X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it the cheap tailpc. or Me?

I let the H Depot guy talk me into a PVC tub drain assy. by "watts". I thought plastic was a good idea.
    Wrong - Doesn't seal completely for bathing. Water barely goes down the drain. I thought because plumbing is new that it would work great. This tailpc. drops about 8-10" beneath subfloor, goes thru 1-1/2" P-Trap and transitions to 2" PVC after about 12-18". There is a Re-Vent in about another 12-18".
    IF I re-do it with a high quality brass tailpc. and drop it into a 2" P-Trap do you think it will work better? What particular tailpc. set up do you recommend. The tub is a Kholer Villager if that matters. Dang it - thought this was a no brainer. Well I guess it sort of was. IDIOT!
    Thanks for any advice. (The DWV system was hired out but I think maybe isn't absolute best job possible)

Re: Is it the cheap tailpc. or Me?

a picture of the set up would help.

the tub stopper is to blame for the slow and leaking tub water. is it a toe stopper or lift and turn? does it drain faster without the stopper?

typically when we use plastic/abs, we use sch. 40 for the waste and overflow assy. not tubular plastic. on brass we use tubular.

although the plastic tubular is a cheap product that might be an issue down the road with snaking as it's flimsy, the problems you're describing are not due to being tubular plastic.

once again a picture is easier to understand than the description of your installation.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Thanks Rick, Now I am livid! This is one of those internal cylinder plug types. I just pulled the plastic cylinder up to see if drains faster. The bottom "O"-ring fell off so its down there somewhere! Also notice its only 1-1/4"Dia. for the overflow section. Now I wonder if I just assumed the rest was 1-1/2"? They wouldn't do that would they!? It does drain a little faster but not impressive.
      Should I just leave the cylinder out and just use a rubber sink stopper? I was so proud of myself because I got the 300# tub in place all by myself. That alone should have made me realize it wouldn't work! Of coarse this has to be in the furthest corner of the crawlspace 40' from opening. Nice!
      Would a 2" P-Trap help or would that just be more likely to clog due to slower flow?
      I'll try to get a PIC . Thanks.

Comment

Next time hire a plumber!
        (sorry couldn't help it.)
        Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

I'm with Service Guy. I know what's wrong with this but I'm not telling. If you read some of Stormins' posts he thinks all plumbers charge too much. And that he can do it all himself but then comes here for free-unappreciated info so he can cut the plumber out. Go read his posts and if you disagree, offer advice. But I don't think we should help him. Go figure your problems out on your own.

Comment

I knew that was coming! I will fix it myself with or without advice. You may not have noticed I did hire a plumber to install DWV for 1 Std. Bath. $1200 / ABS DWV only. It passed inspection but I'm not sure if that was because he only looked at system above crawlspace (Hey - I don't blame him). i'm pretty sure the venting was done very well but what do I know. Was $1200 a good deal? I honestly don't know. Thanks.

Comment

OK- Thats just funny there. I don't care who you are. I threw my cherne in and filled the tub to see if leaks B4 make any decisions. Water was shooting out of the 2 main overflow screw holes so now I don't know if its leaking everywhere or what! I don't recall saying I knew everything about plumbing. I'll take my humble pie back down in the crawlspace with me.

Comment

it's Your Attitude Not The Plumbing Call A Plumber To Get It Resolved
                JERRYMAC
                E-MAILJERRYMAC777@GMAIL.COM
                CALIF. LIC. PLBG,HEAT,DRAINS,ELECTRIC,WATER HEATER, BOILER, POOL AND SPA HEATER
                FIRE SPRINKLER CONTRACTOR,
                SINCE JAN. 1989

Comment

Last Post. I still know what's wrong.

Now to all others, don't respond to anything from this person and just let him talk/type to himself. Cheapskate. For gosh sake, he is asking the guy at HD about plumbing so he doesn't have to pay YOU.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                    Last Post. I still know what's wrong.

Now to all others, don't respond to anything from this person and just let him talk/type to himself. Cheapskate. For gosh sake, he is asking the guy at HD about plumbing so he doesn't have to pay YOU.
                    I've gotten ALOT of dissention for statements like this in the past, so I've kinda been skimming over the "ask the plumbing experts" posts.

I'm ok if you want to double check what your current plumber is doing and seek a 2nd opinion, I'm fine with questions on whether you should get something repaired, or if you'd like to diagnose a potential problem...but -

I hope I didn't just see a complaint about a price of $1200 to repipe the DWV for a bath group. ( what were the threads on DWV testing for?)

I just can't see an experienced, licensed & insured plumber doing it at that price with permits, I truly hope the guy learned to avoid bargain hunters from the experience, I've had my share in the past.

If I have the time to sit around and offer advice from hard earned experience, it possibly means I might be one of the guys you had drive over on my time & gas to give you a free estimate, because I already know you refuse to pay for estimates, I know well.
                    Do you really think I'm up to offering freebie advice on that very work on top of that?

Even a little humble gratitude might sway me...but to openly disclose plumbers are rip-offs or too expensive, then ask those very plumbers for advice...LOL...sorry, have a nice day.

Comment

Originally posted by 'Stormin View Post
                      I let the H Depot guy talk me into a PVC tub drain assy. by "watts". I thought plastic was a good idea.
                      Wrong - Doesn't seal completely for bathing. Water barely goes down the drain. I thought because plumbing is new that it would work great. This tailpc. drops about 8-10" beneath subfloor, goes thru 1-1/2" P-Trap and transitions to 2" PVC after about 12-18". There is a Re-Vent in about another 12-18".
                      IF I re-do it with a high quality brass tailpc. and drop it into a 2" P-Trap do you think it will work better? What particular tailpc. set up do you recommend. The tub is a Kholer Villager if that matters. Dang it - thought this was a no brainer. Well I guess it sort of was. IDIOT!
                      Thanks for any advice. (The DWV system was hired out but I think maybe isn't absolute best job possible)

No... It's probably you.. Just kidding. Not a big fan of plactic tubular tub wastes. Though if you can't get it to stop leaking you can always glue the damn thing together.
                      sigpic

Comment

First of all this is the "Ask the Plumbing Experts" forum so I see no reason to give the guy a hard time for doing what the Forum title asks for.

As far as the question though I think you need to complete the thought process before asking your question. Are you critical of the Waste & Overflow or just the tailpiece?

Mark
                        "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

I already gave my serious advice. Its not like he's asking how to replace a fillvalve or something minor. Let a pro do the tub drain installation.
                          Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

Maybe we should all stop giving advice.?
                            sigpic

Comment

Maybe it's just me but a waste & overflow is hardly rocket science. As far as advice goes there are those who avoid the "Ask the Plumbing Expert" forum because they do not want to give DIY advice. It seems that is probably the way to handle it for those who do not want to give advice.

Mark
                              "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Working...
                              X