Water Heater Replacement

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Water Heater Replacement

It doesn't mater if you have a 5 year tank or a 10 year tank , they are one in the same, you just pay more for the longer warranty with the manufacturer taking the gamble that you will not use the warranty when the tank expires or it will out last what ever warranty tank that you may have.
    ________
    Medical marijuana grow
    Last edited by TOPDAWG; 02-24-2011, 03:59 PM.
    Mike

Comment

As for piping the tank I would hard pipe it unless you live in a earthquake prone area like California.
      ________
      Ford Xb Falcon
      Last edited by TOPDAWG; 02-24-2011, 03:59 PM.
      Mike

Comment

I agree with TOPDAWG. I don't like using flex lines either. I know some guys like to but I always hardpipe my work.

Comment

I installed my parents water heater when I was 15 (29 now). Still no problems and it looks like a total hack job but it lasted 14 years now. Trying to convince my Dad to get a Rheem marathon WH but he won't go for it. I think I should just replace the wh to cya.
          Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

U.S. Craftmaster is still making water heaters and they still have left hand thread thermocouples... My local Hardware supply sells them.

Though they are known around here by their real name "Crapmaster's"

By far the worst water heater ever made! IMO

Comment

Hay Flat 350 ,When was the last E Quake in Chicago ???? Flex is good in Shakey Cal.
              I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Haven't you heard that the New Madrid fault is going to be the next big one here , last time it shook it moved the Mississippi over a mile . Run some good ole Illinois well water thru that copper flex and it will wear out in a couple of years ,maybe it's the barium in the water that does it
                Last edited by flat350; 04-16-2008, 05:20 PM.
                EVERYBODY HAS LEAKS ,JUST DON'T HAVE YOUR"S ON MY JOB !

Comment

As I stated earlier that I installed a A.O.Smith 40 gal gas WH in 1970 and I know sometime in the near future I will have to be installing a new one. What is a good quality unit. know the worst part of it will be getting the old one up the stairs and outside. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by westcoastplumber View Post
                    You may be right, but come down to the supply house and ask the opinion, it is all consistant.

Besides, for what you can get a Bradfor White for, and now the cost of the big box store water heater, it is to close to go witht he crappy one from home depot or lowes.

Besides, once you have a reversed thread thermo couple on a sunday night fail, you lost your savings.

Or a leaker, your gonna rip it out and take it back? you lose by either paying a plumber to go remove it and take it back, pro rate it, and install a new one?

Bradford White has a 6 year tank and 6 year parts warranty. It does not make since to go buy a crappy big box one.
                    Pro Plumbers,
                    I picked up two Bradford 50 gal nat. gas units for two remodeling jobs that suddenly had heater leaks. The price for the Bradford was just like WestCoast stated versus HD/Lowes. Thanks for all the info and helpful hints/links. This seems to be a pretty hot topic based on the different posts and view numbers.
                    One last question: Use compression bushings to connect the 3/4 pipe sections or the sharkbite units?

Comment

Originally posted by reconx View Post
                      Pro Plumbers,
                      I picked up two Bradford 50 gal nat. gas units for two remodeling jobs that suddenly had heater leaks. The price for the Bradford was just like WestCoast stated versus HD/Lowes. Thanks for all the info and helpful hints/links. This seems to be a pretty hot topic based on the different posts and view numbers.
                      One last question: Use compression bushings to connect the 3/4 pipe sections or the sharkbite units?
                      Neither. Do not use flex supplies, Qest couplings, compression unions, or sharkbite fittings. To make sure you have a leakproof connection use dielectric unions if you are installing to copper piping, with solder couplings. If you are dealing with CPVC or PEX make sure you make a solid connection with threaded fittings as appropriate for your your piping and teflon tape.
                      Distractions are everywhere, don't lose sight of your dream.

Comment

Definately check out the Bradford or Lochinvar (same heater). I'm not sure if it's the GE, but it seems like it is, one of them you can't get to the filter if you ever have to brush it. With BW, you might have to snip the very bottom of the jacket a little, but at least laundry or construction dust plugging it up can be cleaned pretty easily. Something to consider if you're putting a heater in a less than ideal environment Some of the thermocouples on the newer heaters have resistors built into them, and when the combustion air gets plugged it takes them out. Not a big deal if you're willing to stock the parts too I guess.
                        sigpic3:00, I mean 5:00, and work is done. Time to crack a cold one.

Comment

You don't need dielectric unions that leak down the road do you? I mean you already have dielectric nipples. Just solder up a female adapter and connect it with a sweat coupling. If you have plastic, around here you have to run something else the first 18" (like copper or galvyuk).
                          sigpic3:00, I mean 5:00, and work is done. Time to crack a cold one.

Comment

I did a search on "shark" and there seems to be good discussions on the forum about their proper use in the plumbing world. I will get bz soldering copper pipe unions just like a proplumber would...I was just hoping to make it ez in and out but I guess not....

Comment

Originally posted by westcoastplumber View Post
                              You may be right, but come down to the supply house and ask the opinion, it is all consistent.

Besides, for what you can get a Bradford White for, and now the cost of the big box store water heater, it is to close to go with he crappy one from home depot or Lowe's.

Besides, once you have a reversed thread thermo couple on a Sunday night fail, you lost your savings.

Or a leaker, your gonna rip it out and take it back? you lose by either paying a plumber to go remove it and take it back, pro rate it, and install a new one?

Bradford White has a 6 year tank and 6 year parts warranty. It does not make since to go buy a crappy big box one.
                              FOR ALL YOU WHO WANT TO KNOW
                              ALL WATER HEATER MFG'S OFFER A 6 YR.
                              PARTS AND TANK WARRANTY ON THEIR RESID. WATER HEATERS,
                              ALSO ALL MFG'S LIMIT THE NEW REPLACEMENT TO THE UNUSED PORTION OF
                              THE FIRST WARRANTY
                              Last edited by JERRYMAC; 05-02-2008, 10:04 PM.
                              JERRYMAC
                              E-MAILJERRYMAC777@GMAIL.COM
                              CALIF. LIC. PLBG,HEAT,DRAINS,ELECTRIC,WATER HEATER, BOILER, POOL AND SPA HEATER
                              FIRE SPRINKLER CONTRACTOR,
                              SINCE JAN. 1989

Comment

Originally posted by quickshot View Post
                                As I stated earlier that I installed a A.O.Smith 40 gal gas WH in 1970 and I know sometime in the near future I will have to be installing a new one. What is a good quality unit. know the worst part of it will be getting the old one up the stairs and outside. Thanks
                                Hmmm... A good quality unit. This is my opinion. Replace with a comparable Rheem or Bradford White tank model. Either one will probably come with factory installed nipples with plastic linings. Two engineers and inspectors have confirmed that a dilectric reaction can occur with direct contact with copper although I haven't found an old setup as this to meter. So you can use dilectric unions but they fail faster than traditional threaded connections in my experience. May sound crazy but use a brass coupling on top of the nipple then sweat a male adapter to copper and connect. Install an extra anode rod of the same material. Drain & clean at least annually. That's it. Should last a long time.

Why not A.O. Smith like your old one? First, A.O. has had a few problems with their FVIR system in my experience. It's a little finicky in the right or wrong situation. This may have been corrected. While on the topic of FVIR make sure that you have proper makeup air for the system. The old one may have been more forgiving while some newer ones can shut down with inproper combustion/vent system.

Second, A.O. Smith uses an aluminum based anode rod. At least for the Southeast. While providing decent protection there is some question as to potential health risks such as Alzheimers. No concrete proof but why risk it. We used to use alot of lead too.

On a conspiracy note I kind of feel heater manufacturers have maybe perfected "failure rates" with thinner linings and steel tanks or different compositions. Otherwise you should be able to replace your heater, do nothing extra or different, and it last 30 years. Provided no water chemical change.

But I doubt it would. I understand it though. They've got to stay in business. And so do we. Good luck! Call a plumber to help!

J.C.

Comment

Working...
                                X