X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asbestos any more????

My father gave me a hand this weekend with a plumbing project and brought over some old asbestos sheets (about 18"x18") that we placed behind copper joints we were soldering to prevent the surrounding wood from burning or catching fire. The sheets took the MAPP flame just fine protecting everything it was supposed to. I see a lot of pictures on this site where wood is scorched and burned due to soldering; do they not make a similiar product to the asbestos anymore? Is it a matter of people being lazy? Just curious.

Re: Asbestos any more????

Originally posted by mheriot View Post
    My father gave me a hand this weekend with a plumbing project and brought over some old asbestos sheets (about 18"x18") that we placed behind copper joints we were soldering to prevent the surrounding wood from burning or catching fire. The sheets took the MAPP flame just fine protecting everything it was supposed to. I see a lot of pictures on this site where wood is scorched and burned due to soldering; do they not make a similiar product to the asbestos anymore? Is it a matter of people being lazy? Just curious.
    As a construction manager you are probably aware you likely were violating OSHA rules when you used the Asbestos. It's a great material and while I have never had an issue with it (coughed it up for years) some have and as such it is illegal to use today. They do make some mats to prevent scorching of wood but any decent plumbed knows how to solder without ensuing damages.

Mark
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

As I am well aware of OSHA regualtions I think I was good, I doubt OSHA is going to find me in my basement.

Comment

Are you even permitted to do plumbing in your state without a license?

Wel you say you're from MA. Assuming thats massachusetts, then its illegal for you to be working on the plumbing system (especially the potable water system) even in your own house without a plumbing license and pulling a plumbing permit.
        Last edited by Service Guy; 04-08-2008, 05:01 PM.
        Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

As I am well aware of OSHA regualtions I think I was good, I doubt OSHA is going to find me in my basement.
          It's not for their safety, it's for yours.
          Proud To Be Union!!

Comment

I would not be too hard on his father for hiding a piece of Asbestos away. Back in the early 70s the shop I was working for had a bunch of the old-timers hoarding the stuff in fear they would never find anything like it. To this day I don't believe anything is made which will compare to it.

Mark

Comment

Why jeopardize your health over a $20 health shield Mark?

Asbestos is known to cause lung damage and cancer. I rather not carry a 'tool' with those side effects in my tool bag.

Even if it wasn't broken/disturbed it's still too big of a risk too me.

Where's Bob at when ya need 'em?
              Proud To Be Union!!

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron91 View Post

Asbestos is known to cause lung damage and cancer. I rather not carry a 'tool' with those side effects in my tool bag.

I own an old asbestos glove. Can't remember the last time I used it but it really saves my butt when the copper is touching the PVC. Had a newer one which was crap like Mark said. Keep it sealed in a ziplock and handle it carefully with gloves...no biggie.

Spare me the lecture Bob

Aaron I'll bet there is at least 5 other items in your tool box that will kill you quicker than a asbestos shield

Any guesses which ones they are?

Comment

Not trying to be a smart Azz here, but according to the government ever thing causes cancer to day, even a well cooked steak is said to have carcinogens in it,

But I do not think one is going to contract lung cancer for using a asbestos mat for a flame guard.
                  I am not saying that there is not a danger to the stuff, but it would not surprise me in the future you will see fiber glass scandal or some other product out there demonize as well, yes up close working with any dusty product cause health risks, jsut plain dirt and dust can cause Silicosis, but my guess smoking was the major cause of many of the deaths that were attributed to the asbestos, not saying that it may not had a contributing effect.
                  Everything was made with it at one time, brake shoes, floor tile, glues, dry wall, shingles and siding, use for pipe insulation in commercial and home use, used in ceiling tiles, and the list goes on, and for most the dust mask was not yet even invented, if one wore a hanker chief that was protection.
                  yes one should take precautions,

there is no such thing as a risk free environment,

wait until they take the solvents out of your PVC glues and you can not keep the pipe together as some one will soon say they either contribute to global warming or it is dangerous to your health.

the EPA and OSHA has screw up and cost the American people thousands and thousands of additional costs in the removal of products and has created sub standard products in its wake, (honestly how much lead is going to be consumed by kids on industrial and construction and automotive paints)?

I am not saying there should not be some common sense laws and rules regarding chemicals and substances use and the handling of them.

but using a piece of asbestos mat is not going to kill any one. yes I know there are "laws out there for our protection" but how much of a nanny state do you want. do you want me to tell you how much to eat as if you have more chips at lunch you could get fat, or can only have one soda a day, or you can not drive over 25 because speeds over 25 are more deadly if a crash happens,

I am sure the person being discussed here has a good knowledge of the "dangers of asbestos" and is intelligent enough to make a rational decision on how it was used, I really doubt if he scraped fibers off of it to snort.

some times there are products out there that work really well for some purposes, and yes there are risks with them, but there are risks in most everything one does, and some people even search out things to do that are have a higher degree of risk than other things, (many sports come to mind here).

below is a cartoon that comes to mind for this discussion,
                  Attached Files
                  Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                  attributed to Samuel Johnson
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Originally posted by Service Guy View Post
                    Are you even permitted to do plumbing in your state without a license?

Wel you say you're from MA. Assuming thats massachusetts, then its illegal for you to be working on the plumbing system (especially the potable water system) even in your own house without a plumbing license and pulling a plumbing permit.
                    Nope, I'm not permitted.

Comment

If the asbestos is too much of a risk then I can safely assume that you wear a resiprator when soldering or brazing correct?

Comment

Nope, I'm not permitted.
                        And yet you ask for FREE advice from licensed pros. Nice.
                        Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

If the asbestos is too much of a risk then I can safely assume that you wear a resiprator when soldering or brazing correct?
                          In confined spaces I even wear a half mask respirator when using cpvc glue.

I'm curious, are you OSHA certified?
                          Proud To Be Union!!

Comment

Originally posted by Service Guy View Post
                            And yet you ask for FREE advice from licensed pros. Nice.
                            Ditto. What's strange to me is he lists his occupation as a construction manager. I don't think I've ever known a construction manager that didn't know multiple plumbers. Hmmmm..... Why doesn't he just ask them?
                            Last edited by BobsPlumbing; 04-08-2008, 06:47 PM.

Comment

You are not old enough to have worked with Asbestos but I worked with it every day for years without any problems. Although Asbestos is now illegal and there are special requirements for removing it I guarantee you, you come in contact with materials containing Asbestos several times each day without knowing it.

Mark

Comment

Working...
                              X