Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Asbestos any more????

Originally posted by Aaron91 View Post
    In confined spaces I even wear a half mask respirator when using cpvc glue.

I'm curious, are you OSHA certified?
    Yup, I am OSHA certified.

Glad to see that you can recognize potential hazards and are taking proper safety precautions when you need to. I wish all contractors were as proactive as you, it would save me a good hour or two a day.

The purpose of this thread was to see if they had a present day solution as asbestos is not used anymore; not for people to lay into me for using the stuff. Don't worry, I mounted a couple layers of it to a piece of plywood with a handle to minimize contact.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
      Ditto. What's strange to me is he lists his occupation as a construction manager. I don't think I've ever known a construction manager that didn't know multiple plumbers. Hmmmm..... Why doesn't he just ask them?
      At the moment we do not have plumbers on site so this forum is the easiest way for me to ask muliple people in one shot.

Are you questioning my profession?

Comment

Mark, I'm sure I do come in contact with asbestos several times a day without realizing it, but I'll gladly pay $20 and buy a high quality heat shield then use one containing asbestos.

To each their own.
        Proud To Be Union!!

Comment

how about lead ,when i started plumbing 25yrs ago i remember putting in a lead shower pan and then taking lunch with lead on my hands . who would have thought it was going to be bad for you .
          Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
          http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
          http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron91 View Post
            Mark, I'm sure I do come in contact with asbestos several times a day without realizing it, but I'll gladly pay $20 and buy a high quality heat shield then use one containing asbestos.

To each their own.
            Alas, an answer! What material are these high quality heat sheilds made of; ceramic, fiberglass?

Comment

Originally posted by mheriot View Post
              Alas, an answer! What material are these high quality heat sheilds made of; ceramic, fiberglass?
              Mine was a fiberglass sheet with some impregnated fire retardant

I wouldn't exactly call it high quality

Didn't catch fire but it also didn't block the heat like my asbestos sheild

Comment

You know what's really bizzarre about asbestos is that though you have to jump through hoops to remove it, you can still buy 50lb bags of the stuff. The law says you can't remove it without being certified, but you can still install it. Go figure.?
                sigpic

Comment

Goll I think he asked if there was something comparable on the market.

To answer his question I used a home owners heat shield he bought for a HOME project he couldn't finish. It work very good although I've never used an asbestos cloth so I can't compare it to that.

I for one am not threatened by homeowners doing plumbing projects.

Comment

Originally posted by saysflushable View Post

I like homeowners that do their own projects, because even if it works then, a few months down the road they call me.

sigpic

Robert

Comment

To answer his question I used a home owners heat shield he bought for a HOME project he couldn't finish. It work very good although I've never used an asbestos cloth so I can't compare it to that.

I would never use a homeowners tool of any type, they pay me to come to their house prepared.

I am the professional, I know whats required to complete a job, and it should be on my truck.

but to each their own.
                      sigpic

Robert

Comment

Goll I think he asked if there was something comparable on the market.

Comment

G

I don't mind answering questions about legitimate plumbing projects. But when people are knowingly breaking the law to do their own unlicensed rough-ins or whatever, I won't be giving them any advice or encouraging that in any way. They should be hiring a licensed professional in those situations.
                          I guess I shouldn't respond to this sub-forum, because it seems a good chunk of the questions here come from people doing major plumbing work unpermitted, unlicensed because they are too cheap to hire one of us.
                          Last edited by Service Guy; 04-08-2008, 07:59 PM.
                          Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

Originally posted by westcoastplumber View Post
                            I like homeowners that do their own projects, because even if it works then, a few months down the road they call me.

Not all homeowners are incompetent. You only know about the ones that have to call you when they get in over their heads and pooch an install. How many are out there that successfully do some of their own work, licensed or not?

On the other hand some homeowners do their own work even though they have no idea what they are doing and are mechanically stupid. I just moved into a place where one of the previous owners did all of his own work, and it shows. Sump pumps piped into city sewer, washing machine hard piped into drain with no air break, all copper was installed with no hangers (supported by gas line, ducts, etc.), dishwasher drain plug not removed on garbage disposal, and I will save the electrical issues for the proper forum.

Comment

Originally posted by Service Guy View Post

I don't mind answering questions about legitimate plumbing projects. But when people are knowingly breaking the law to do their own unlicensed rough-ins or whatever, I won't be giving them any advice or encouraging that in any way. They should be hiring a licensed professional in those situations.
                              I guess I shouldn't respond to this sub-forum, because it seems a good chunk of the questions here come from people doing major plumbing work unpermitted, unlicensed because they are too cheap to hire one of us.
                              You know, I've been to the dentist a bunch of times and I'm pretty sure I could do that kind of work. Any one want to be my first customer.? What, no takers. Chickens
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                                You know, I've been to the dentist a bunch of times and I'm pretty sure I could do that kind of work. Any one want to be my first customer.? What, no takers. Chickens
                                I should have been a dentist.
                                Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

Working...
                                X