Is this legal?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this legal?

I did a slab leak last week and the tenant called today and said she had very little pressure and very little hot water in her bathroom. Her kitchen sink was fine. I replaced the Moen cartridge in the shower and the hot water pressure was better but not right.

Come to fine out, somebody ran about 100ft of half inch copper off the water heater drain valve that ran around the apt building and supplied hot water to the lav and shower. There was also a small pump(not sure what kind) at the water heater.

I drained the water heater and it's better but it takes to long to get hot water to her apt.

Question is why would somebody do that? Did they figure it would be easier to do that, than dig up the slap in the first place?

Re: Is this legal?

My guess is either the bathroom is a add on or the original pipe in the slab leaked and was abandoned, and that was some one idea of how to fix it on the cheap. First of all coming off the drain would reduce the amount of hot water considerable.

I ran into one like that but with 3/8 galvanized pipe for a supply to the bathroom, but the run was only about 10' out side in the ground, but a least it was plumbed into the hot water heater correctly.
    Last edited by BHD; 03-16-2008, 10:49 PM.
    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
    attributed to Samuel Johnson
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Does the pump direct the flow back to the water heater? Because that would be a recirc line and pump. You really can't get much hot water from the bottom of the tank. It must have been a return line with a pump. If you took it out and it takes longer to get hot water to her unit that would give more support to it being a return line.
      ANYONE CAN TAKE THE HELM WHEN THE SEA IS CALM.

Comment

pictures would help!!! Did you braze your repair or just solder it under the slab? Cause if you're questioning legality...?

Comment

Originally posted by mtnman1100 View Post
          Does the pump direct the flow back to the water heater? Because that would be a recirc line and pump. You really can't get much hot water from the bottom of the tank. It must have been a return line with a pump. If you took it out and it takes longer to get hot water to her unit that would give more support to it being a return line.
          No, there's a shut-off valve right after the pump, when you turn it off, she has no hot water to her shower/lav sink. It makes no sense.

Comment

Originally posted by TomSV650 View Post
            No, there's a shut-off valve right after the pump, when you turn it off, she has no hot water to her shower/lav sink. It makes no sense.

That is a recirculation line, makes perfect since, when you repaired the slab leak, did you re-route or cancel any lines? Or did you just braze on a repair cplg??? leaving everything as you found it??

If you cancelled lines, and then the return line is the only thing that is feeding the fixture. need more info please.
            sigpic

Robert

Comment

Originally posted by westcoastplumber View Post
              That is a recirculation line, makes perfect since, when you repaired the slab leak, did you re-route or cancel any lines? Or did you just braze on a repair cplg??? leaving everything as you found it??

If you cancelled lines, and then the return line is the only thing that is feeding the fixture. need more info please.
              Sorry for not making myself clear, wouldn't be the first time!
              Pro-press is the only thing I use on copper. I just did a spot repair and didn't re-route anything.

I know what a re-circ line is/does. This line I swear, is only for her apt, and only for her shower and lav. This line leaves the bottom of the water-heater and runs along the side of the building to the front of the building to her apt.

I also had my dad and brother come out and they don't understand it either. The only thing I can think of is I missed something but I just don't see what I missed!

Comment

Originally posted by TomSV650 View Post
                Sorry for not making myself clear, wouldn't be the first time!
                Pro-press is the only thing I use on copper. I just did a spot repair and didn't re-route anything.

I know what a re-circ line is/does. This line I swear, is only for her apt, and only for her shower and lav. This line leaves the bottom of the water-heater and runs along the side of the building to the front of the building to her apt.

I also had my dad and brother come out and they don't understand it either. The only thing I can think of is I missed something but I just don't see what I missed!

how did the propress work on the old pitted copper under the slab??

I am interested in what you guy's find out then...if you did a re-route, it would have made perfect since, but since you just repaired the line and did not cap or remove anything.

one other thing, did this happen as soon as you made the repair? the pressure loss?? or has it always been like that?? also, why would they install a pump on a line that is feeding a bathroom?? maybe someone just found a 1/2" hot line and just tied off it, not knowing what it went too??

crazyness. of course the water will be kinda warm, because the dip tube will mix it with cold water, hence the great reason to tie in a recirc line at
                the bottom, to push the warm water in and re-heat it.

Someone did a half azzed re-route I bet.
                sigpic

Robert

Comment

sounds like a good opportunity for correcting a huge mistake/problem. Make sense?

Comment

Working...
                  X