X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Which Zurn PEX crimp ring to use?

I'm glad things went well. There is nothing more satisfying than installing something and then having to keep a watchfull eye on it.
    sigpic

Comment

Especially with this being my first house. I have performed a lot of work and fixed a lot of things but this is the first time I didn't have to pack my tools up into my car at the end of the day to drive home. It was a good feeling.

Funny story, the valve upstream of my water meter leaks. I installed the meter and tied the PEX in before I had finished the rest of the system so that I could be finished in that area and concentrate on installing the manifolds and running the rest of the feeds. 2 hours later, after returning from dinner there was a puddle of water on the floor of my laundry room. I just wasn't thinking. I am lucky I didn't leave it over night. LESSON LEARNED.
      Last edited by mheriot; 04-08-2008, 11:46 AM.

Comment

I had a hard time replacing the heat traps on my water heater also. A combination of pipe dope and rust made them difficult to remove. I haven't seen these on all water heaters, are they just energy saving devices or what? With the directional arrow I am assuming it works similiar to a check valve and ensures that water will only come in from the cold line and leave through the hot line.

Comment

Originally posted by mheriot View Post
          I had a hard time replacing the heat traps on my water heater also. A combination of pipe dope and rust made them difficult to remove. I haven't seen these on all water heaters, are they just energy saving devices or what? With the directional arrow I am assuming it works similiar to a check valve and ensures that water will only come in from the cold line and leave through the hot line.
          Did you re-do them in zurn pex.?
          sigpic

Comment

Nope, cleaned the threads as best I could and installed galvy heat traps with teflon tape and pipe dope. From there I attached 12" lengths of 3/4" copper flex to which I attached the pex. I needed the 12" length in order to keep the pex a safe enough distance away from the water heater exhaust.

Comment

Congrats! You just failed inspection!

Comment

The copper crimp rings work great. Use a fitting that conforms to ASTM standards, and a crimp tool that won't allow you to open it unless you've crimped the ring 100%. Simple. Time tested and proven.

Comment

Working...
                X