do the same.

Thanks-Mark
                      "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Guys - You have made a lot of assumtions about me. Maybe I am jealous of the fact that you have a marketable skill that I do not. I meant ZERO disrepect to anyone here. If you want advice on where to paraglide, kayak or hike in WA state thats about all I can offer you.
                        I have hired good plumbers. Problem is since a good plumbers work lasts along time he's not around next time. Judging by the thickness of plumbing section in yellow pages I don't think you need to worry about anything. Its not easy to find a good person in any of the construction trades when you are on the outside. Unless a friend or neighbor has recently had some work done "who ya gonna call" if you don't know who's good?
                        I only had 1 estimate (he wouldn't do pex) and then I hired the next guy. If you say $1200 was good to do DWV for a std. bath then I beleive you. The "re-vent" on this bath tub drain is laid flat. I beleive it's supposed to be 45' or more from horizontal (but I am not sure). I doubt that it will cause any
                        problem. I glued up a Watco ABS drain assy. and its holding tight with tub filled to brim. My glue job & the Plumbers glue job working together in unison!
                        Anyway - I'm sorry if you thought I was knocking any of you. I am extremely unhappy about how the city has fought me to extremes you wouldn't beleive on each and every aspect of my project so I let my attitude spill over. Sorry.
                        I certainly don't think I'm better than anyone if thats what you thought.
                        If I was smarter I would have read in Harold Massey's book that internal parts type stoppers are NOT recommended. Seems to drain just fine now. Thanks.

Comment

uh I think we all know what's wrong except for stormin. Hey you should storm down to that Home Depot and talk to that electrician again.
                          ANYONE CAN TAKE THE HELM WHEN THE SEA IS CALM.

Comment

Working...
                          X