X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sharkbite fittings

Ok, i dont install any of these, but i do have a question about them. I do all the drain work for the local little league.

Got a call today for water leaking from the toilet. So i check it out, flush the toilet acouple times. Its not the toilet. Turn the sink on and both shut offs are off. Turn both shut offs back on and i found the leak.

The leak was coming from a 2ft section of pex that had 2 sharkbite fittings at both ends of it that were fitted to copper on the other ends of the sharkbites. I dont know to much about Pex or the sharkbites, i have seen the sharkbites before but never on Pex line. Are the sharkbites made to fit over the Pex??? The line was leaking where the plastic fitting on the sharkbite connected to the Pex line. It was leaking from both connections on both ends of the Pex. It wasnt leaking where the sharkbites connected to the copper.

Just looking for some input.
    The History of Sanitary Sewers Good site on the history of sanitary sewers and cleaners

www.thedrainsquad.net Our website

Re: Sharkbite fittings

I have recently used pex/sharkbite combination on a TEMPORARY kitchen sink relocation on a whole house remodel where the Owner + family 4 all together stayed in the house during construction, and I had 0 problems in a 6 month or so timespan. Here's my take on Sharkbite+pex.

1 there is an insert that slips inside of the pex before the sharkbite can slide over the pex
    2 the pex needs to be fully inserted or it will leak
    3. the inserts do not need to be on there for copper, but then again there are far better ways of joining copper.

Overall I would say that the sharkbites are excellent for temporary. I use them for quick cap off's during remodels and I use them on stub outs. No leaks on anything that I have used the sharkbites on, except for 1 Sharkbite on pex that fooled me into thinking that it was fully inserted when it wasn't.

Greg
    Last edited by glkearns; 03-24-2008, 11:56 PM. Reason: more detail

Comment

Ya ive seen that plastic insert in them. I just wasnt sure if you could use the fittings on Pex because of the outside of the Pex being maybe smoother?
      The History of Sanitary Sewers Good site on the history of sanitary sewers and cleaners

Comment

greg medic as the other greg mentioned. there is a plastic insert for pex tubing. all the sharkbites come with them installed on both sides.

i would probably cut off the pex to make a fresh connection and install 2 new pex couplings.

or of course you can solder a mip on the copper and go directly with a stainless water flex to the fixture.

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
          greg medic as the other greg mentioned. there is a plastic insert for pex tubing. all the sharkbites come with them installed on both sides.

i would probably cut off the pex to make a fresh connection and install 2 new pex couplings.

or of course you can solder a mip on the copper and go directly with a stainless water flex to the fixture.

rick.

Ya thats what i really couldnt understand was that it was in a wide open area, why not just cut and solder 2 couplings and copper instead of the Pex and sharkbites? Time and money maybe??? Again i dont use the stuff, im framiliar with it, ive seen the plastic inserts inside, just wasnt sure if you could use it on Pex or not.

Comment

Pex, copper, CPVC and wirsbo in any combination, right Rick?
            ANYONE CAN TAKE THE HELM WHEN THE SEA IS CALM.

Comment

Originally posted by mtnman1100 View Post
              Pex, copper, CPVC and wirsbo in any combination, right Rick?

Good to know, thanks for the info guys.

Comment

Here's a problem you can run into with sharkbites. If you don't chamfer the pipe ends the sharp edge can and will cut the o ring in the sharkbite
                sigpic

Comment

as with anything new time will tell just what kind of legacy these little jems will leave. as said before insertion and taking care not to damage o ring very important and yes use insert. down south 99.8% of water line repairs we do our under houses and a lot of the crawl spaces are neither cozy or roomy and occasionally you run into friends ie black widows copper heads rattlesnake, and we have a hi rate of copper failure as well so a quick fix can sometimes make for happy plumbers. but as for in house use iam still very very weary.

Comment

I would just cut and solder. It will be slower, but it will last longer the sticking 2 sharkbites back in there.

Rehau pex is the best pex in my mind, but the tools are expensive, not sure if you are set up to do it.

they have a 25 year warranty, take them back and get 2 new ones.
                    sigpic

Robert

Comment

Sharkbites are a mechanical joint and will fail.

I used one on some black polly and I`m waiting on the call at 3:00am to tell me that their house is flooding
                      http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Comment

Originally posted by All Clear Sewer View Post
                        Sharkbites are a mechanical joint and will fail.

I used one on some black polly and I`m waiting on the call at 3:00am to tell me that their house is flooding
                        Now you sound like a presidential candidate. The only problem with your conclusion is much of the critical industrial lines are plumbed with similar joints. Like everything else only time will tell how they perform.

Mark
                        "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

We have a project installing storm drainage lines and there's a lot of unexpected utility lines we're hitting. Electrical, water, sewer, fiber optic(that wasn't cheap), everything. Anyway, some of the water lines have been repaired before with a slip compression coupling that have been leak free since the 1980's. These aren't small 1/2" lines, they're 1-2" and some are under gravel roads, no leaks. If these can last 20+ years , I can't see why a sharkbite can't.
                          Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

rubber O ring
                            http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Comment

Slip compression coupling- nothing but rubber and friction keeping it together. At least a sharkbite uses ss teeth to hold it together.
                              Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Working...
                              X