X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to join gray plastic pipe to 1/2" copper

How do join gray plastic pipe to 1/2 copper pipe? I was attempting to replace a frost- proof faucet at my daughter's condo in Ft. Collins today and discovered the condo was plumbed with flexible gray plastic pipe. The plastic to copper pipe is connected by large white, plastic couplers. One of the couplers is leaking on the gray pipe end. No one at the big box store had any idea how to connect the gray plastic pipe to copper. The best guess was to use a sharkbite. Any ideas for a rookie?

Re: How to join gray plastic pipe to 1/2" copper

Can you get some pictures of the pipe?

The grey pipe sounds like Quest, which is nothing but problems and you'll want to replace it asap.

Awhile back there was even a class action lawsuit against Quest, it can blow apart at any time.

Again, pictures would be helpful.
    Proud To Be Union!!

Comment

Originally posted by Shadetreerepairman View Post
      How do join gray plastic pipe to 1/2 copper pipe? I was attempting to replace a frost- proof faucet at my daughter's condo in Ft. Collins today and discovered the condo was plumbed with flexible gray plastic pipe. The plastic to copper pipe is connected by large white, plastic couplers. One of the couplers is leaking on the gray pipe end. No one at the big box store had any idea how to connect the gray plastic pipe to copper. The best guess was to use a sharkbite. Any ideas for a rookie?
      i have to say that your trade should not be handyman if you cant do this

it would be nice to know what type of pipe the gray one is
      Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
      http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
      http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Originally posted by Shadetreerepairman View Post
        A sharkbite coupling will work just make sure you use the insert stiffeners along with them. Or you can ask your local supply house for polybutaline x copper adapter along with the proper rings and rent out the crimp tool.
        ________
        Bmw m
        Last edited by TOPDAWG; 02-24-2011, 05:57 PM.
        Mike

Comment

Fore sure, identify the grey pipe. Try to find a print line that shows a complete code string. Take photos.

Comment

Originally posted by Plastic Head View Post
            Fore sure, identify the grey pipe. Try to find a print line that shows a complete code string. Take photos.
            Plastic Head Returns! Will there be Flowguard involved???

J.C.

Comment

Many thanks to all of you who responded. It is polybutylene pipe that is not covered by the class action lawsuit due to the,(from what I have been told), type of plastic connections. Replacing all the water lines sounds like the only long term solution. For now, I just needed a temporary fix to replace a leaking connection to an outside faucet. Thanks again.
              PS- HVAC Hawk- you guessed it, I do not do this for a living.

Comment

Shadetree, let me know if you need some help.
                That piping will need to be replaced soon.
                ANYONE CAN TAKE THE HELM WHEN THE SEA IS CALM.

Comment

Working...
                X