Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
    The trap should be under the disposal not the basket strainer
    why should it be under the disposal?
    Mike
    Clark County Plumbing And Drain
    www.plumbinginclarkcounty.com

Comment

Re: Gurgling kitchen sink

1 plumber in 50 miles im moving to nebraska. we have more plumbers than a$$ holes in my neck of the woods
      Mike

Comment

We have some carpenters who "are" plumbers and maintenance people at our packing plant who "are" also but only one plumbing business. You can drive south for 54 miles before you hit a town, go north 125 miles to Rapid City,SD [2 small reservation towns in between],go west 50 miles to Chadron,Ne. or east 92 miles to Valentine,Ne. A dying part of Nebraska and we are struggling to save our hospital and will probably fail. If you get sick its a flight for life to Rapid City, I have had 2 heart attacks so I know the drill,ha.

Comment

Originally posted by quickshot View Post
          We have some carpenters who "are" plumbers and maintenance people at our packing plant who "are" also but only one plumbing business. You can drive south for 54 miles before you hit a town, go north 125 miles to Rapid City,SD [2 small reservation towns in between],go west 50 miles to Chadron,Ne. or east 92 miles to Valentine,Ne. A dying part of Nebraska and we are struggling to save our hospital and will probably fail. If you get sick its a flight for life to Rapid City, I have had 2 heart attacks so I know the drill,ha.
          thats insane one of the internet sites i advertise on has 133 plumbing companies in a 50 mile radius
          Mike

Comment

Originally posted by haycad View Post
            1 plumber in 50 miles im moving to nebraska. we have more plumbers than a$$ holes in my neck of the woods

same here.
            sigpic

Robert

Comment

You might not have any competition but since our only doctor is leaving in August the hospital is offering $20,000 to anyone furnishing a lead for a doctor that ends in a contract, so we are short on health care also. Maybe a doctor that moonlights as a plumber, any leads?

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                have you tried snaking the line?

if the line is clear, i would remove the studor vent and try running the water again. if all is ok, it's the studor vent that is not allowing enough air in to vent.

also i never use tube traps on a kitchen sink. plus the waste lines should be on a 2'' line with a 1.5'' trap.

rick.
                This guy is good...
                take off the vent and try the drain. If the drain is fine replace the vent and don't forget to remove the rubber band that comes on the new aav. If water comes up out of your vent pipe with the vent removed, snake the line and scourjet it to clean the inside of the pipe, and reset the vent.
                ANYONE CAN TAKE THE HELM WHEN THE SEA IS CALM.

Comment

I finally got time to try and tackle this problem myself and hope it looks OK. It drains fine now, we had a snow storm the last two days so I had time on my hands. I put in a 1 1/2" P trap and a 2" line over to the 3" line, installed a Studou mini vent in the sink cabinet and at the tee. Let me know if things do not look OK. Thanks for all the help. In the photo of the attaching to the 3" line you can see the line I capped off that was the the line I replaced.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by quickshot View Post
                    I finally got time to try and tackle this problem myself and hope it looks OK. It drains fine now, we had a snow storm the last two days so I had time on my hands. I put in a 1 1/2" P trap and a 2" line over to the 3" line, installed a Studou mini vent in the sink cabinet and at the tee. Let me know if things do not look OK. Thanks for all the help. In the photo of the attaching to the 3" line you can see the line I capped off that was the the line I replaced.
                    first pic-change the wye 1/8 combo to a sanitary tee.
                    2nd pic-you can't have the capped piece of pipe there according to IPC. You could get around that by using a cleanout there instead of a cap. Will it realsitically cause a problem? Doubt it but something to keep in mind.
                    -Take off that fernco tee. rats love them. Look in the pictures under my name and you'll see what rats can do to them.
                    -What is that hexagonal fitting in the upper left corner that pokes under the joists? Is that a maxi vent?

Really appreciate the feedback from you. Thanks, and what's the population of your town?
                    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                      2nd pic-you can't have the capped piece of pipe there according to IPC. You could get around that by using a cleanout there instead of a cap. Will it realsitically cause a problem? Doubt it but something to keep in mind.
                      -Take off that fernco tee. rats love them. Look in the pictures under my name and you'll see what rats can do to them.
                      -What is that hexagonal fitting in the upper left corner that pokes under the joists? Is that a maxi vent?

Really appreciate the feedback from you. Thanks, and what's the population of your town?
                      Will change the cap to a clean out on the old line-the hexagon is a cover for the mini studor vent and the population is around 1700-no rats or mice that I know of-why the sanitary tee instead of the wye? just curious as I am trying to do it right. Thanks

Comment

Will change the cap to a clean out on the old line-the hexagon is a cover for the mini studor vent and the population is around 1700-no rats or mice that I know of-why the sanitary tee instead of the wye? just curious as I am trying to do it right. Thanks

Comment

At a loss of how to explain it better, basically the san tee allows the air from the vent to work better. Maybe someone with a better gift of gab can explain it so it makes sense.
                          Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

At a loss of how to explain it better, basically the san tee allows the air from the vent to work better. Maybe someone with a better gift of gab can explain it so it makes sense.
                            Thanks for the reply and I was thinking of the other way around just looking at them so my bad, I will change out when I can. Thanks again.

Comment

I'm going to give this a shot, sort of from the beginning.

My first question is:

is there a vent on the closet line? I know about the Studor vent on the kitchen sink, but that's not sufficient. I'm thinking that capped line is what was intended to head to a closet vent.

If there is no place on the line for pressure to escape, then water running into the line will displace air, which will then come back up through the sink, which explains your dilemma.

Here, our code requires a 1-1/2" trap arm, but then when it goes vertical it must be 2".

I'm thinking that if you had a vent through the roof on the closet, you might not have the gurgling problem. Of course you don't have it when you take the Studor off because you let the trapped air out.

And when you run the Drain King bladder in the pipe, it has a smallish nozzle on the front of it that will not allow full flow. Once you've blasted through a clog, the Drain King no longer is of much use. Now try a full blast from a hose.

Comment

1: There is a vent thru the roof, a 3" right up from the line that I installed the tee in. The 1 1/2" capped line had just ran to the sink and I replaced it with a 2" line that hooks up to the 1 1/2" P trap--I could not put it as high as the 1 1/2" was because I discovered it had been installed almost level and there was no room to drop at that location.
                                2: You are correct on the Drain King nozzle- I ran it and every thing appeared OK but when I removed the 1 1/2" line it was almost plugged. The 2" line that I installed has a good drop. Everything is OK now, I hope. I will but a clean out in the capped position. Thanks

Comment

Working...
                                X