X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water Heater Replacement

HD markets a water heater replacement kit consisting of (2) flexible stainless steel hoses, (1) flexible steel gas line, teflon tape, (2) compression fit couplers for $19.99. Does anyone have opinions about this kit? I thought gas lines needed gas pipe compound. Hd also sells copper flexible water lines to be used with compression fit couplers. HD sells the kit in my area so I guess it meets code requirements.
    Any comments on the GE gas water heaters with the 6-9-12 year warranty that is sold by Home Depot?
    Thanks

Re: Water Heater Replacement

Water heaters are illegal to install without a license in my state.
    So...no comment about Home Depot. They make money by convincing everyone to 'do-it-yourself' ...its easy!!!
    Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

the g.e. line of heaters are actually a rheem heater.

stay away from the braided stainless connectors as they burst at the crimp in 3-7 years

get the copper flexes.

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

Home Depot and Lowes water heaters are horrible.

I pull them anywhere from 6 months to 2 years because of leaks or control problems.

They Prorate the warrenty and the customer loses out in the end.

It costs the customer more in the long run.

I can't remember ever pulling out a big box store water heater more then 3 or 4 years old.
        sigpic

Robert

Comment

Originally posted by westcoastplumber View Post
          Home Depot and Lowes water heaters are horrible.

I pull them anywhere from 6 months to 2 years because of leaks or control problems.

They Prorate the warrenty and the customer loses out in the end.

It costs the customer more in the long run.

I can't remember ever pulling out a big box store water heater more then 3 or 4 years old.
          Of course chances are with the water heater that never have a problem the plumber does not get called.

Mark
          "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
            Of course chances are with the water heater that never have a problem the plumber does not get called.

Mark

You may be right, but come down to the supply house and ask the opinion, it is all consistant.

Besides, for what you can get a Bradfor White for, and now the cost of the big box store water heater, it is to close to go witht he crappy one from home depot or lowes.

Besides, once you have a reversed thread thermo couple on a sunday night fail, you lost your savings.

Or a leaker, your gonna rip it out and take it back? you lose by either paying a plumber to go remove it and take it back, pro rate it, and install a new one?

Bradford White has a 6 year tank and 6 year parts warranty. It does not make since to go buy a crappy big box one.
            sigpic

Robert

Comment

Robert,

I don't disagree with you but of course I got stuck with a GE when my heater went out on a weekend.

Mark
              "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                Robert,

I don't disagree with you but of course I got stuck with a GE when my heater went out on a weekend.

Mark

Yeah, I remember the story...when you mentioned it, I went and purchased a

Bradford White just to have in the garage for when yours went out on a sunday
                sigpic

Robert

Comment

those reverse threaded/ left hand thread thermocouples were from american appliance. the same water heaters we would purchase if we used american appliance.

they stopped using the reverse thread now. plus with the flame guard heaters, you typically had to replace the entire door gasket assy, not just the thermocouple.

as far as a prorated heater goes.

the supply houses now prorate the heaters based on the latest selling price of that model and then charge you the current selling price of the new model. out here in southern calif. that could be pretty spendy as we have gone through a few expensive changes. the flame guard 4 years ago and the lo nox jan. 1st. 08.

so don't be surprised to pay anywhere from a couple hundred to a few hundred on a warranted heater, plus labor.

truthfully with a 75 gallon heater that the owner bought from home depot. there was no prorated charge.

also with all the heaters i've done over the years. less than 5% will ever see warranty issues. i've had my fair share of bad name brand heaters too right out of the box and within a few years too.

if the homeowner wants to supply their own heater, fine with me. let them deliver it and dispose of the old heater too.

as far as i'm concerned, the heaters have the same parts from the same manufactures and just a different label.

remember 30-50 gal. heaters use to cost $120- $165, 4.5 years ago. what do you think you're going to get for that?

today the new gas heaters run $400-465. with all the new technology.

still not to expensive considering they last 6 years or longer. mine is going on 20 years last time i checked.

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

Pro-Plumbers,
                    Thanks for your input on the water heater issue. I will go with compression fittings plus 3/4" copper pipes, pipe joint compound and check out the Bradfords. I usually associated the longer warranty typically meant the heater had better components to ensure a better service life and rarely depended on the pro-rated aspect of the warranty.

Comment

my HD 12 year warranty GE gas fired HW heater was installed by my son and i 04/2001. unit is flushed twice a year and we have experienced no problems with it. when purchased, GE confirmed, in writing, that should the tank fail within the 12 year warranty period, i get a new heater, same type and quality, to replace the failed unit. unit is installed with black pipe right up to the gas valve and sweated copper on the domestic water connections.
                      there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

Originally posted by FINER9998 View Post
                        my HD 12 year warranty GE gas fired HW heater was installed by my son and i 04/2001. unit is flushed twice a year and we have experienced no problems with it. when purchased, GE confirmed, in writing, that should the tank fail within the 12 year warranty period, i get a new heater, same type and quality, to replace the failed unit. unit is installed with black pipe right up to the gas valve and sweated copper on the domestic water connections.
                        I was working for a Propane company in 1970 and installed a A.O.Smith 40 gal natural gas water heater and it is still going today-three kids and lots of use-I believe it is getting near the end as we do not have the amount of hot water as we used to.

Comment

THAT THE WAY ALL MFG'S WARRENITYS WORK;

BUT RICK IS ALSO RIGHT IF THE AHJ. HAS MADE DIFFERENT RQUIREMENTS THEN YOU HAVE TO PAY THE PRICE FOR THE UPGRADE
                          AS THE MFG. CAN NO LONGER SUPPLY THE EXACT REPLACEMENT TO NEW CODE.
                          JERRYMAC
                          E-MAILJERRYMAC777@GMAIL.COM
                          CALIF. LIC. PLBG,HEAT,DRAINS,ELECTRIC,WATER HEATER, BOILER, POOL AND SPA HEATER
                          FIRE SPRINKLER CONTRACTOR,
                          SINCE JAN. 1989

Comment

I've seen the copper flex couplers that they sell for water heaters self destruct in a few years with water that is a little aggresive and i don't really like the idea of a flexible gas line in an exposed location .
                            Last edited by flat350; 04-15-2008, 07:12 PM.
                            EVERYBODY HAS LEAKS ,JUST DON'T HAVE YOUR"S ON MY JOB !

Comment

Water heaters. My opinion is that all manufacturers have thinned the linings and the metal tanks. So that if you replace ABC heater that lasted 20 years with the exact same brand/current model it might only last 10 years.

J.C.

Comment

Working...
                              X