X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shower Pans

I am doing a shower install and want it tiled. I am investigating some of the prefab shower pans. I have heard bad reviews on the Redy Tile but not much on the Dix OneLiner. Here is a link to the install pdf:

http://www.dixsystems.com/images/Onliner_instr.pdf
    Looks to me to be pretty good in terms of proper overlap and water protection while easing some of the "skill intensive" parts of a custom shower install. Was hoping that some pros would weigh in on this product.
    Thanks!

Re: Shower Pans

If you want it tiled, just do yourself a favor and call in a professional.
    Proud To Be Union!!

Comment

If you are wanting to do this yourself you would be better off putting in a acrylic shower base and just tile the walls.
      ________
      Sex Tube
      Last edited by TOPDAWG; 02-24-2011, 05:47 PM.
      Mike

Comment

You really need to support the fiberglass pans as they flex and will loosen the drain up, once the drain gets loose, the drain will leak, causing you an unhappy situation when the tile or surround is up.

I like hot mops the best, I have seen it 30-40 years, no problems, I see fiberglass pans atleast a couple times every 6 months.

Back east they do lead and copper, maybe it's better then hot mops, I am just familier with hot mops.

The link you provided looks pretty cool, as long as the plastic liner and the base holds up. the seal is the most important.
        sigpic

Robert

Comment

We like copper pans and also rubber membrane works quite nicely if properly done.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
            We like copper pans and also rubber membrane works quite nicely if properly done.

the "properly done" is the most important, I have seen that Oatey gray membrane leak like nothing was even there. Very bad idea.

Proper install is the key to most products, then again,e ven if you properly install some stuff, it is just junk either way.
            sigpic

Robert

Comment

You guys forget he's only a Scientist!! if he were a Plumber I would say put in the membrane or a copper liner.
              ________
              STARCRAFT 2 REPLAY
              Last edited by TOPDAWG; 02-24-2011, 05:47 PM.
              Mike

Comment

Originally posted by westcoastplumber View Post
                the "properly done" is the most important, I have seen that Oatey gray membrane leak like nothing was even there. Very bad idea.

Proper install is the key to most products, then again,e ven if you properly install some stuff, it is just junk either way.
                I've seen it leak also, and of course it's tiled over so you can't really see what went wrong without tearing the whole thing up. I suspect the installer cut, lapped and glued the corners instead of folding them up. I also like to have the cement board lie over the membrane so weepage ends up inside it instead of outside. At any rate, like most products, it needs to be installed according to instructions.
                On the other hand I've also seen my share of drains improperly installed in copper pans also. And for those that commented on the fiberglass pans, I agree. Unless they are well bedded they will flex and pull away from the tile job. Besides they look like crap imho.

Who's the scientist .?
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TOPDAWG View Post
                  You guys forget he's only a Scientist!! if he were a Plumber I would say put in the membrane or a copper liner.
                  Ya know, I apologize in advance to fstreichjr....but the worst DIY jobs I see are engineers , scientists & computer programmers.
                  I appreciate those guys and what they do for a living, it takes serious brains.
                  What I think the problem is, it's very easy to underestimate the difficulty of what we do when your job is so complex.

That said....
                  I would suggest getting pro's to do the tile & plumbing if your going with a custom shower.

Comment

I third that notion. A poorly installed shower pan can cause serious damage that will result in more money being spent. Save money by hanging your tile board and setting the finish escutcheon plates for the shower yourself. Maybe being a helper to the pro will reduce cost also.
                    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                      I third that notion. A poorly installed shower pan can cause serious damage that will result in more money being spent. Save money by hanging your tile board and setting the finish escutcheon plates for the shower yourself. Maybe being a helper to the pro will reduce cost also.

Nothing worse then having a helper to a pro....I can't stand it, I charge more for classes and customers who want to stand in my 2' space to see how I am doing it.

I make extra large rotations with my arms and the pipe wrench. You hired me, let me do my job, stay out of my way.....
                      sigpic

Robert

Comment

Originally posted by westcoastplumber View Post
                        Nothing worse then having a helper to a pro....I can't stand it, I charge more for classes and customers who want to stand in my 2' space to see how I am doing it.

I make extra large rotations with my arms and the pipe wrench. You hired me, let me do my job, stay out of my way.....
                        You got that right, If they want to learn how to do the work have them sign up for the hour long Home Depot lesson on Saturday mornings, They will be more than happy to show them how to screw something up.
                        ________
                        DR800S
                        Last edited by TOPDAWG; 02-24-2011, 05:48 PM.
                        Mike

Comment

Working...
                        X