Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Sharkbite fittings

Originally posted by Gene Bickford View Post
    My brothers boiler cracked. I was checking out the warranty fine print.
    'boiler must be cleaned and maintained at least 2 times a year'.
    Yeah right! Who in this world does that?
    Umm...I do

I even put a coat of automotive wax on her a few weeks ago. Sometimes, I pull up a chair just to listen to her purr

I'm a sick sick man

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
      Umm...I do

I even put a coat of automotive wax on her a few weeks ago. Sometimes, I pull up a chair just to listen to her purr

I'm a sick sick man
      I used to work on an aerobic digestor heater ( poo heater) and would do the same thing

Comment

Originally posted by OkieBill View Post
        Should we say the same thing for the Propress as well???

I still want a propress and I keep (2) 1/2" and (2) 3/4" sharkbites on the truck
        Absolutely.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
          Plumbers Protect the Health and Safety of the Nation.

That one sentence sums up the reason for licensing and permitting of plumbing installation, modification, design and repair.

Products like Shark-bites allow uneducated people to cut into, modify and re-design water distribution systems with relative ease. This in turn can lead to cross-connection, backflow issues and has the potential to do great harm to the house hold as well as the neighboring water supply. Shark bites should not be sold to unlicensed people. for that matter, plumbing materials in general should not be sold to unlicensed people.

Under this concept we shouldn't sell food to people who aren't chefs, motor oil to non-mechanics, or any auto parts for that matter. How about computers??? Do you call a pro to install software, RAM?? Plenty of DIY's get the work they do inspected and approved, so to say they should't be able to purchase pipe and plumbing materials is down right rediculous.

I built a hockey net out of PVC pipe for my son, guess in your world I would need a permit for that too.

I'll agree with you that certain tasks are best left to pro's, but I don't think sharkbite falls into that catagory. CSST, yes, but I have seen pleny of Pro installs of this material that looked like they were DIY jobs.

Comment

I wonder if somewhere out there, a nut has replumbed his whole house using nothing but Sharkbite fittings? I bet there has been!
            Has anyone seen a whole house plumbed with Sharkbite??????

Comment

Ah yes, all the usual arguments. Anyway, next time you need your teeth worked on or minor surgery give me a call. I should be finished reading the DIY manuals by then.

Is this close enough?
              Attached Files
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                Ah yes, all the usual arguments. Anyway, next time you need your teeth worked on or minor surgery give me a call. I should be finished reading the DIY manuals by then.

Is this close enough?

You can twist any statement to meet your needs. Maybe you should try politics instead of plumbing.

My only point is that over regulation will destroy inovation and any area. A statement like "you should need to be a licensed plumber to buy a peice of pipe" is just plain rediculous.

Sharkbite is a viable product for a small marketplace and in the end, economics will determine their future. With 34 years of experience, I'm sure you soldered some water supply lines with 50/50 before it was illegal. So much for protecting the health of the nation...........

Comment

You are barking up the wrong tree and have no clue as to what you are talking about. No clue as to the history of sanitation and no clue as to the health hazards caused by improper plumbing. You are just a diy'er that thinks he has a god given right to do anything he wants without paying the price which in this case would be an education.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by tccoggs View Post
                    Under this concept we shouldn't sell food to people who aren't chefs, motor oil to non-mechanics, or any auto parts for that matter. How about computers??? Do you call a pro to install software, RAM?? Plenty of DIY's get the work they do inspected and approved, so to say they should't be able to purchase pipe and plumbing materials is down right rediculous.

I built a hockey net out of PVC pipe for my son, guess in your world I would need a permit for that too.

I'll agree with you that certain tasks are best left to pro's, but I don't think sharkbite falls into that catagory. CSST, yes, but I have seen pleny of Pro installs of this material that looked like they were DIY jobs.
                    Semantics will get you nowhere around these parts Sir....

The difference in your listed exmples and what NHmaster is refering to is the fact that a DIY'er with access to these materials has the ability to not only hurt himself but to hurt others possibly on a very large scale (look up backflow accidents / cross connection accidents or even SARS in Hong Kong though I'm sure you know all about this already)...

I see so much bad and dangerous work on a daily basis , I agree that maybe limiting access to the materials would prevent some of it.

Please elaborate on exactly what you should have the right to do and what tasks should be "left to the Pro's"? Please keep in mind that not everyone will have your vast plumbing experience so how do you make sure it will be done safely?

Why is it that people believe that since they have seen what they consider DIY looking jobs by pros that they are justified to do what they want???

The "You can do it we can help" age of instant gratification strikes again...

Electrical Engineer Really? PE or just a switch installer ( no insult intended but your title is doubtfull based on your opinion as a purported professional of a trade)

Last edited by OkieBill; 01-05-2009, 10:03 AM.

Comment

I didn't catch which specific Sharkbite fittings you found, but most of them (not all) work 100% with Pex - especially because it IS so smooth. The comment about raw edges is right on, because if the "O" ring is damaged, the fitting is toast. The ONE fitting that I am aware of that is NOT compatible with PEX is the "slip coupling" - roughly 3" long, and a great fix for frost burst copper pipes, but probably because it lacks the plastic insert on one side, it clearly says on the package "for use with copper only". I have sold literally hundreds of these fittings over the past year or so, and have had only ONE negative - and that seems to be a really badly stressed joint - and user.

Cheers

Henkfish

Comment

Come on, guys:

There are lots of places in both our countries where good plumbers are very scarce - especially where I live in "Cottage country", where frozen = burst copper pipes are a fact of life. These fittings are indeed not a "proper" substitute for a good soldered fitting, but hey, for the "weekend warrior" they are an affordable fix for an otherwise dangerous situation (like do you really know how to solder without burning the place down?) And yes, I have one customer ( an engineer no less) who plumbed his whole place with PEX and SharkBite - very happy - so far. Also, if you have to transition from copper to PEX (because the copper corroded and leaks), it's a very good alternative.

So, yes, there will never not be a need for a good plumber - but who do you call on a weekend in the middle of nowhere?

As always, on the lookout for a better solution to the tribulations of life.

Henkfish

Comment

Originally posted by henkfish View Post
                          Come on, guys:

There are lots of places in both our countries where good plumbers are very scarce - especially where I live in "Cottage country", where frozen = burst copper pipes are a fact of life. These fittings are indeed not a "proper" substitute for a good soldered fitting, but hey, for the "weekend warrior" they are an affordable fix for an otherwise dangerous situation (like do you really know how to solder without burning the place down?) And yes, I have one customer ( an engineer no less) who plumbed his whole place with PEX and SharkBite - very happy - so far. Also, if you have to transition from copper to PEX (because the copper corroded and leaks), it's a very good alternative.

So, yes, there will never not be a need for a good plumber - but who do you call on a weekend in the middle of nowhere?

As always, on the lookout for a better solution to the tribulations of life.

Henkfish
                          The homeowner who repipes his own home with any material is rare. Those type of people were never my customer and never will be.

I went to a HD 2 years ago for the first time in 10 years. I felt like I was in a competitor's shop. I looked around while trying to translate the Spanish announcements.

I literally ran out of there. If the Christian devil exists, his home is in Home Depot.
                          Last edited by Drip Trip; 09-30-2009, 11:16 PM.
                          (The Low Spark of Steel-Toed Boys)

Comment

Working...
                          X