X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with Replacing Shower Valve

I am having difficulty understanding how in depth I need to get with replacing our shower valves. We have a shower in which the stems are broken/stripped and are no longer available (too old). We have had four plumbers look at this, say they would indeed find the piece and never get back in touch. I am no plumber, but am going to try my hand at this... The shower is tiled with only the small hot/cold openings - the back of the shower is accessible. I think that I must CUT OFF THE WATER and remover the whole valve on each side by cutting the pipes on top and bottom and totally replacing the fixture. Is this correct? If so, could you give me some info as to what to be aware of, etc. I have read many of your threads and have some idea, but would like to be completely sure before I begin. Thanks, and what a great site!

Paige
    Last edited by Paigewms67; 04-03-2008, 09:31 PM.

Re: Help with Replacing Shower Valve

Have a plumber replace it. This isn't a do-it-yourself task unless you have a plumber at least watching over your shoulder the first time.
    Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

Seriously, if you get the pipes cut and then run into trouble figuring out how to set the valve, fittings and/or soldering....you'll be without water. I have seen it too many times.
      Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

Soldering, who's to say he has copper? what if it is galvanized?

pictures would help if you really want to trya nd do this, we should atleast see the back of the valve and the type of pipe you have
        sigpic

Robert

Comment

If four plumbers haven't replied after going there on their time, there's something missing in the story.
          I can see maybe one of them not getting back to you, but all four and something is missing in the details.
          You might try calling one or two back.

Comment

Faucet is too old to find parts for?..not likely

80 year old faucets are easier to find parts for than one that is 18 years old

Show us a picture of the handles and valve and we can probably tell you which stems you need to get.

Replacing a old shower valve is not for a beginner

Comment

You know, in thirty six years of plumbing, changing out a tub\shower valve is still by far the job I hate the most. Always working in a cramped space, scraping your knuckles. desperatly trying to save the wall tiles. fighting the old valve out and the new valve in. Thank god I can send someone else to do it now and listen to them ***** when they get back.
              sigpic

Comment

i don't mind them i hate pedestals way more

Comment

this is what a shower valve looks like from behind the wall. Hot, Cold Shower head and tub spout on the bottom. With Copper pipe. If you have copper pipe soldering will be involved, if you have galvanized pipe then you might get lucky - fat chance.
                  ANYONE CAN TAKE THE HELM WHEN THE SEA IS CALM.

Comment

ok. you can cut out the wall in the back of the shower. they make a access panel to put back over the hole. second, if you have copper and can not solder,there are these fittings called shark bites.they work on copper,pex cpvc and so on. very cool! next i would recomend delta. lifetime warrenty, easy to find parts for. 1 800 345-delta. if you have a 2 handle faucet they make a (bow tie) esc. that will cover the two holes to make it a single lever.

Comment

Originally posted by city plumbing View Post
                      ok. you can cut out the wall in the back of the shower. they make a access panel to put back over the hole. second, if you have copper and can not solder,there are these fittings called shark bites.they work on copper,pex cpvc and so on. very cool! next i would recomend delta. lifetime warrenty, easy to find parts for. 1 800 345-delta. if you have a 2 handle faucet they make a (bow tie) esc. that will cover the two holes to make it a single lever.

By any chance do you work for delta????

Comment

Delta = garbage. If you are looking to replace your faucet I would recommend installing a Moen. You may consider replacing this with another 2-handle faucet as it may simplify installation. Possibly even just replacing the two unions on the hot and cold side. and a coupling in the shower pipe, combined with remaking a drop for the tub spout. If you are somewhat handy, I would say go for it. There are enough people here on the board willing to give you a helping hand, just don't burn your house down!!

Note: This may lead to a lack of water for an extended period of time, divorce, fire, death, and every other bad thing you can think of. In other words, proceed with caution and know the name of a good plumber to call in case you find yourself in trouble.
                        Distractions are everywhere, don't lose sight of your dream.

Comment

Working...
                        X