X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Attach flushometer to cpvc stub outs

I got sent to a project to fix some plumbing and they have cpvc stubouts. They built this according to prints, gotta love engineers and nobody thought anything about how they were going to make this connection. My idea is to cut open the wall and do it right, any other suggestions?
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Re: Attach flushometer to cpvc stub outs

I'm thinking break open the wall. I can't imagine feeling safe about a Flushometer attached to CPVC. Even if you broke the wall to get the adapter close enough. Can't believe they didn't catch and change that at the rough in.

Comment

You'll have to cut open the wall, there is no way that cpvc would ever hold up in that application
      ________
      Honda cm series specifications
      Last edited by TOPDAWG; 02-24-2011, 05:48 PM.
      Mike

Comment

There has been one time where I've ran cpvc in a building that used a Sloan flush valve.

What we did was bought a 3/4" copper drop ear 90*. (Sorta hard to come by, Somerville has them if I remember correctly.) Solder on a sort piece of 3/4" copper, then sweat on a 3/4" male adapter, and of course use a 3/4" brass female adapter and continue on from there.

The 3/4" drop ear 90* works well cause you can secure it nicely.
        Proud To Be Union!!

Comment

Originally posted by TOPDAWG View Post
          You'll have to cut open the wall, there is no way that cpvc would ever hold up in that application
          Ahhhh no you didn't.

I think I can hear Plastic Head running to this thread right now.
          Proud To Be Union!!

Comment

down here people love there cpvc and pex even in hotels, but there are places and situations were common sense and the i was just trying to save money route doesn't work, when we bid and see that we add for L copper stub outs or like young Aaron suggested { i mean that as a compliment} we also change over in the wall the same way. we run a lot of cpvc as per plans. another place we try to avoid it, is in mech rooms ie manifolding commercial water heaters. everything has its place, but in todays market you still need to cya

Comment

I should clarify some things. CMU block wall, cutting wall is last resort but I'm the plumber and don't really care what happens to the builders. Building is a bathroom for a softball field. 4 toilets and 2 urinals. Another thing, seabees have a 1 year warranty on all work, after that base PW takes over maintance. Should I get in writing that I disagree with the engineer and am being ordered to do the wrong thing to save my butt? Never mind, this is going to happen tomorrow. I can really see some kid flushing the toilet and the flushometer breaks off. Good thing the building is waterproof.
              Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

yes absolutely, we call it an advisory memo that must have two party signatures, ours and the gc than after that the liability shifts and we no longer care. we also try to get a copy to the owner but that can be a delicate matter and often dont pursue it

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                  Should I get in writing that I disagree with the engineer and am being ordered to do the wrong thing to save my butt?
                  Absofreakinglutely, as soon as the first Sloan floods the place, the engineer will be "unable to get to the phone".

Comment

I agree that you can't attach a flushometer to a plastic stubout. That's not even sane. The drop ear ell idea with enough solid pipe to back it up is what I'd do.

Comment

So this is what came down to. I was ordered to do use a transition coupling on the stub out and go to copper so technically the flushometer is being connected to copper, by their(my boss) standards. I felt this was wrong and refused to do this as I felt this is bad workmanship practice. I suggested to build a false wall and run copper to the ceiling but they weren't going for this. I haven't been able to find any literature that says in black and white "you cannot use cpvc to attach a flushometer". My bosses say since I can't find it doesn't mean you can't do this. The kicker is that the engineer has clearly on the prints to use cpvc stub outs. Now my bosses are asking me "so you mean to tell me that you know more than an engineer?" In this case I do. I told my bosses that I'll write a memo stating that I disagree with this idea and my solution to it but am being told to do this the wrong way. I will have their names stating they agree with that statement. When I brought this up; all of the sudden people got much nicer and the sense of urgencies gave way to "let's spend some more time on this and research this throughly." Hope my cilvian dream doesn't get speeded up by this incident but I can sleep good knowing I did the right thing.
                      Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Way to stick to your guns Ben.
                        Proud To Be Union!!

Comment

cpvc is junk. I'd take good pex over it any day.
                          Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                            "so you mean to tell me that you know more than an engineer?"
                            Gimme' a break.
                            For all the times I've mumbled "I'd just love to meet the engineers at this company", as I struggled to install a high end shower valve or faucet.
                            I really think these guys should be required to work in the field with us as a part of an internship.

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron91 View Post
                              Way to stick to your guns Ben.
                              Aaron, make no bones about, I'm going to get in big trouble over what I think is right so be 100% certain before you ever do something even remotely close to what I did.
                              Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Working...
                              X