X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Want to switch from copper to pvc

I'm installing a basement bathroom. The current water lines are 3/4"(I think) for cold and 1/2" for hot. The existing lines are copper. I would like to tap into the copper and convert to CPVC. What size should I go with for each? I'm putting in sink, toilet, and shower. Can I go to 1/2" for both?

Thanks

Dennis

Re: Want to switch from copper to pvc

Provided your pressure is ok 1/2" for both should be fine.

Comment

Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by dad004 View Post
        I'm installing a basement bathroom. The current water lines are 3/4"(I think) for cold and 1/2" for hot. The existing lines are copper. I would like to tap into the copper and convert to CPVC. What size should I go with for each? I'm putting in sink, toilet, and shower. Can I go to 1/2" for both?

Thanks

Dennis
        You really should wait and ask Dunbar.

Inside joke, sorry
        sigpic

Comment

What's the benefit of converting current copper piping to pvc?
          Heavy Truck Financing

Comment

Ah ****, here we go again.
            Proud To Be Union!!

Comment

Dunbar..you gonna take that!!!!
              GO GIT 'EM!

Comment

What did I do?

Comment

It wasn't you. It was Miller's question.
                  Proud To Be Union!!

Comment

Originally posted by miller64917 View Post
                    What's the benefit of converting current copper piping to pvc?

NONE

Especially when there is no problems with the current copper piping in the home.

One thing is for sure,

When homebuyers, real estate agents, insurance companies, real estate appraisers see the commingling of numerous or different pipe systems in a home, meaning the existing piping is one type and the add-on work is done in another,

it's frowned upon, it takes away from the original piping *doesn't matter if it is pex/copper/galvanized/cpvc* and lays into a casting doubt that the work is done by a professional or not.

Switching to another product for improvements spells the reasoning of inexperience to follow what's there or following the dreaded cost factor.

If you're going to work in a house piped entirely in CPVC, keep it that way when you add to it.

Same goes for whatever piping goes in there. But when you mix it up, it now becomes the questionable work practice of someone saving a buck and that theory usually proves haunting when **** goes wrong and the last homeowner is long gone, not responsible for that half ***ed glue joint or not tightening a water line connection tight enough.

I swear if some people could get away with it, they'd use garden hose in their home to save a buck. I would know, work for these types on a regular basis.

"It's okay, it's not leaking is it?"
                    Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Listen to the experts and don't make your house look like crap. Have you checked to see if you need a Certificate of Occupancy for that bathroom? Most towns will want the blessing of a licensed plumber and inspector that the work was done to code, things like proper venting of the toilet! Why not hire a pro to rough out the plumbing and save money on installing the fixtures and tiling? Don't cheapen your investment and open yourself up to legal problems to save a few bucks.

Comment

Working...
                      X