Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Cast Iron pipe replacement Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Cast Iron pipe replacement

    Want to educate myself. I have to replace my cast iron drain because there is a long crack (The photos attached or link here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/lmei007).

    Few questions:

    1. no more cast iron? what's the best replacement then, pvc or ...?
    2. do i need to replace the entire pipe or just cut close to its hub?
    3. how can I fix the upper portion permanently? support it from the ground or hang it via those concrete walls?

    thanks
    Attached Files

  • #2
    Re: Cast Iron pipe replacement

    Strap the wye fitting securely to the joists above or concrete wall. Remove the two sections of pipe all the way down to that cleanout at the bottom. You will have to drill or melt the lead out of that hub which won't be easy. The section that has a crack is compromised and you shouldn't reuse any of it. Install 1 piece of cast iron between the cleanout and bottom of wye. You may have to grind the nub (brain freeze..what do you call this?) off the wye to get a Fernco coupling and shear ring on. The bottom that fits into the hub should be recaulked with lead and oakum.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Cast Iron pipe replacement



      The whole thing...like plumberscrack said, it will be difficult if you've never worked with hubbed cast-iron before.
      Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Cast Iron pipe replacement

        Originally posted by lmei007 View Post
        Want to educate myself. I have to replace my cast iron drain because there is a long crack (The photos attached or link here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/lmei007).

        Few questions:

        1. no more cast iron? what's the best replacement then, pvc or ...?
        2. do i need to replace the entire pipe or just cut close to its hub?
        3. how can I fix the upper portion permanently? support it from the ground or hang it via those concrete walls?

        thanks
        Long time no see.
        If you need to have any portion of the vertical stack replaced, you cannot use PVC under the existing cast iron.
        Unforunately, in Mass anyway, you either have to use CI, or change out the entire vertical stack to PVC from basment through roof.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Cast Iron pipe replacement

          Hey DB,


          I thought homeowners weren't supposed to do any plumbing work in MA?


          At least this is what somebody else from MA always mentions (packy)
          Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Cast Iron pipe replacement

            Originally posted by DUNBAR View Post
            Hey DB,


            I thought homeowners weren't supposed to do any plumbing work in MA?


            At least this is what somebody else from MA always mentions (packy)
            I fixed pipe leakage under my sink and replaced my kitchen faucet few weeks ago. I hope those are not illegal.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Cast Iron pipe replacement

              I would get hold of a chain snapper (your rent all ctr has them) cut out the pipe and replace it with c.i. and no hub clamps.
              sigpic

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Cast Iron pipe replacement

                Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                I would get hold of a chain snapper (your rent all ctr has them) cut out the pipe and replace it with c.i. and no hub clamps.
                Exactly.

                Also ensure that the CI is well supported with riser clamps-ceiling and floor before cutting. You can leave them in place once done.
                Buy cheap, buy twice.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Cast Iron pipe replacement

                  Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                  Exactly.

                  Also ensure that the CI is well supported with riser clamps-ceiling and floor before cutting. You can leave them in place once done.
                  You two prefer cutting the damaged portion but not the whole piece. Like shown on the photo?

                  One more question for you guys. How can the cast iron pipe having such long crack on it? Too cold? but should no water stored inside.
                  Attached Files

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Cast Iron pipe replacement

                    Originally posted by DUNBAR View Post
                    Hey DB,


                    I thought homeowners weren't supposed to do any plumbing work in MA?


                    At least this is what somebody else from MA always mentions (packy)
                    They're not, I'm assuming he's getting a pro for this.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Cast Iron pipe replacement

                      The water tends to run on one side of the pipe. Every time someone flushes or runs water, the water runs on the same side over and over...erosion.
                      The same way that that horizontal cast-iron (or even copper drains) cracks apart at the bottom after many years.
                      Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Cast Iron pipe replacement

                        Originally posted by lmei007 View Post
                        You two prefer cutting the damaged portion but not the whole piece. Like shown on the photo?

                        One more question for you guys. How can the cast iron pipe having such long crack on it? Too cold? but should no water stored inside.
                        Having seen the piping there, I'd suggest you get a pro.
                        If the upper cast iron shifts while you work on the lower portion you could damage other drainage/venting as well, get multiple estimates, I'm sure you'll find someone cheap.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Cast Iron pipe replacement

                          Originally posted by Service Guy View Post
                          The water tends to run on one side of the pipe. Every time someone flushes or runs water, the water runs on the same side over and over...erosion.
                          The same way that that horizontal cast-iron (or even copper drains) cracks apart at the bottom after many years.
                          I'm sure you've seen it hundreds of times, the rust usually chases down one side of the CI where the drainage most often runs...one portion in that shape usually signifies the way the rest of the drainage is as well.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Cast Iron pipe replacement

                            Originally posted by DuckButter View Post
                            I'm sure you've seen it hundreds of times, the rust usually chases down one side of the CI where the drainage most often runs...one portion in that shape usually signifies the way the rest of the drainage is as well.
                            Yeah, us service guys may not be the brightest at installing new systems, but we are sure knowledgeable about the intricacies of old plumbing systems.
                            Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Cast Iron pipe replacement

                              Originally posted by DuckButter View Post
                              They're not, I'm assuming he's getting a pro for this.
                              rotflmao
                              This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X