Weird Cast Iron

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weird Cast Iron

I am in the process of remodeling a bathroom and came across a very strange cast iron fitting. My toilet was attached to a custom lead bend with both my tub and sink drains custom cast into the bend right below the toilet. I removed this but the nipple that attaches to the cast iron tee in the stack is a thin wall 4" pipe (maybe galv?) that is somehow leaded in to the tee. I tried a torch to loosen the lead but that didn't do much. I am assuming it is lead but am open to other ideas for how I can remove the nipple to allow a Fernco coupling to switch to PVC. Thanks!
    Attached Files

Re: Weird Cast Iron

Originally posted by needhelp View Post
    I am in the process of remodeling a bathroom and came across a very strange cast iron fitting. My toilet was attached to a custom lead bend with both my tub and sink drains custom cast into the bend right below the toilet. I removed this but the nipple that attaches to the cast iron tee in the stack is a thin wall 4" pipe (maybe galv?) that is somehow leaded in to the tee. I tried a torch to loosen the lead but that didn't do much. I am assuming it is lead but am open to other ideas for how I can remove the nipple to allow a Fernco coupling to switch to PVC. Thanks!
    You could get a shielded no hub coupling and attach to the brass ferrule. Are you pulling a permit for this job?

http://www.plumbingsupply.com/images...ling-large.jpg

Comment

Sawzall and a chisel.
      sigpic

Comment

Keep up with the Torch, it takes a while, but that is the best way to do it.

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
          Sawzall and a chisel.
          correct remove brass ferrule and if you have room take sch 40 pvc put into hub pack with oakum heat lead, and pour wait then caulk your joint, the trick and most important part is not to get the lead too hot, this should be done by a pro, or you could go with masterplumbs suggestion but i would still recommend a pro. good luck
          Last edited by aero1; 04-14-2008, 11:25 AM.

Comment

i used the same type of coupling on my remodel with the same "nipple" sticking out of the cast iron. the banded coupling attaches either plastic or CI to what you have there now. just be sure to get the proper coupling making sure it is for CI to plastic or CI to CI. whichever route you go, pay particularly close attention to getting a coupling that is appropriate for the specific materials you are using, even taking into account the type of CI you are using and the type of CI you are attaching to. i would not waste any time trying to undo the leaded joint.
            there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

Working...
            X