Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Cast Iron pipe replacement

Originally posted by DuckButter View Post
    Long time no see.
    If you need to have any portion of the vertical stack replaced, you cannot use PVC under the existing cast iron.
    Unforunately, in Mass anyway, you either have to use CI, or change out the entire vertical stack to PVC from basment through roof.
    That is one sweet code requirement.

Comment

Originally posted by Service Guy View Post
      Yeah, us service guys may not be the brightest at installing new systems, but we are sure knowledgeable about the intricacies of old plumbing systems.
      Everyone has their good qualities

Comment

Originally posted by Service Guy View Post
        The water tends to run on one side of the pipe. Every time someone flushes or runs water, the water runs on the same side over and over...erosion.
        The same way that that horizontal cast-iron (or even copper drains) cracks apart at the bottom after many years.
        The house was built in 1950. That means the cast iron may only has a life span about 60 yrs?

Comment

Originally posted by lmei007 View Post
          The house was built in 1950. That means the cast iron may only has a life span about 60 yrs?
          I'de be surprised if that piece cracked from erosion. Most likey the weight and stress of the stack above caused it. Some post WWII cast iron had poor casting. Most verticle stacks I see last over 100 years.

Looks too close to wall to get snappers around besides that crack runs all the way to the end of the pipe.

Call in a pro. This is not a weekend warrior project, too much at stake

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
            Call in a pro. This is not a weekend warrior project, too much at stake
            yes, sir. I am not strong enough for this project.

I have asked one good pro come to see it soon. Any other MA/NH professional plumber here?

Comment

Originally posted by lmei007 View Post
              yes, sir. I am not strong enough for this project.

I have asked one good pro come to see it soon. Any other MA/NH professional plumber here?
              Though there's no denying cast iron is heavy, it's not a matter of strength..more finesse than anything.
              Working on corroded cast iron pipe can be a "brittle" experience...also a snap cutter might not be the best way to cut the older pipe...good chance it could be crushed or shatter.

Comment

Don`t waste your money have it all replaced with PVC by a licensed plumber.

Regards
                Tony

Comment

Don`t waste your money have it all replaced with PVC by a licensed plumber.

?
                  sigpic

Comment

Wow you guys are throwing me here. I would cut out the bad vert piece and replace with PVC or ABS Assuming the high pipes are secured and not putting any weight on the plastic section. But in MA you have to use cast as repair?
                    If that is a must good suppliers sell no hub cast there right? By the way removing the lead from a hubbed fitting is pretty easy, you can do it with a screw driver and a hammer.
                    ANYONE CAN TAKE THE HELM WHEN THE SEA IS CALM.

Comment

Working...
                    X