X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacing old cast Iron flang for toilet

I need to cut off a old cast iron flang sticking up to high for the new toilet. Is there any thing I can use to cut it close to the new tile floor hight?
    Any help will be appreciated.
    Sincerly
    Jack B

Re: Replacing old cast Iron flang for toilet

Cast Iron cutters. Seriously though, cast iron cutters. Or you can use a sawzall with a cast iron blade. Good luck.

J.C.

Comment

Is it just the flange that is sticking up too high, or does the pipe need to be cut shorter? Is the flange an insta-set (bolt on) or a lead and oakum joint? A pic is worth 1000 words in this instance

Greg

Comment

Hammer and Chisel is all you need. Place the chisel at the notche in the closet ring and hit the chisel a few times with a ballpeen hammer. The cast iron will crack at that point.

Now hit it on the opposite side notch. Use a pry bar after both sides are cracked.

WEAR EYE PROTECTION!!

Better yet, call a plumber to remove the old and install a new flange.

Comment

Thank you. I tryed to use a side cutter with a cutting metal wheel but it is eating up my cutting wheels. It is hard to maneuver around the flang do to the wall and cabnet to make a 180 degree turn.

Comment

Cut grooves with a grinder with thin metal blade and break away pieces with a hammer and chisel.Then cut the pipe with grinder.

Comment

Originally posted by glkearns View Post
              Is it just the flange that is sticking up too high, or does the pipe need to be cut shorter? Is the flange an insta-set (bolt on) or a lead and oakum joint? A pic is worth 1000 words in this instance

Greg
              absolutely right if the flange is leaded on take hammer and hit cast from inside out it will break off to where lead is and your good to go. wear your safety glasses and hold something solid ie wood in front of where your breaking to stop the pieces of cast from becoming shrapnel.

Comment

If this is something you can access from underneath, via a crawlspace or basement, cut it off with a chain break and replace with PVC, making the connection with a flexible coupling.
                Distractions are everywhere, don't lose sight of your dream.

Comment

Working...
                X