Glacier Bay shower control

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Glacier Bay shower control

I got into a remodel/repair on a mobile home. The shower had a Glacier Bay shower control w/spicket diverter,water comes out the shower nosel when you turn on hot or cold water with out ingaging the diverter. Could not get it to stop this even after changing valves in the control. Went to home depot bought new Glacier Bay control w/spicket diverter and installed in just a few minutes no problem,but when the water is turned on the same thing happens. Water comes out the shower head while running water in the tub with out engaging the diverter. Why does this happen,water should only come out the spicket unless you pull up the diverter.

Re: Glacier Bay shower control

Two things. #1, It's a Glacier Bay so it's crap. #2, The piping to the diverter is undersized or has a restriction somewhere. #3, The water pressure is too high.
    sigpic

Comment

There's a reason Glacier Bay is the cheapest fixture on the market.
      Unfortunately, you get what you pay for.

Comment

No doubt manufactured by chinese that have ablolutly no idea what they are used for I can go one better though. There is a company up here selling Phoenix faucets. All plastic, Price $ 4.95 for the lav, $ 8.95 for the kitchen faucet and 15 bucks for a tub valve. Good Stuff
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
          No doubt manufactured by chinese that have ablolutly no idea what they are used for I can go one better though. There is a company up here selling Phoenix faucets. All plastic, Price $ 4.95 for the lav, $ 8.95 for the kitchen faucet and 15 bucks for a tub valve. Good Stuff
          I have actually seen all-plastic faucets too. My buddy at my old company went to a customer's house who wanted him to install one...it looked like a plastic happy meal toy. The customer was shocked when my buddy told them he refused to install it because it was so junky!
          Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

On a more serious note, what NHmaster said is my guess as well:
            #2, The piping to the diverter is undersized or has a restriction somewhere. #3, The water pressure is too high.
            Did you change the diverter spout and nipple? Those old galvanized nipples can get completely rusted shut. Also use a water-pressure test gauge to test that. Should be under 75 psi. If not you need a pressure-regulator installed.
            Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

It supprizes me how these ever get approval in the first place

Comment

Two things. #1, It's a Glacier Bay so it's crap. #2, The piping to the diverter is undersized or has a restriction somewhere. #3, The water pressure is too high.
                Hey that's 3 things

Comment

IIRC an upside down valve on some valves can produce this problem, but then again one would think that the hot and cold would be reversed too.

I agree...Glacier Bay= crap

Greg

Comment

I was just going to say it could be the valve is installed upside down, by the installer.

Fixing this is a cheap as the valve itself. install an inline ball valve between the showerhead arm and the head. It is a mobile home right?
                    ANYONE CAN TAKE THE HELM WHEN THE SEA IS CALM.

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
                      Hey that's 3 things
                      Woops.
                      sigpic

Comment

Get a different spout

Comment

Originally posted by ramtruk View Post
                          I got into a remodel/repair on a mobile home. The shower had a Glacier Bay shower control w/spicket diverter,water comes out the shower nosel when you turn on hot or cold water with out ingaging the diverter. Could not get it to stop this even after changing valves in the control. Went to home depot bought new Glacier Bay control w/spicket diverter and installed in just a few minutes no problem,but when the water is turned on the same thing happens. Water comes out the shower head while running water in the tub with out engaging the diverter. Why does this happen,water should only come out the spicket unless you pull up the diverter.

No the control was not installed upside down,and I did try putting a screw on cap on the shower nipple to try dislodging anything that might have been blocking the passage,didn't work. No rust in the pipe/nipple it's brand new and the pipes are pvc,water pressure might have been the culprit. Problem resolved tho,went back to Home Depot and without buying a more expensive control I got the 3 handle (glacier bay)control so it can only go the direction direction you turn the handle,work fine now. Would not have a problem with putting in a more expensive control but I'm fixing up to sell and the control is not going to make me any more money on the sell,but thanks for the input.

Comment

Originally posted by Ramtruk
                            Would not have a problem with putting in a more expensive control but I'm fixing up to sell and the control is not going to make me any more money on the sell,but thanks for the input.
                            Would you consider yourself a moral person, selling a house that you've purposely installed cheap, bound-to-fail junk to an unsuspecting buyer?

This is so typical - too cheap to hire a real plumber or buy decent quality material unless it's for #1. Everybody else can go suck eggs. Pass your problems on to someone else without a pang of conscience. And why not? Everybody else does it.

If there's any justice in the world, your next home will be worse than the one you left.

Comment

Three handle tub shower valves are not pressure balanced and present a scalding hazard. They are not code approved.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X