X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remodeling Bathroom Plumbing Advice Needed

I am in the process of remodeling the bathroom. I am trying to get a plumber out to look at the situations since I cut open and excavated the concrete floor. I usually like to know the plan, so I don't get bids for 10 different ways of doing things. I have a vented waste stack that used to service the tub. I plan to move the shower over next to the tub. The waste pipe looks at to be at least 2 inches. Questions:

1. Can the shower y into or joint this waste pipe? I asked the City inspector about the situation and he suggested this. He said showers and tubs are seldom used at the same time. The distance for the two waste runs in the new configuration would be 2.5 feet for new shower, 3.5 feet for the existing bath. The new shower will have the multiple body sprays. My desire is for this to work well, not just work and I'd like other opinions on the matter.

2. Seems like everyone is using the PEX tubing around here I was considering running the supply lines myself. First of all is there any reason PEX should not be used here in North Texas? I've heard that the tools are proprietary? I've seen the crimpers at the big box stores, are those good tools? I've talked to different people about the expander tool, some say it is necessary others not. Why would it not be necessary? I've got 3/4" copper supply at the edge of the bathroom.

3. I cut the concrete slab around the old shower stall, I new it would be thick and it was worse than I expected. Talked with the inspector and he said why not cap it off below the slab line and put concrete over the top. I didn't think that was allowed. Again I don't want do something just because it is allowed, if it could cause problems later. This drain pipe runs over about 2.5 feet to a dwv. It is in the middle of the house and I was afraid of continuing chipping concrete if there was going to be no benefit.

Your opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Remodeling Bathroom Plumbing Advice Needed

you should take pics and post'em

Comment

I'll take some tomorrow and post them. Any initial thoughts on the questions?

Thanks,

Comment

So here is a picture of the tub and new shower area, as yo can see the two cutouts one for the shower is on the left, the tub is on the right:

http://www.lewishideout.com/~gallery...10327.JPG.html

Here are some pictures of the old shower location where I removed the floor. The pipe sticking up is the old shower drain, the one that was suggested to cap off.
        http://www.lewishideout.com/~gallery...10326.JPG.html
        http://www.lewishideout.com/~gallery...10325.JPG.html
        http://www.lewishideout.com/~gallery...10324.JPG.html

Finally here is where the 3/4 inch supply comes into the bathroom.
        http://www.lewishideout.com/~gallery...10334.JPG.html

Hopefully this will help you to picture the situation and provide some of your thoughts,

Nathan

Comment

Originally posted by natelew View Post
          I am in the process of remodeling the bathroom. I am trying to get a plumber out to look at the situations since I cut open and excavated the concrete floor. I usually like to know the plan, so I don't get bids for 10 different ways of doing things. I have a vented waste stack that used to service the tub. I plan to move the shower over next to the tub. The waste pipe looks at to be at least 2 inches. Questions:

1. Can the shower y into or joint this waste pipe? I asked the City inspector about the situation and he suggested this. He said showers and tubs are seldom used at the same time. The distance for the two waste runs in the new configuration would be 2.5 feet for new shower, 3.5 feet for the existing bath. The new shower will have the multiple body sprays. My desire is for this to work well, not just work and I'd like other opinions on the matter.

2. Seems like everyone is using the PEX tubing around here I was considering running the supply lines myself. First of all is there any reason PEX should not be used here in North Texas? I've heard that the tools are proprietary? I've seen the crimpers at the big box stores, are those good tools? I've talked to different people about the expander tool, some say it is necessary others not. Why would it not be necessary? I've got 3/4" copper supply at the edge of the bathroom.

3. I cut the concrete slab around the old shower stall, I new it would be thick and it was worse than I expected. Talked with the inspector and he said why not cap it off below the slab line and put concrete over the top. I didn't think that was allowed. Again I don't want do something just because it is allowed, if it could cause problems later. This drain pipe runs over about 2.5 feet to a dwv. It is in the middle of the house and I was afraid of continuing chipping concrete if there was going to be no benefit.

Your opinions would be greatly appreciated.

1. normally in a master bath i would wet vent 2 fixtures with the lav, and use a dry vent on the furthest fixture, but you will not have any problems doing it the way the inspector suggested

2. personally if i were you, i would go with copper. the only way i would use pex in my own house is with a manifold (less joints less problems), but you're remodeling so it doesn't make sense to use pex.

3. just cap it off, unless you love jackhammering

Comment

Thanks for responding, I have been racking my brain for exactly what he said about the the tub and shower and how he said it. It sounded like he was saying just tie into the branch for the tub. Especially since he was saying that the tub and shower aren't used together. Is that a good idea, or is it necessary to run a separate branch to the dwv? Would it depend on the size of the branch pipe running from the tub?

What is the minimum suggested size drain for a shower with the body sprays and such? For the shower branch is there a maximum step down/reduction for this type of thing (the shower)?

Comment

Originally posted by natelew View Post
              Thanks for responding, I have been racking my brain for exactly what he said about the the tub and shower and how he said it. It sounded like he was saying just tie into the branch for the tub. Especially since he was saying that the tub and shower aren't used together. Is that a good idea, or is it necessary to run a separate branch to the dwv? Would it depend on the size of the branch pipe running from the tub?

What is the minimum suggested size drain for a shower with the body sprays and such? For the shower branch is there a maximum step down/reduction for this type of thing (the shower)?
              code minimums vary but go with 2 inch pipe for the shower drain, those are the drain sizes you will find anyway when you look for parts. And use copper water pipes.
              ANYONE CAN TAKE THE HELM WHEN THE SEA IS CALM.

Comment

Working...
              X