X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CSST Leak

The first time I pumped the system up .It dropped from 80 psi. to 65 psi. in 2 days ..Not good .Then I soaped up the manifold and had to pump it back up to 100 psi to find a gnat f**t of a leak .Homeowner emails me to night after the gauge has been on for a week and says the gauge has dropped from 80 to 65 ..Huuuuuuu. I am going back with a kohlman sp? gauge and testing this thing ..This has just gotten silly ..Just need to vent
    ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Re: CSST Leak

Is this a high pressure system??? Because in a residence low pressure .5psi you only need to test at what 10psi and hold that for 15 minutes on a 30 psi gauge in 1psi increments. Not to be too specific.

http://www.ci.concord.ca.us/permits/...essuretest.htm

What's good for Concord...
    ANYONE CAN TAKE THE HELM WHEN THE SEA IS CALM.

Comment

Sorry , yes 2 psi manifold system (gastite csst) .Our inspectors want to see 60 psi for a close in..I will find it with a kohlman gauge I guess..
      ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

here is the pressure test link.

rick.
        Attached Files
        phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by OLD1 View Post
          The first time I pumped the system up .It dropped from 80 psi. to 65 psi. in 2 days ..Not good .Then I soaped up the manifold and had to pump it back up to 100 psi to find a gnat f**t of a leak .Homeowner emails me to night after the gauge has been on for a week and says the gauge has dropped from 80 to 65 ..Huuuuuuu. I am going back with a kohlman sp? gauge and testing this thing ..This has just gotten silly ..Just need to vent

What type of soap did you use?

IF you used household soap detergent on this product, it destroys that thin stainless steel corrugated piping over the years. It's a fact.

Read the specs on the product and it'll usually include that disclaimer in the fine print.

Be honest and let us know if you used the right product to check for leaks. It will damage the pipe, rots at the edges.

don't use this product for numerous reasons.

Notorious for leaks at the fittings and

can be easily punctured by anything sharp,

including the teeth of a dog when they find that

bright yellow covering neat to chew on leading to

the water heater.

Black Iron all the way!
          Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Notorious for leaks at the fittings and

can be easily punctured by anything sharp,

including the teeth of a dog when they find that

bright yellow covering neat to chew on leading to

the water heater.

Black Iron all the way![/quote]

Have to be one hell of a big dog.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post

Have to be one hell of a big dog.

Yes, and here's an example of how animals couped up in basements like PowerVent water heaters

CHEWYCHEWY

The job mentioning the dog chewing on the CSST was reported by the gas company that came out and looked at this nonsense from a licensed master plumber. The gas co. guy stated that the house didn't blow up but it was clearly evident the line was chewed to the point of breakthrough and was leakng gas enough to have them come out. I forgot, the guy did a gas stove as well. More

That was used to serve a dryer which was a half witted tap off from the drip leg of a furnace.

I nailed that plumber to the wall by his ***** on that stupidity and I enjoyed every time he flipped me off as I drove by. :twofinger:

He worked for free, got a scathing bad report on the BBB by the property owner for putting up such poor quality work.

This type of piping creates this kind of results.
              Last edited by DUNBAR PLUMBING; 03-31-2008, 08:58 AM.

Comment

So are you blaming the installer or the csst.?
                sigpic

Comment

So are you blaming the installer or the csst.?

BOTH

Dogs have never chewed black iron gas lines before, nor has lightning strikes blown tiny holes into black iron.

I've never heard of a black iron pipe get a hole in it because a nail from a joist toenailed to a top plate slowly rubbed a hole in it.

I bet I'm the youngest, old school plumber on this site, or maybe the whole internet!

But I don't like what's fast and easy, I like what takes time effort and skill as it protects my valued profession from the ability of others to simply crimp here and push fit there and tighten this nut and go. I don't want simplicity when it creates such a downturn.

My first service call in the office this morning was a broken water main in the ground.

Do you know what type of piping it was? We already know.......>>>plastic.

Comment

Originally posted by DUNBAR View Post
                    BOTH

I've never heard of a black iron pipe get a hole in it because a nail from a joist toenailed to a top plate slowly rubbed a hole in it.

a nail gun will shoot a hole in black iron.

the striker plates we use on gastite are hardened steel. next to impossible to penetrate.

the nail plates we use on copper, or normal pipe, is plain steel.

the trick with gastite, is following the installation standards and codes.

rick.
                    phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                      a nail gun will shoot a hole in black iron.

the striker plates we use on gastite are hardened steel. next to impossible to penetrate.

the nail plates we use on copper, or normal pipe, is plain steel.

the trick with gastite, is following the installation standards and codes.

rick.

That's nice, all's well said and good but it's the hazards it poses after the plumber/installer is long gone.

I've already seen people hanging metal coat hangers off this piping just like they do on black iron.

I don't believe a nail gun will penetrate black iron, you need to show me the picture of that knowing the soft metal nails are against a hardened SCH40 steel.

I see the flexies behind stoves and dryers as a purposeful need as the fixture itself protects it from undo harm, but hanging this **** across everywhere knowing how shoddy it looks is just wrong. Vibration is just as much a problem for black iron steel as much as it is for this flex-type piping.

One thing that will hold true; you still have to mix black iron into the equation when using this in a new home OR a rework. Code dictates you have to have hard pipe either at the penetrations or at the termination points.

With of course an exception to CA where they "have to" provide flex gas lines to water heaters due to earthquake conditions.

There's something wrong with a product when the constant problem that's never fixed, which is the nut that almost buries out before it tightens. That and even licensed plumbers *like pictured above* don't know how to properly place the keepers on the pipe, strip it back to the right length before making up.

following the installations standards and codes

That's perfect world antics that do not exist on an everyday application found with hacksaw and channel lock bandits when it comes to this type of piping system.
                      Last edited by DUNBAR PLUMBING; 03-31-2008, 11:42 AM.

Comment

Seen nail holes in steel pipe many many times. I'm a bit of an old school guy also, but I'm willing to give new stuff a try.
                        sigpic

Comment

We use Trac Pipe, have never had a problem with the nut, keeper or any other part of the system. You need to be certified to install it. As for how it looks, that's entirely up to the installer. I can show you miles of very nasty CI pipe, pvc pipe, copper pipe it does'nt make a difference what the material is, if the installer is a hack. To blame the csst on the dog is a gross injustice here. The csst should never have been installed in that manner in the first place. I also note that the dog chewed the wires to the water heater gas valve. Is that the manufacturers fault also.?
                          sigpic

Comment

We use Trac Pipe, have never had a problem with the nut, keeper or any other part of the system. You need to be certified to install it. As for how it looks, that's entirely up to the installer. I can show you miles of very nasty CI pipe, pvc pipe, copper pipe it does'nt make a difference what the material is, if the installer is a hack. To blame the csst on the dog is a gross injustice here. The csst should never have been installed in that manner in the first place. I also note that the dog chewed the wires to the water heater gas valve. Is that the manufacturers fault also.?
                            I agree with this post.
                            Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

I agree.

I am certified in Trac Pipe, although I will not use it for every job, I will use it when there is a time crunch, I recently had new owners of a house moving in, they wanted their gas on.......I had 1 day to re-pipe it, so, in this case I used Trac for the main trunk line.

Yeah, it does not look as neat as steel, and you cannot pull it tight to strap it.

If I am going for a beauty contest and it is going to be visable, then I steel pipe it.
                              sigpic

Robert

Comment

Working...
                              X