Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New hot water line to bathroom sink? Best?

What is best?

I am going to run a new hot water line to my bathroom sink. I have the bathroom torn apart, so I can run it in the ceiling, in the wall (outside wall), or in the crawl space. I can use any pipe (metal or plastic) my little heart desires!

Currently it is uninsulated 1/2 galvanized run in the crawl space. It gets cold down there! I need to run the water for awhile before I get hot water.

Of course I want to insulate the new pipe.

But what type of pipe? And should I run it in the ceiling, wall, or crawl space?

I've been reading about CPVC and how it does not hold heat/cold. My thinking is that with a cold metal pipe, the hot water would first need to heat up the pipe before it reached my bathroom sink, then after it did that, I would get hot water. But that with CPVC, I would get hot water sooner?

I'm thinking of running it in the ceiling. Heat goes up, so I would think that the heat from my water heater would rise up and keep the pipe warm (wood stove water heater, heat loss is no problem!). Plus heat from the room goes to the ceiling and this would also keep the pipe somewhat warm.

I want to keep costs down. Copper is looking expensive and with PEX I would need to buy expensive tools. I do plan to use galvanized well anchored to the wall around valves as you can crank on a stuck valve and the pipe will not come loose or break.

So would insulated CPVC run in the ceiling be the best idea?

(I am aware of hot water circulation systems with an electric pump. But I am trying to keep my utility costs down, so I don't want to do this. 20 years ago I would have done this in a heartbeat. But not these days!)

Re: New hot water line to bathroom sink? Best?

Type L Copper. Insulated. Keep it as accessible as possible. No galvanized if possible. Dilectric connections where necessary. Circulating systems are not gonna cost you much to use if any. It can even be redundant engineering that cancels out the cost to operate.

J.C.

Comment

I just ran PEX as a replacement for the copper in the home I just bought. Like you I was turned off by the cost of the crimp tools but found out that my local home center rents the tools for $8 a day. As was brought up in other PEX threads, the downside to renting is that if there is an emergency on a Sunday night you are SOL until the morning.

Just an FYI.

Comment

pex pex pex

Comment

The solution to the "Sunday emergency" could be to have a couple Sharkbite fittings on hand (no crimp tool needed) and some extra lengths of pipe. The PEX cutting tool is only $8 so it can't hurt to have one of those on hand.

Another benefit of PEX is it's RESISTANCE to rupture due to freezing. It IS NOT freeze-proof but it is more forgiving than copper or galvy, and again it's cheap.

Comment

I can kind of understand you guys not wanting to pay a plumber, but being too cheap to buy the right tools? Give me a break, Pex tools aren't that much money.
            Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

For me $100 is too much for a tool I might use once. The Depot's rental department worked fine for me.

Comment

One more time....

Those of you crimping pex REALLY REALLY need to get on line and do some research. The Zurn pex sold at home depot is in the middle of a MULTI MILLION dollar, class action law suit. Many state plumbing boards, nation wide are not allowing crimp pex because the fittings are restrictive. Sure it's fast and easy and seems like the ideal solution for the home owner but guess who will be first in line when the stuff goes to **** and there's an opportunity to jump on the law suit band wagon.? Only Uponor (wirsbo) pex and fittings has had zero, yes zero law suits filed agains it's products in the 40 years they have been manufacturing and distributing it. No you can't get the product or the tools at Home Depot or Lowes. No the supply houses will not rent you the tool, it costs around 300 bucks. Uponor pex is a professional product made to be installed by certified professionals and it carries a lifetime guarantee.
                sigpic

Comment

I would use type L hard copper and insulate it.
                  sigpic

Robert

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                    One more time....

Those of you crimping pex REALLY REALLY need to get on line and do some research. The Zurn pex sold at home depot is in the middle of a MULTI MILLION dollar, class action law suit. Many state plumbing boards, nation wide are not allowing crimp pex because the fittings are restrictive. Sure it's fast and easy and seems like the ideal solution for the home owner but guess who will be first in line when the stuff goes to **** and there's an opportunity to jump on the law suit band wagon.? Only Uponor (wirsbo) pex and fittings has had zero, yes zero law suits filed agains it's products in the 40 years they have been manufacturing and distributing it. No you can't get the product or the tools at Home Depot or Lowes. No the supply houses will not rent you the tool, it costs around 300 bucks. Uponor pex is a professional product made to be installed by certified professionals and it carries a lifetime guarantee.

You've got my attention, the problem is even the PRO supply houses only sell zurn around here, I need to find a wirsbro distributor I guess.
                    Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

One more time....

this is the problem with the new "easy to install products"

harry home owner and his 5 brothers will install the product, and then blame the product when it fails.

maybe not even blame the product when it fails, but at the same time, who is to say if these products are going to be installed properly?

I believe in the certifications, I have many, but why does it matter when anyone can go in and buy the product or rent the tools to install it their way??
                      sigpic

Robert

Comment

One more time....

Unfortunately I don't think we homeowners would have a say in the class action lawsuit as the systems were not installed by licensed plumbers. Ultimately in our quest to save a few dollars we are left with 100% responsibility on our shoulders.

Comment

Unfortunatly, yes home owners would indeed be entitled to participate in the class action suit. The suit is against the product, not the installation. And since Zurn (and others) have chosen not to certify installers, it does not seem to matter who hacks the stuff in.
                          sigpic

Comment

Wow that is surprising but I guess it makes sense. I read a little into the lawsuit and like you said it is against the material failing, not the installation.

Comment

Working...
                            X