X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Sharkbite fittings

there are many grades and qualities of rubber and rubber type products, If they are using a quality rubber, the fitting should last nearly indefintely, but if they cut the quality it may only be a few year situation.
    It is not that a O ring is used or not, it is the quality of the O ring that matters. They use O rings in High pressure hydraulic oil fittings a lot, and most oils are not kind to rubber products, and they are lasting for many many years, under harsh conditions, much more than what would be normally found in a residential water system. I have O ring hydraulic fittings on all of the tractors and combine that are original and the oldes tractor is a 1970 tractor, and have never leaked with nearly 10,000 hrs of 1900 psi of hydraulic pressures on them with heat ranges of 250+F to -40F,
    (and when it comes to leaks on oil hydraulics, I have less leaks with O ring fittings than with any other type, JIC, IPT, solder, brazed, actually I have had more failures on steel Hydraulic tubing than I have had with the O rings, I have only had one leakage on a O ring fitting that I remember, and that is with over of 30,000 hrs of running time on the the various machinery, and most is over 30 years old.

granted much of the products that are being currently sold are made with very poor rubber compounds, Tires and valve stems are hideous in comparison to jsut a few years ago, and yes rubber compounds are suspect until proven other wise, I do understand.

If they chose the correct compound the units should be nearly life time in most instances,

but there is not hardly a fitting that has not failed in some way or another, I have had pipe fittings crack and split, solder and brazed fittings have failed in vibration situations,
    brass flare fittings have split, (many years ago, had one on a propane line on this house that was installed by a professional when the origional gas furnace was installed, it filled the crawl space of the house full of propane), I have seen many of the fittings on tubing fail, even welded fittings have failed, (yes most all the failures are do to some error or flaw, but there there and they fail),
    how many copper pipes spring pin holes?

but say there bad jsut because there is a O ring in them is not a Fair statment,

But If it is mechanical it will fail in time true jsut as everthing else does.
    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
    attributed to Samuel Johnson
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

new to the forum...just my thought on them...never used one...if its copper pipe just solder it together and be done...

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
        This is what SharkBite fittings are listed and approved for:

Instant push-fit connection for increased ease of use. Certified to 200 psi and 200°F (93°C). Fits OD controlled copper, CPVC, or PEX pipe. Body composed of solid DZR brass.

http://www.cashacme.com/prod_sharkbite.php

When you say "they" if you are referring to the guys at the supply house I am fairly certain they will not be sitting with you when you mediate with the Plaintiff.

It's like what that nice Irish boy said "it's not who answers the phone at 3AM but what they do about it".

Mark

I'm currently working a remodel and had a very hard time with a couple of 3/4" sharkbites ( I went through 2 of them and 15 minutes of pipe end prep just in case I was splitting rings until I decided they would not work) the problem IMO was they could not take the pressure 100 PSI, the things would not stop weeping...

These jems are IMO temp use only!

I have been in my supply house on more then one occasion and seen the counter guy sell them to joe homeowner for PB Pipe repairs

Okie

Comment

Its amazing how fast people are to bash certain things that are different then what they are used to. I look at it this way:

Sharkbite = Rubber Seal

ProPress = Rubber Seal

So why do people bash the sharkbite and praise the Propress???

Both of these products are innovations in their own respect. Both products have applications they accel at and ones where they are not the number 1 solution.

In my eyes, these fittings and DIYers are not causing some sort of massive tremor in the Plumbing industry. There are plenty of guys that had jobs years ago that probably preached that computers and robots could never do their job, yet 30 years later there isn't a single person working on that line.

The real reason that has driven the DIY market in all aspects is probably the high cost of labor, which in turn, is due to the high cost of health care, high cost of liability Insurance, etc. Due to that, the average joe can't afford to have joe the plumber come over a splice in a fitting, or fix a leak, so they do it themselves.

I started woodworking 15 years ago, and back then, when I saw intricate carvings, I used to say to myself "There is something that a true craftsman produced, and no machine can do that". 15 years later, and several trips the IWF shows, I now no longer think that. Innovations change industry, like it or not, you either change and adapt to accept these things, or get left behind. Quality will always stand out, but people will always be able to choose a lower priced product if they desire.

I'm sure some sharkbite fittings will fail, as will some copper, some brass, Burham V8 boiler blocks, etc. Everything fails sooner or later. Many a plumbers have installed millions of globe shutoffs, and they all leak or will all leak at some time, I don't bash plumbers for doing it, they did what they did to get the job done with the budget they had.

I'm the type of guy who appriciates quality and will always spend a little more and work a little harder to get the top notch result. Some people will think I'm crazy, and others will apprciate the work and results as much as I do. I don't worry much about the ones that don't see the value in it. A sharkbite will probably never have a place in my house, but if the situation arose where the product fit, I don't think I would loose any sleep over using one.

Comment

My main issue with Sharkbite is the COST !!! I could not believe my eyes when I saw a Sharkbite 1" ballvalve at a cost of $42 at Home Depot in Toronto!!!! I could not believe it. The sweat-on 1" ballvalve was $15. I'm going with sweat-on -END OF DISCUSSION for me!

Comment

Originally posted by Chemeng View Post
              My main issue with Sharkbite is the COST !!! I could not believe my eyes when I saw a Sharkbite 1" ballvalve at a cost of $42 at Home Depot in Toronto!!!! I could not believe it. The sweat-on 1" ballvalve was $15. I'm going with sweat-on -END OF DISCUSSION for me!

Yes, but what do you do when there is water in the line, or your right next to flammable materials, etc.

Sharkbites weren't designed to be cheaper. Propress fittings are more expensive then sweat fittings, but in the right situation, the time difference will more than pay for the extra material expense.

Comment

There may be certain rare situations as you point out that require you to use Sharkbite (I have not encountered them, I have always been able to sweat a joint... but I am not a plumber). My belief is that homeowners are buying Sharkbite because they have no idea how to use a torch much less sweat a joint.

Comment

Plumbers Protect the Health and Safety of the Nation.

That one sentence sums up the reason for licensing and permitting of plumbing installation, modification, design and repair.

Products like Shark-bites allow uneducated people to cut into, modify and re-design water distribution systems with relative ease. This in turn can lead to cross-connection, backflow issues and has the potential to do great harm to the house hold as well as the neighboring water supply. Shark bites should not be sold to unlicensed people. for that matter, plumbing materials in general should not be sold to unlicensed people.
                  sigpic

Comment

I occasionally use sharkbites - for example, when it's too dangerous to solder. I did a repair in the ceiling of a home a couple of weeks ago and there was no way I was going to try to use a torch in that enclosed area. The repair went great.

If I can't stop water dripping in a crawl space, a sharkbite is the way to go.

Tips:

ALWAYS chamfer the ends of the pipe with the Sharkbite tool.
                    ALWAYS mark the pipe for depth using the sharkbite tool.
                    ALWAYS use the insert on plastic pipe, pull it out for copper.
                    DO NOT use sharkbites on pipe like polybutylene because the insert will not keep it from being shrunk.

If I had a problem or a call back with them, I'd quit using them.

By the way, you could consider this just another DIY item, but there are a lot of products that we use that are in that category, and obviously, they still take some rudimentary skill to use. DIYs can screw up anything.

Comment

I said it before and I'll say it again, sharkbites have their place in the service plumber's arsenal.

Comment

Originally posted by Lauren Clark View Post
                        If there is an actual defect of the SharkBite, not an installation mistake, Cash Acme will cover the damage that was caused (not just the fitting). Out of the millions sold, there have been a very few handful of fittings with actual defects. The most common cause for leaks is a damaged o-ring, which is caused by not deburring the pipe. If it is going to leak, it will leak immediately, not in 6 months.

I'm gonna raise the Bull$hit flag on this one.... Please show me that Cash Acme will cover secondary damage in writting. I believe they will cover secondary damage after the judge says so and the appeals process is worked through no sooner.

Okie

Comment

Originally posted by OkieBill View Post
                          I'm gonna raise the Bull$hit flag on this one.... Please show me that Cash Acme will cover secondary damage in writting. I believe they will cover secondary damage after the judge says so and the appeals process is worked through no sooner.

Okie
                          Actually if you read the warranty PDF on the cash acme sharkbite page, it reads like they will pay for the labor and material. but you have to get preapproval from cash acme before doing the repair. But under section H they say they are responsible for no other damage to other materials. Basically they'll buy you a new sharkbite, and pay you to install it.
                          No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Originally posted by MoJourneyman View Post
                            Actually if you read the warranty PDF on the cash acme sharkbite page, it reads like they will pay for the labor and material. but you have to get preapproval from cash acme before doing the repair. But under section H they say they are responsible for no other damage to other materials. Basically they'll buy you a new sharkbite, and pay you to install it.

Good luck getting a warranty on just about anything. They create those loop holes for a reason.

Just like the trusses I had delivered to build my home:"Warranty will be void if trusses are stored on their side". Yet when they are delivered they are placed, by the driver, on their side.

My brothers boiler cracked. I was checking out the warranty fine print.
                            'boiler must be cleaned and maintained at least 2 times a year'.
                            Yeah right! Who in this world does that?
                            INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
                            Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

A soldered joint is superior. A professional using a Sharkbite type fitting is making a conscious decision to put in an inferior joint.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                                A soldered joint is superior. A professional using a Sharkbite type fitting is making a conscious decision to put in an inferior joint.

J.C.
                                Should we say the same thing for the Propress as well???

I still want a propress and I keep (2) 1/2" and (2) 3/4" sharkbites on the truck
                                Last edited by OkieBill; 01-03-2009, 11:25 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X