• Show
Clear All

Re: Sharkbite fittings

O rings rot in no time at all
    http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Comment

Originally posted by All Clear Sewer View Post
      Sharkbites are a mechanical joint and will fail.

I used one on some black polly and I`m waiting on the call at 3:00am to tell me that their house is flooding

i don't believe that poly is a rated sharkbite material?

i hope you kept the plastic inner stiffner installed.

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

Yep and they said it would work too
        http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Comment

This is what SharkBite fittings are listed and approved for:

Instant push-fit connection for increased ease of use. Certified to 200 psi and 200°F (93°C). Fits OD controlled copper, CPVC, or PEX pipe. Body composed of solid DZR brass.

http://www.cashacme.com/prod_sharkbite.php

When you say "they" if you are referring to the guys at the supply house I am fairly certain they will not be sitting with you when you mediate with the Plaintiff.

It's like what that nice Irish boy said "it's not who answers the phone at 3AM but what they do about it".

Mark
          Last edited by ToUtahNow; 03-28-2008, 08:33 PM.
          "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

it might temporally work, but it's not rated for this material. if the material changes due to temperature, i think that will be the issue.

of course the stainless teeth will grip like crazy, it's the o-ring that will drip.

there are mechanical fittings used all the time on hdpe/ poly gas systems. similar to a sharkbite design. these are rated for the poly gas pipe.

i would never take the chance on a fitting that is not designed/ rated for the product.

hope fully it's only a temporary fix for the night.

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

And since we have no faith in "O" rings, how bout them pro press fittings.?
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                And since we have no faith in "O" rings, how bout them pro press fittings.?
                i've been using them for 3-4 years. so far, so good.

they've been in europe for over 20 years now.

the o-ring is crimped so tight, that there is very little exposed to the water.

look how long victaulic has been around.

a 4'' crimp in 5 seconds beats a 20 minute prep and solder job. and that's assuming there is no water dripping while you're working.

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

[quote=PLUMBER RICK;132056]i've been using them for 3-4 years. so far, so good.

they've been in europe for over 20 years now.

the o-ring is crimped so tight, that there is very little exposed to the water.

look how long victaulic has been around.

a 4'' crimp in 5 seconds beats a 20 minute prep and solder job. and that's assuming there is no water dripping while you're working.

Very good. I somtimes wonder why as plumbers we generally feel that the products we install should last forever. It's a noble thought indeed, but when you think about it, not too many products have an infinant life span.
                  sigpic

Comment

next time you're at a supply house that carries propress fittings/ viega, compare a 90 to a solder 90.

the propress is a long radius and type k+

the copper/ solder is a tight turn and looks like type m. especially on 1/2'' -1''

return lines / and pumps are where all the pin holes tend to show up.

all my installations are easily traced on my computer and i've yet to have to fix one. of course it's only been a few years, so time will tell.

but i can tell you, in buildings that were constantly having 3/4'' return issues. the pin holes are gone for now.

in rare cases, i've installed a sharkbite 90 and coupling for a repair. all ok.

rick.
                    phoebe it is

Comment

As much as i hat to admit it i have use alot of sharkbite fittings over the past couple of years. I luckily, have had very few if any problems. I am now researching getting a propress as i feel that it is a much better joint. Actually, there is really no comparison. I have gone behind other plumbers and had to fix SB fittings, but only because the joint was stressed. There can be no stress on the joint at all. Several other manufacturers have tried to create a SB ie. elkhart, jones stephens, watts, etc. To me the quality is not there. Cash Acme is better. As rick mentioned pressing is not new technology, niether is push fit connectors. They have been used in the automotve industry for alot of years.

Comment

SharkBite actually isn't as new as everyone seems to think. Although it has only been around in the United States for around 5 years, it has been in Australia for around 12 years. So far there have been no problems. Make sure you deburr the ends of the pipes, insert all the way, and leave in tube liners for PEX use and everything should work perfectly. Cash Acme also manufactures red, white, and blue PEX. It is certified for use with PEX, CPVC, and Copper, potable water and hydronics systems, and it is approved for use underground and behind walls without access panels. And think of it this way, what do you have to lose? As long as it is installed correctly, SharkBite has a 25 year warranty.

Comment

What does the warranty cover, just the cost of the sharkbite?
                          Does it cover the replacement of ruined flooring, cabinets, or mold removal?
                          INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
                          Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

If there is an actual defect of the SharkBite, not an installation mistake, Cash Acme will cover the damage that was caused (not just the fitting). Out of the millions sold, there have been a very few handful of fittings with actual defects. The most common cause for leaks is a damaged o-ring, which is caused by not deburring the pipe. If it is going to leak, it will leak immediately, not in 6 months.

Comment

Right or wrong I see these products as yet another way for the diy'er to get around having to hire a professional to do the job right. The fact that we licensed plumbers let the manufacturers, code review boards and plumbing boards accept this crap pisses me off more than words can describe. We are rapidly putting ourselves out of business as more and more of this CRAP inundates the market. I will not be bought off by some marketing shill, whatever the so called facts are. Personally I don't give a crap if shark bites are the greatest thing since sliced bread. I don't care if they have a zero failure rate. What I do care about is the health and safety of the nation. And this junk just makes it that much easier for Joe Hack to whack into his water system and cross connect something. Any plumber using this crap for anything other than a temporary repair or testing should give serious consideration as to his career choice. Perhaps flipping burgers would have made more sense.

And for you Lauren, If you are involved with this trash, thanks for doing your part to degrade the profession at the chance to stuff a few bucks into your pocket. There in lies the problem with the industry today.
                              sigpic

Comment

An after thought. Betcha $20.00 that these F-ing things are also being market as "green" cause you don't put carbon in the air using the torch

Every newborn child should be issued a 55 gallon drum of Vasalene to help ease it's way into this world of shysters.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X