X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gurgling kitchen sink

I have a dual kitchen sink with a disposal on the right hand side and is plumbed as in the included picture, there is a diverter tee in which the disposal dumps in. When water is run into either sink it gurgles in the other sink. If a sink of water is in the right hand sink [disposer side and the disposal is ran the water comes up in the left hand sink and is a sink full of water is released from the left hand sink it comes up in the right hand one. All fittings are new and there is a studor vent [ do not think it is a Studor but a mechanical vent] in the tee in the rear. Should a different fitting have been used instead of the tee? Below the tee attached to the 18" pc of 2" is a elbow and then it runs 15' and taps into the 4" main line. Any help appreciated.

quickshot

Re: Gurgling kitchen sink

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing
    That is not an "approved" mechanical vent. Replace it with the expensive one.
    And it will probably still gurgle.
    sigpic

Comment

The trap should be under the disposal not the basket strainer

Comment

I HAD this done by our local plumber who is in the Vet's hospital right now with cancer, I would have went back to him if I could of. In our town in NW Nebraska we had only the one plumber, the closest one now is 50 miles. I am sorry I asked but thought this was ask the experts for advice.

Comment

couple of questions?

is this a new installation?

has it been gurgling since it was first installed?

have you tried snaking the line?

if the line is clear, i would remove the studor vent and try running the water again. if all is ok, it's the studor vent that is not allowing enough air in to vent.

also i never use tube traps on a kitchen sink. plus the waste lines should be on a 2'' line with a 1.5'' trap.

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
            couple of questions?

is this a new installation?
            Yes and no--I moved my house into town in 1971 and it had no plumbing or electricity--I had some plumbers who were doing our new Hospital addition at the time plumb the house for me on there time off-originally the drain was the same from the sink to the back of the cabinet-you can see in the picture attached that a line is capped, that was the original drain running horz for 6',an 90° ell and running horz for 15' into a line coming from my washer and bathtub-that line plugged up this year and I had a plumber in and he could not clear the line and ran a new one the way you see it now. It had always gurgled in my bathtub but never in the sinks.
            has it been gurgling since it was first installed?
            Yes
            have you tried snaking the line?
            I did and it is clear, I did check the size and it is a 1 1/2" drain line and connects to a 4"x4"x1 1/2" Tee-going into it with a 1 1/2" 90° ell
            if the line is clear, i would remove the studor vent and try running the water again. if all is ok, it's the studor vent that is not allowing enough air in to vent.
            Will this allow water to gush out of the line where the vent was?
            also i never use tube traps on a kitchen sink. plus the waste lines should be on a 2'' line with a 1.5'' trap.
            So I should replace the 1 1/2" line with a 2" line and the 1 1/4" trap with a 1 1/2" trap-- what about a wye and a 45° where the tee is now? And the 1 1/2" fitting where it connects to the 4" line??
            rick.
            I drive the veterans handi-bus on a volunteer basis twice a month and take patients to Hot Springs Vet. Hosp. which is 90 miles away or Ft. Meade which is 180 miles and will be doing this soon so I will try and bring this up if I see my plumber but hated to harass him at this time and would rather just let it go. We can live with it but just annoying. I done all the work on my house except the plumbing and I have had a lot of problems form the get go.

Comment

Just thought I would include [I hope this is not a no no] of the house when I moved it in and what it is like now. I did everything except the plumbing and the acre lot I have was weeds.

Comment

i would still try to remove the studor vent and see how it drains.

could be an air lock, sort of like the old days with an oil can. it took 2 holes to properly pour. 1 hole will cause it to spurt

hopefully i don't need to explain to the young guys that oil use to come in a cardboard quart with a metal top and bottom

i still have some vintage cans at the shop

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

I will try that tomorrow as it is late for me now. I have some glass oil dispensers with a screw on top and some solid metal cans in the shop and remember the oil spout that you pushed in the top to pour with. My brother had a Mobil Oil station and my father-in-law was a Mobil Oil bulk distributor. Thanks for your replies and I will post tomorrow evening on what happens. Thanks again.

quickshot

Comment

The line sounds like it is stopped up past the santee. this would cause the other side to fill up. I see it all the time on k/s stoppages.

The set up you have is fine, it will drain, I agree, it is not how I would have done it, but it will work. 2" verticle would have been great, and is required UPC here.

I see tube traps on kitchen sinks all the time, They drain perfectly, so no worries on that.

Sorry about your friend.
                    sigpic

Robert

Comment

Just read your post.

11/4 is horrible on a kitchen sink.

put in 2" waste and an 11/2 trap.

you are sure the trap is clear??
                      sigpic

Robert

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                        i would still try to remove the studor vent and see how it drains.

could be an air lock, sort of like the old days with an oil can. it took 2 holes to properly pour. 1 hole will cause it to spurt

hopefully i don't need to explain to the young guys that oil use to come in a cardboard quart with a metal top and bottom

i still have some vintage cans at the shop

rick.
                        I resemble that remark. . .I never knew that
                        I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

Originally posted by MrsSeatDown View Post
                          I resemble that remark. . .I never knew that

joey, when was the last time you checked the oil

no less, added oil

everytime i do it while you're in the car, you honk the horn

rick.
                          phoebe it is

Comment

I took the P-trap off and inserted a Drain King balloon fixture in the stub pipe on the santee and hooked to a garden hose and it flushed right thru with no blockages--let it run for several minutes. I then reassembled things and removed the cheap AAV and there was no gurgling or backing up of water in either sink, I filled the sink with on the disposer side and ran the disposer and went right down with no backup or sound. I will order a better vent, a Studor mini-vent maybe?? or what. I have replace the cheap vent for the time being. Thanks to all for your help and answers. Let me know what is the best vent to use in this situation as this is an island sink.

quickshot

Comment

Thanks JCs for your comments, I appreciate your reply and everyone else also. I will try some things that were suggested in the next week or two and reply back later. Thanks again.

quickshot

Comment

Working...
                              X