Clear All

Re: Water Heater Replacement

Originally posted by JERRYMAC View Post
    FOR ALL YOU WHO WANT TO KNOW
    ALL WATER HEATER MFG'S OFFER A 6 YR.
    PARTS AND TANK WARRANTY ON THEIR RESID. WATER HEATERS,
    ALSO ALL MFG'S LIMIT THE NEW REPLACEMENT TO THE UNUSED PORTION OF
    THE FIRST WARRANTY
    not exactly according to the bulletin i have read at the supply house.

they are giving full credit to the leaker for the most recent price it was last sold for. lets just say it sold for $325. in 2004.

since the heater has gone up and the new lo nox heater ($450) has replaced the fvir heater. the current price is charged and the difference is paid. $125. for this, the manufacture is giving you a new 6 year warranty.

before when it was an even exchange. then your example was correct.

this is the way i've been told and the way the supply house has posted the bulletin.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

We've been using copper fem adapts to the nipples ever since BW started using them. I've done thousands of hw low pressure calls over the years, and every time I've seen electalysis in the copper it's been male adapts directly into the tank. I was told by BW that they are dielectic nipples, and I've yet to see electralysis in any of them.

Not to digress, but I read brass leaches lead too. How far do we go with paranoia?
      sigpic3:00, I mean 5:00, and work is done. Time to crack a cold one.

Comment

Originally posted by boillerman View Post
        We've been using copper fem adapts to the nipples ever since BW started using them. I've done thousands of hw low pressure calls over the years, and every time I've seen electalysis in the copper it's been male adapts directly into the tank. I was told by BW that they are dielectic nipples, and I've yet to see electralysis in any of them.

Not to digress, but I read brass leaches lead too. How far do we go with paranoia?
        I brought up the same point to the inspector that made me cut out my directly connected to the factory male nipple female copper adapters. Seems alot of things get to the point of engineering redundancy. The heater will probably start leaking before either type of connection were to give a problem.

But in NC (and maybe everywhere, I don't know) the codes are heavily reviewed, controlled, or influenced by the department of insurance. And they are influenced by the insurance company lobbyists. So codes will become more and more stringent in my opinion. Then insurance has to pay less claims. Maybe that's good. I don't know.

Who knows, one day we might be putting in all Type K water distribution with brazed joints.

J.C.

Comment

I have gone to many water heater calls with mip's directly into the tank, especially on 75 gallon, they develop leaks.

I would rather use a 6" brass nipple and then a fip.

I don't use dielectric unions because I have seen those fail and just don't like them, I feel there is a better way to complete the task.

There is a corrigated stainless steel water heater flex line out now, you can tie it in a tight knot and not kink it, it looks like metal conduit, these are less expensive then copper and bend really nicely.
          sigpic

Robert

Comment

Can anyone tell me the flow rate through a standard water heater considering the heat traps and narrowed dielectric nipples?
            The Bradford White high performance heater is only rated at 5 gpm but it has an integral mixing valve at the outlet. It's the only thing holding me back from recommending these.
            "Man will do many things to get himself loved, he will do all things to get himself envied." Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by SlimTim View Post
              Can anyone tell me the flow rate through a standard water heater considering the heat traps and narrowed dielectric nipples?
              The Bradford White high performance heater is only rated at 5 gpm but it has an integral mixing valve at the outlet. It's the only thing holding me back from recommending these.
              5gpm is probably through the heater. then the gpm is increased from the mixing valve i hope.

a regular tank heater is much more than 5 gpm. i know those heat trap nipples can be restrictive, but not down to 5 gpm.

i have a pressure/ and flow gage that i can attempt to connect on the next outdoor installation to get a reading. i would hope to read 15+gpm.
              on a 3/4'' installation. i will get a pre heater reading and a post heater reading. give me a chance to do this as i need an outdoor job to keep it simple.

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                5gpm is probably through the heater. then the gpm is increased from the mixing valve i hope.

a regular tank heater is much more than 5 gpm. i know those heat trap nipples can be restrictive, but not down to 5 gpm.

i have a pressure/ and flow gage that i can attempt to connect on the next outdoor installation to get a reading. i would hope to read 15+gpm.
                on a 3/4'' installation. i will get a pre heater reading and a post heater reading. give me a chance to do this as i need an outdoor job to keep it simple.

rick.
                Thanks Rick, that would be a big help. The tech guy on the phone at Bradford White told me 5gpm out of the mixing valve and I about dropped the phone. I had had high hopes for the BW high performance around here to compete with the tankless but not at those flow rates.
                "Man will do many things to get himself loved, he will do all things to get himself envied." Mark Twain

Comment

Thanks Rick, that would be a big help. The tech guy on the phone at Bradford White told me 5gpm out of the mixing valve and I about dropped the phone. I had had high hopes for the BW high performance around here to compete with the tankless but not at those flow rates.
                  tim, the tech is much more knowledgeable than i would be in their product line.

i can picture that the heater is a high btu with low storage capacity.

the advantage would be that the gas (1/2'')and vent line (4'') would not require changing and it would then be an easy swap.

the 5gpm would be little difference than a regular tankless is now.

please post a link to this model heater. i know i looked into it a couple of weeks ago.

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

You must be speaking of the new 25 gallon with the mixing valve, you set the thermostate all the way up and let it run.

Of course it is going to reduce the GPM, because it has to replace the reheat the incomming water to maintain recovery.

I am getting about 7 to 7.5 from the 9.5 gpm tankless unit right now, on average, the rinnai unit.

This is with incomming water at approx 60 degrees.

Bradford white came out with the 25 gallon unit to compete with the install costs of the tankless retrofits. Bradford also makes a tankless unit, but it is not of the same quality as there tank type and the Rinnai brand.

If you need the model number, I will have to get it from my bradford manuel in my van.
                    Last edited by westcoastplumber; 05-04-2008, 11:08 AM. Reason: messed up on the gallons!
                    sigpic

Robert

Comment

the bradford site is not very user friendly.

i posted the direct link to the heater we are referring to.

there is no info on gpm. only first hour delivery.

5 gpm is probably not very feasable for most residential applications.

http://www.bradfordwhite.com/images/...heets/315B.pdf

rick.
                      phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                        the bradford site is not very user friendly.

i posted the direct link to the heater we are referring to.

there is no info on gpm. only first hour delivery.

5 gpm is probably not very feasable for most residential applications.

http://www.bradfordwhite.com/images/...heets/315B.pdf

rick.

I agree on the Bradford Site, it sucks.

I am glad you found it, I was unable to, I was gonna go down and get the book later.
                        sigpic

Robert

Comment

I wish I had posted this at the discussion forum so I wouldn't be going back and forth so much.

Robert, the hybrid you linked to at the other forum is only 3.5 gpm at 90 degree rise. Our water here for most the winter hovers at 40 degrees.

So, using the hybrid (or tankless for that matter), to supply a storage tank and a recirc, to keep it hot, would keep my gpm up as long I DON'T install a check valve where I indicated in my 2nd drawing. Does that sound correct?

Comment

Originally posted by westcoastplumber View Post
                            I agree on the Bradford Site, it sucks.

I am glad you found it, I was unable to, I was gonna go down and get the book later.
                            Looks like that heater has a very specific application, and residential wouldn't be one of them
                            sigpic3:00, I mean 5:00, and work is done. Time to crack a cold one.

Comment

[quote=SlimTim;140106]Our water here for most the winter hovers at 40 degrees.

Tim, remember the thread awhile back talking about tankless.

Your statement right there is why I steer away from them. Our temps. are about the same. And consumers never consider this. You have to calculate there hot water needs for the coldest times in their year. Go put in 40 degree incoming in any of the tankless models and see what you get.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by boillerman View Post
                                Looks like that heater has a very specific application, and residential wouldn't be one of them
                                Why wouldn't residential be one of them, Boilerman?

Comment

Working...
                                X