X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: CSST Leak

Certified in TracPipe as well. Must say that i love it. The thing that i love most about it is that you have to be certified to buy it, and you are not going to get it or fittings for it at your local homecenter. That means the do-it-yourselfer can't touch it. I don't think it is the most beautiful thing out there, but thier direct burial stuff is the ****. I think that the plumbing profession needs more of this type product. By that i mean stuff thats not readily available to average joe homeowner. I have never had to explain to someone why i am charging 25 dollars for a 7 dollar contactor, but how many times have you tried to explain why your fluidmaster 400A (or whatever you prefer) is better than the homecenters?

Comment

Very good point, MPMG
      Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

I use steel almost exclusively.
        IF I wind up in a pinch where for some reason I need CSST...then it's trackpipe.
        I had the distinct "priviledge" of using Wardflex extensively working for other shops and it was a nightmare...three main reasons:

-The gaskets don't come close to the metal to metal seal in Gastite & Trackpipe,
        -The CSST in Wardflex is annealed (made intentionally softer for ease of use...not good) and I'd seen it puncture in a concealed location from being dragged too hard through a joist in a tight spot (possibly a nail...we never found out),
        -I found when the fittings leak, using leak detector often doesn't show bubbles due to the way the compression nut seems to disperse air.

Another issue with CSST...three major MFG's each have their own installation procedure, I watched a licensed guy once install a duplex of Wardflex according to what he was trained for Gastite...it wasn't a good day...we wound up running around like crazed lunatics locating every joint and having to try to stretch another inch or so on each length before the inspector got there.
        He bought lunch that day.

The cost is quite a bit higher than steel as well, makes me wonder how much more cost effective it is over the time it takes to cut & thread.
        Now there's a new issue with CSST and grounding/bonding in regard to lightening causing it to puncture, which makes me wonder about the overall strengtyh of the thin stainless tubing....
        I feel more comfy with sched 40 steel over CSST any day....however Robert does make a good argument above for using it in certain situations.

Comment

Originally posted by MPMGinAL View Post
          Certified in TracPipe as well. Must say that i love it. The thing that i love most about it is that you have to be certified to buy it, and you are not going to get it or fittings for it at your local homecenter. That means the do-it-yourselfer can't touch it. I don't think it is the most beautiful thing out there, but thier direct burial stuff is the ****. I think that the plumbing profession needs more of this type product. By that i mean stuff thats not readily available to average joe homeowner. I have never had to explain to someone why i am charging 25 dollars for a 7 dollar contactor, but how many times have you tried to explain why your fluidmaster 400A (or whatever you prefer) is better than the homecenters?
          Up here we use to use alot of copper for gas to fire places, BBQs, ranges etc... Now we use Trac pipe, crack heads don't steal Trac pipe Another plus for Trac Pipe,MADE IN THE USA! All the blk iron we get now is made in China.
          You will never expand your mind, if you do not challenge your beliefs.

By the reading of this post, you acknowledge and agree that the poster shall not be responsible or liable, directly or indirectly, for any damage or loss caused or alleged to be caused by or in connection with use of or reliance on any content contained herein.

Comment

I prefer using csst and have noticed that Tracpipe fittings are superior to Gastite. When installed correctly it is a safe product.
            As far as cost it does depend on the installation. I recently installed 2" steel gas line 100 feet in a salon/spa with CSST branches to the attic furnaces. We had to go with steel because the 2" CSST price was outrageous. We could have laid that run in about 30 minutes. It took most of one day to cut and thread 2" pipe from the meter stub to the water heaters.
            Last edited by mtnman1100; 04-01-2008, 01:00 AM.
            ANYONE CAN TAKE THE HELM WHEN THE SEA IS CALM.

Comment

Wow,
              Forgot I posted this ..Anyhow now that i'm back.Ithink I remember what happened. I believe there was a tiny leak and that was fixed. BUT what happened was the HVAC guys opened the gas cock on the attic unit twice ..They finally fessed up.Good kids though ..I tell you what I bought a kohlman gauge just for that job. Even the inspector was like "A Kohlman gauge?" I said "Yes sir , now I know there are no leaks on my system". We can test with air now . no more Kohlman gauge is required .They were a real pain especially when filling the system with a compressor.Had to let the air cool down or you would think there was a leak
              ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Working...
              X